Forums > General Industry > What I've learned as a photographer so far.

Photographer

Mystic Mitch Photo

Mount Penn, Pennsylvania, US

I've only been photographing for about two plus years.  While going through the trials and tribulations in regards to arranging photoshoots, I can understand why some newbies would get frustrated and tempted to quit (if they haven't already).  Below is a brief list of what I've learned so far.  Feel free to contribute to this if you'd like.

1. Communication is paramount.  I've dealt with models that would only respond in a few sentences.  Those ones at times resulted in no photoshoot being set up in the end.  The models that I've actually been able to talk in depth with amounted to successful photoshoots.

2. Email is fine for discussing details.  It should not be used as a main source of communication, especially on the day of the shoot itself.  Yes, I can check my email, but it takes much longer than text.  Plus, there is no certainty of when the model gets your message, which makes things even worse on the day you're going to shoot.

3. If the model continues to reschedule or delay things, chances are the photoshoot won't happen.  I went through this with one model about four or five times.  After awhile, you realize it's not even worth it.

4. Ask the model if they will be bringing someone with them.  I have no problem with it, but there's no way of knowing until maybe shortly before the day of the shoot.  It's best to know about this right away.

5. Request the model's phone number and explain to them that it will only be for the purpose of the photoshoot itself.  I always do this and have discovered that some models completely ignore my request or give me their email.  To me, I look at it the way... If you're interested in working with a photographer and yet not willing to give them your number, then how serious are you about modeling?

6. Confirm the day before and then again just before you're heading out to the shoot.  Chances are all should be good to go.  There may be a time or two when you won't get a response.  If you don't hear anything back, personally I'd say to not bother going.  Unless you're okay with taking photos of the landscape, then be my guest.  You might as well forget about that model altogether while you're at it.

Alrighty, so there you go.  This is what I've learned so far.  I'm only going upon my own personal experience.  I'd image others have had different results.  Hopefully what I've shared here will be of some help.

All the best,
- Mystic Mitch

Mar 30 15 06:20 am Link