Forums > General Industry > How to choose talent for short commercial Videos

Photographer

Ortho2000

Ashburn, Virginia, US

Anyone care to offer tips on how to better select talent for short 3-5 minute videos?

I am developing content for some medically oriented websites focusing on skin care and dermatology. The shoots will basically be much like a commentator on the local news, with the talent seated at a desk, speaking into the camera and reading from an off camera script. Topics like acne, botox,and skin cancer will be some of the initial shoots.

I need a photogenic face, a great smile, and a person with a dreamy-smooth, accent-free voice. I may also use a green screen for certain situations.

The MM format does not actually lend itself to easily finding video talent. Any comments would be appreciated.

Mar 31 15 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

Ortho2000 wrote:
Anyone care to offer tips on how to better select talent for short 3-5 minute videos?

I am developing content for some medically oriented websites focusing on skin care and dermatology. The shoots will basically be much like a commentator on the local news, with the talent seated at a desk, speaking into the camera and reading from an off camera script. Topics like acne, botox,and skin cancer will be some of the initial shoots.

I need a photogenic face, a great smile, and a person with a dreamy-smooth, accent-free voice. I may also use a green screen for certain situations.

The MM format does not actually lend itself to easily finding video talent. Any comments would be appreciated.

Everyone has an accent.

Select talent by having an audition and having the talent read from a script. Listen to them. Look at them. Pick the one who sounds most like you want them to, and looks like you want them to.

Apr 01 15 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Check out some of the casting sites that concentrate on actors such as Backstage.com, ActorsAccess.com or CastingNetworks.com  There is a fee for membership and/or advertising but at least you're getting closer to your target audience.

Unfortunately, the "Acting" genre in MM's sidebar all too often refers to blind hope rather than actual experience or skill, but no matter where you look, a certain amount of auditioning and due diligence will be involved and we do have a number of very skilled actors who are also models.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Apr 01 15 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Many commercial talent agencies have "spokesmodels" who specialize in representing client brands in promo, print, and video projects.  This will be much more helpful than any website.

Apr 02 15 09:23 pm Link