Forums > General Industry > France bans thin models. Fines/jail time . .

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

. . for agencies or designers that employ them.

In a surprise move, French politicians passed into law, a ban on hiring or using excessively thin models who fall below an as yet unspecified BMI. Agencies, designers, etc who fail to observe this new law, face a fine of US $82k and up to six months in jail.

Additionally, magazines, advertisers, etc that photoshop/touch up images to make models to look skinnier, bulkier or otherwise different from their natural loo, have to state that they have done so alongside the image or face fines of either US $41k or 30% of the advertising spend, whichever is the greater.

The politicians who put forward these laws apparently feel a healthier, more wholesome look to models should be encouraged within the French fashion industry. Whilst their motives are undoubtedly in the right place, I cannot help but think this is going to impact on the French fashion scene, Paris fashion week and the wider publishing/retouching industry. 

Full story - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … odels.html

No doubt this is going to hit French designers and

Apr 04 15 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Apr 04 15 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

I heard it was in the works but didn't believe it would happen in France of all places.  As usual good intentions gone awry.  Every skinny model is going to turn into a pariah.

Apr 04 15 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I dont anywhere they have to start using size 12 models ?
Is going to Size 1-2 models instead of size 0 going to be such a big deal ?
I think the disclaimer in ads is the way it should be

Apr 04 15 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Rik Austin wrote:
I heard it was in the works but didn't believe it would happen in France of all places.  As usual good intentions gone awry.  Every skinny model is going to turn into a pariah.

I could be wrong but I suspect the net result of this, will simply be that some, perhaps many French designers, agencies and models, will move to London or at least move the major part of their work and their showcase catwalk shows to London, especially given it's less than an hours train ride away.

That may not just be because of the law itself but also because they are so incensed at having it imposed on them. Honestly, I don't think legislation is the way to address this issue.

Apr 04 15 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

Rik Austin wrote:

Women living with anorexia are already being subjected to abuse.  And women who just have small bones and a natural amount of fat also hear it from jerks empowered by these campaigns.

Apr 04 15 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

BMI is such a stupid measurement. Someone could look really thin with a healthy BMI because they have loads of lean muscle. Someone could appear really fit, but be "obese" due to loads of muscle. Someone could appear relatively thin, but average, and have a really low BMI, due to severe lack of muscle. BMI is dumb.

Apr 04 15 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
I dont anywhere they have to start using size 12 models ?
Is going to Size 1-2 models instead of size 0 going to be such a big deal ?
I think the disclaimer in ads is the way it should be

As the recent Sports Illustrated cover showed, it's really easy to get super thin plus size models - just find a skinny 6'2" girl.

Maybe I don't understand skinny-shaming because I'm a dude, so it doesn't apply to me. I have a huge ass for a guy, and there's no male equivalent of Lane Bryant selling skinny jeans for guys with big asses - I just see those clothes as something that isn't meant for me.

But it would seem to me that requiring the use of "realistic" models and no Photoshop, etc. is going the opposite direction from what is actually healthy. It's one thing to compare yourself to something that you could never be - it's another thing to compare yourself to what you could be, but aren't. I don't feel bad about not looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan, or Brad Pitt in Snatch, because I understand that looking like that is a lifestyle, and I've chosen to do something else with my life. But t I do feel bad comparing myself to one of the guys at work, who has basically the same lifestyle as I do, and is older than me, but is in infinitely better physical shape.

Add on the discrepancies between height and size, and next thing you know women are drawing much worse comparisons about themselves than when they were looking at 18 year old girls with killer metabolisms and personal trainers.

But again, I'm a dude. I'm probably not looking at the issue the right way.

Apr 04 15 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Jason Haven wrote:
BMI is such a stupid measurement. Someone could look really thin with a healthy BMI because they have loads of lean muscle. Someone could appear really fit, but be "obese" due to loads of muscle. Someone could appear relatively thin, but average, and have a really low BMI, due to severe lack of muscle. BMI is dumb.

It's been a long time since I was a gym rat. But at one point I had about a 12% measured body fat, wasn't even close to having a six pack(I had four!), and my BMI said I was about ten pounds shy of obesity.

I've lost lots of muscle, but only weigh a few pounds more. Which means that even though my body fat is probably around 16%, I'm still in the same shape by the BMI chart.

Apr 04 15 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

They are just trying to support the high calorie French cuisine industry!:-)))  some Pate De Foie Gras, boiled truffles in hollandaise sauce and SPAM please!!!:-)))

Apr 04 15 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

In the real world it makes sense. How many women looking to buy these fashions can actually fit in these as they are presented and look on the runway? Im willing to bet Not Many.

Apr 04 15 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Art Silva wrote:
In the real world it makes sense. How many women looking to buy these fashions can actually fit in these as they are presented and look on the runway? Im willing to bet Not Many.

Rather than discriminating against the models based on their body size/shape....

Perhaps they should be regulating the sizes/measurements that the designers are permitted to feature, for example, if garments must be for a size 2 or size 4 (and specify what that means in terms of measurements), would they still want to cast a size 00 rail-thin model or would they want to cast the person who makes the garment look the best.

It is not like this is such a new thing, remember when flight attendants not only needed to be thin, pretty, and female, but they also NEEDED to be unmarried, and that was company policy for airlines.

The problem is not with the models, it is a combination of the designers and the agencies trying to pressure for thinner and thinner, so rather than discriminating against models, regulate the garment size, NOT legislate that it would literally be illegal to hire skinny people because they are projecting an unhealthy image.

Maybe no transgendered people in advertising, because to some that send the wrong message too.  (Not in my opinion, just playing devils advocate there.)

If models are considering role models and things that people looking at magazines/advertising will aspire to be like, then maybe we need to legislate that obese people can't be teachers, since children look up to teachers also.

They may have good intentions, but the method and manner of trying to "fix" the "problem" is terrible.

Apr 04 15 07:13 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

Rather than discriminating against the models based on their body size/shape....

Perhaps they should be regulating the sizes/measurements that the designers are permitted to feature, for example, if garments must be for a size 2 or size 4 (and specify what that means in terms of measurements), would they still want to cast a size 00 rail-thin model or would they want to cast the person who makes the garment look the best.

It is not like this is such a new thing, remember when flight attendants not only needed to be thin, pretty, and female, but they also NEEDED to be unmarried, and that was company policy for airlines.

The problem is not with the models, it is a combination of the designers and the agencies trying to pressure for thinner and thinner, so rather than discriminating against models, regulate the garment size, NOT legislate that it would literally be illegal to hire skinny people because they are projecting an unhealthy image.

Maybe no transgendered people in advertising, because to some that send the wrong message too.  (Not in my opinion, just playing devils advocate there.)

If models are considering role models and things that people looking at magazines/advertising will aspire to be like, then maybe we need to legislate that obese people can't be teachers, since children look up to teachers also.

They may have good intentions, but the method and manner of trying to "fix" the "problem" is terrible.

It's not really fair to compare flight attendants to models. The flight attendants HAVE to fit down those tiny aisles. It was a lot of being practical. At one time I wanted to be a flight attendant. The applications were ridiculous. Do you have braces? What kind of braces? It's a fantasy, just as a model on a runway is a fantasy. I have a sister that is anorexic so I can see maybe France is actually trying to help women. Models are dying.

Apr 04 15 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

Blatant big government bullshit discrimination.  And yes we have it here,  just in different forms.

Apr 04 15 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Isis22 wrote:
It's not really fair to compare flight attendants to models. The flight attendants HAVE to fit down those tiny aisles. It was a lot of being practical. At one time I wanted to be a flight attendant. The applications were ridiculous. Do you have braces? What kind of braces? It's a fantasy, just as a model on a runway is a fantasy. I have a sister that is anorexic so I can see maybe France is actually trying to help women. Models are dying.

Perhaps you missed my multiple references as to it being a past-tense situation.  I was talking about the 1960's.  (The "remember when", single, unmarried should have been a hint I was not referring to today.)

I've had many friends with eating disorders, this IS an issue that I am sensitive to, but legally discriminating against women based on their BMI is NOT the proper solution.

Did you see me say they are NOT trying to help?  Of course they think they are helping, but they are trying to treat the symptom, not the cause.

Yes, models are dying.  Skinny girls with eating disorders who are not models are dying.  Obese people are dying too.

What I am saying is this is not the proper solution to the problem, even though it is the solution we will probably get.  They need to go after the cause, not the effect/symptom, and not discriminate against healthy women who are naturally thin but don't measure up to a government set standard which only considers a frequently not accurate measure of health.

If they want to change the "sizes" in fashion/advertising they should legislate a minimum size/dress form for the garments, not the models.  If that is not enough, then the agencies should be liable if models have health problems which they induce/promote, but not something as sketchy as a minimum bmi.

Apr 04 15 07:38 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

Perhaps you missed my multiple references as to it being a past-tense situation.  I was talking about the 1960's.  (The "remember when", single, unmarried should have been a hint I was not referring to today.)

I've had many friends with eating disorders, this IS an issue that I am sensitive to, but legally discriminating against women based on their BMI is NOT the proper solution.

Did you see me say they are NOT trying to help?  Of course they think they are helping, but they are trying to treat the symptom, not the cause.

Yes, models are dying.  Skinny girls with eating disorders who are not models are dying.  Obese people are dying too.

What I am saying is this is not the proper solution to the problem, even though it is the solution we will probably get.  They need to go after the cause, not the effect/symptom, and not discriminate against healthy women who are naturally thin but don't measure up to a government set standard which only considers a frequently not accurate measure of health.

If they want to change the "sizes" in fashion/advertising they should legislate a minimum size/dress form for the garments, not the models.  If that is not enough, then the agencies should be liable if models have health problems which they induce/promote, but not something as sketchy as a minimum bmi.

Flight attendants TODAY still have to be a certain size.

This is the solution that has already been passed in France. Honestly there is not a thing we can do about it. I think it's a good step. As a model I see many, many models in print, on catwalks, on TV, etc that are anorexic. I don't hear photographers saying the same thing. It's rare for a model to be as naturally thin as they are. Did you read the first article the OP posted the link to? Did you see the accompanying pictures? The only way things will change is if the industry is forced to change. I will not that they have not even stated what BMI will be the cutoff point. As for those who claim muscle will skew the results show me a model that has so much muscle the BMI will be invalid.

Apr 04 15 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

- Phil H - wrote:
In a surprise move, French politicians passed into law, a ban on hiring or using excessively thin models who fall below an as yet unspecified BMI. Agencies, designers, etc who fail to observe this new law, face a fine of US $82k and up to six months in jail.

The politicians who put forward these laws apparently feel a healthier, more wholesome look to models should be encouraged within the French fashion industry.

This is so moronic... it's beyond the pale!

There is again the proof that politicians are out for votes out of personal interest and not for public health.

Among psychiatrists and clinical psychologists (like one of my best friends who is also a designer) it is known that the fashion industry has absolutely nothing to do with anorexia.

This psychological disorder has to do with control issues within a family, where the usually highly intelligent girl, with middle to upper class parents feels that she is not in control of her life, and the only thing she can control is her own body...

But... the media... and the fat constituents of the politicians fell into the trap of yellow press sensationalism and takes swift, but totally useless action against skinny girls!

I am so sick and tired of those people...

It's just like the two Spanish politicians who are both overweight (man and a woman), who set BMI standards for Madrid fashion week... which I still believe that this was a publicity stunt on many levels, including putting Madrid Fashion Week "on the calendar" because until then, most people didn't know that there was a Madrid FW...

Happy Ostara, everyone!

EDIT: Instead of demanding a moronic BMI (which was designed for livestock not humans), why don't they just get a physicians bill of health, to show that the model is healthy, independent from her weight appearance?!

Apr 04 15 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Isis22 wrote:
Flight attendants TODAY still have to be a certain size. .

Right, so do firefighters.

That wasn't the point, even though it is the one you've keyed in on.

The point was all the other things I mentioned were because of marketing and what they thought were ascetic values (similar to designers and agencies role in modeling), and that is what this situation in modeling is about.

The problem is the designers and the agencies, yet this only punishes the models.

They need to fix the problem, not take those thought of as victims of this problem and make it even harder for them to earn a living, especially if they are just naturally thin and healthy rather than having an eating disorder.

This punishes the victims rather than fixes the problem.

Apr 04 15 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Isis22 wrote:
Did you read the first article the OP posted the link to? Did you see the accompanying pictures? The only way things will change is if the industry is forced to change. I will not that they have not even stated what BMI will be the cutoff point. As for those who claim muscle will skew the results show me a model that has so much muscle the BMI will be invalid.

You've clearly totally missed the point that I did NOT say the industry should not change or should not be forced to change, what I said is that this is the wrong way to accomplish that change.

I read articles yesterday which stated the law that passed calls for a minimum BMI of 18 prior to being hired for the job and again after doing the job.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/anore … in-n335091

I've seen pictures these for years, and it isn't my job to educate you on why BMI is full of fail, nor be "corrected" by you when apparently you're not even aware of what is the actual measure that was legislated.

Apr 04 15 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Isis22 wrote:

Flight attendants TODAY still have to be a certain size.

This is the solution that has already been passed in France. Honestly there is not a thing we can do about it. I think it's a good step. As a model I see many, many models in print, on catwalks, on TV, etc that are anorexic. I don't hear photographers saying the same thing. It's rare for a model to be as naturally thin as they are. Did you read the first article the OP posted the link to? Did you see the accompanying pictures? The only way things will change is if the industry is forced to change. I will not that they have not even stated what BMI will be the cutoff point. As for those who claim muscle will skew the results show me a model that has so much muscle the BMI will be invalid.

From the linked BBC article:
"models would have to present a medical certificate showing a BMI - the ratio of height to weight - of at least 18 before being hired for a job.
The average BMI for a woman in France is said to be 23.2.

Doctors say a normal BMI for adults is between 18.5 and 24.9, but some critics say the measure is not the best way of judging a healthy weight."

Apr 04 15 08:14 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

As the recent Sports Illustrated cover showed, it's really easy to get super thin plus size models - just find a skinny 6'2" girl.

Maybe I don't understand skinny-shaming because I'm a dude, so it doesn't apply to me. I have a huge ass for a guy, and there's no male equivalent of Lane Bryant selling skinny jeans for guys with big asses - I just see those clothes as something that isn't meant for me.

But it would seem to me that requiring the use of "realistic" models and no Photoshop, etc. is going the opposite direction from what is actually healthy. It's one thing to compare yourself to something that you could never be - it's another thing to compare yourself to what you could be, but aren't. I don't feel bad about not looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan, or Brad Pitt in Snatch, because I understand that looking like that is a lifestyle, and I've chosen to do something else with my life. But t I do feel bad comparing myself to one of the guys at work, who has basically the same lifestyle as I do, and is older than me, but is in infinitely better physical shape.

Add on the discrepancies between height and size, and next thing you know women are drawing much worse comparisons about themselves than when they were looking at 18 year old girls with killer metabolisms and personal trainers.

But again, I'm a dude. I'm probably not looking at the issue the right way.

I agree, end slim shaming! sad

Apr 05 15 12:26 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Wait a minute...

Claiming that a thin person is the reason someone else has a psychological disorder and so should loose work, livihood and be treated as a shamed creature is about as logical as claiming that anyone else is the reason another person has a psychological disorder.

Do we fire everyone that anyone else can point their finger to as being a part in their own issues??

Wrong.

Apr 05 15 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

Jen B wrote:
Do we fire everyone that anyone else can point their finger to as being a part in their own issues??

Can we start with Congress?

Apr 05 15 02:00 am Link

Photographer

DDDDC Photos

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rik Austin wrote:

Nope, not so! Hit an In-an-Out, DD animal style, fries, chocolate shake, twice a week you'll be 125 plus in no time. The models will luv it, must eat to keep working. big_smile

Apr 05 15 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Jen B wrote:
Wait a minute...

Claiming that a thin person is the reason someone else has a psychological disorder and so should loose work, livihood and be treated as a shamed creature is about as logical as claiming that anyone else is the reason another person has a psychological disorder.

Wrong.

I don't think we blame skinny PEOPLE. The way the conversations go, we usually blame the industry, and talk about skinny models like they're not even people. They're just product in that dialogue.

At least racists blame "the blacks", or " foreigners." It's no better, but at least it's honest. Complaining about people being too thin is usually done in such a way that one can turn around and say, "But not you, honey. It's not your fault - other people made you this way."

That is goddamn condescending.

Apr 05 15 06:07 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Prolens Photography wrote:

Nope, not so! Hit an In-an-Out, DD animal style, fries, chocolate shake, twice a week you'll be 125 plus in no time. The models will luv it, must eat to keep working. big_smile

I can only speak from first perspective on my own history but, I took your advice basically from age 17-27 and I made it UP to 125!! However after that age I was an athlete and while I went on to weight a whopping 133, (nearly broke the bank for me to eat like the horse I had to in order to do that...) My BMI at the time was still under 17 when calculated for the team I was in. Now, I'm definitely a lot higher than that but, i had another 20 to keep working on it.

Just saying, your logic doesn't necessarily work. Besides eating to gain like that for me, was like a part time job and...bull.
Jen

Apr 05 15 06:33 am Link

Photographer

m_s_photo

Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada

Do you suppose they'll be banning fat ones next?

Apr 05 15 06:42 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

m_s_photo wrote:
Do you suppose they'll be banning fat ones next?

No, morbid obesity is not as offensive as being skinny. To a dingbat, fool, waste of votes politician.

Apr 05 15 07:10 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Wonder if models with a BMI over 24.9 will then be considered "Unhealthy" and the same laws will apply?  I'll wager they won't.

Somewhere, we went from thin and jumped right into Plus size and bypassed Normal size.  Although we have maybe too many Plus sizes in this town.  Petite sizes then should be banned as well.  Fat is the new norm, and when did fat butts become the new number one cosmetic surgery mod?

A model called "Twiggy" caused a big scene in my era for being thin.  She is still alive and modeling, acting, and singing at age 51.  Actually, a lot of old B&W TV shows from the 50-60's they all looked thin compared to those outside my window now - okay, inside too.

Somehow, there is probably a lot of haters against thin people in general.  We have a large park where weekends are full of families eating and their kids are fat as well as the parents.  Drive down the road a couple of miles and there is a large outdoor soccer complex and all the kids playing there are the complete opposites of the BBQ kids and very thin.  Some are distance joggers on the bike trail and quite thin too, but I'll guess they are far healthier than the park kids at the BBQ.

Maybe time to pack up Paris Fashion Week and head somewhere else.  The weight police are coming out with their fines.

Oh, and anyone using Photoshop should be fined $40K too for creating unrealistic expectations - add on Landscape photographers too because I cannot shoot those for crap!  ;o)

Apr 05 15 07:41 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

This is so ridiculous. BMI is a terrible measurement, many models are just naturally thin, claiming that thin models cause anorexia is ludicrous...

Apr 05 15 07:58 am Link

Model

M I K H A I L

Chicago, Illinois, US

Prolens Photography wrote:

Well...that would not work for me. smile My weight's always been well below 125 because of my bone structure and other factors, even when I've tried to gain weight. I became thinner after I got diabetes and simply can't gain that much weight in the way you describe (not only because I'm diabetic and have to stay "low carb" at all times, but because of how my metabolism works).

udor wrote:
EDIT: Instead of demanding a moronic BMI (which was designed for livestock not humans), why don't they just get a physicians bill of health, to show that the model is healthy, independent from her weight appearance?!

I like this idea, as I absolutely agree the BMI is not a reliable indicator of health relative to weight for humans, who vary widely in bone structure and other physiological features. I can get a note from my doctor at any time explaining my health status and in the shoes of a female model would be willing to do so.

DougBPhoto wrote:

I agree with you. In practice, it doesn't solve the problem; it just creates more issues. I'm also sure people will find ways to work around this policy (i.e., loopholes) as others have mentioned here.

Jen B wrote:
I can only speak from first perspective on my own history but, I took your advice basically from age 17-27 and I made it UP to 125!! However after that age I was an athlete and while I went on to weight a whopping 133, (nearly broke the bank for me to eat like the horse I had to in order to do that...) My BMI at the time was still under 17 when calculated for the team I was in. Now, I'm definitely a lot higher than that but, i had another 20 to keep working on it.

Just saying, your logic doesn't necessarily work. Besides eating to gain like that for me, was like a part time job and...bull.
Jen

It really is like a part-time job (that I'm not going to get paid for) and really can break the bank! It's expensive enough for me to eat what I need to eat as a diabetic, and eating to gain bulk is even more expensive.

Apr 05 15 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Art Silva wrote:

+1,000

Yes, I agree!

Apr 05 15 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Government knows what's best for us.

I'm sure they mean well.

Apr 05 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

This law exists to reduce anorexia rates.

What happens if in a year or two or five the rates haven't declined?

Apr 05 15 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
This law exists to deduce anorexia rates.

The law will fail like many(most) other’s
But that’s not the Primary benefit I see

Apr 05 15 09:11 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
This law exists to deduce anorexia rates.

Interesting question. If I had to put money on it, fuck all.

Apr 05 15 09:11 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

Jay  Edwards wrote:
Government knows what's best for us.

I'm sure they mean well.

It's an excellent argument for a new system where only experts in the fields make decisions on different areas of government - only economists decide economic policy, only doctors decide health policy, etc. Rather than politicians who are expected to be jacks of all trades and make decisions based on 0.01% of available information.

Apr 05 15 09:13 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I was very surprised that France did this. Of all the countries heavily involved in fashion I thought France would be the last or close to the last to pass a law like this.

Apr 05 15 09:27 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I see they haven't yet disclosed the actual BMI that will be acceptable, and how it will be determined. 

Regarding the supposed discrimination... if you haven't considered it discriminatory that ultra-thin models have historically been used in fashion, then you can't exactly talk discrimination when the industry starts hiring models a size bigger.

I personally don't care what size fashion models are, although you'd think fashion would be marketed to buyers using more average sizes/heights or at least a variety of sizes and heights.  Marketing 101 - know your target market...

The military used BMI for years (maybe they still do - I have been out of the AF for many years.) There are always healthy people who fall outside those ranges, and need special approval and/or further assessment to enlist and serve.  I worked for the office that handled those special approvals... it was a tough job looking through the waiver application packets full of 8x10 glossies of body-builders... sigh....

Apr 05 15 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

ValHig wrote:

It's an excellent argument for a new system where only experts in the fields make decisions on different areas of government - only economists decide economic policy, only doctors decide health policy, etc. Rather than politicians who are expected to be jacks of all trades and make decisions based on 0.01% of available information.

Using the free market is an even better ''argument''...

Apr 05 15 09:29 am Link