Forums > Newbie Forum > Scam Alert

Model

DividedMind

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Hi everyone,
I'm new to MM (I've been on for a few months now..)

1) A casting call was sent to my inbox - Paid gig, "East bay Photography" (John Maxwell). Shoot in WPB, pay is $1200 for the shoot.

I'm local, in West Palm Beach (WPB), so I applied, and was accepted.

The terms were - You will receive "a check" for "x" amount. $400 is to be kept for "upfront costs", and the rest is to be forwarded to the designer for Wardrobe costs.

You will only be given instructions as to where to send the money to (whoever this "designer" is) once you cash the check via Money Gram.

Then, (supposedly) the designer will mail you your wardrobe, you attend the shoot, get paid $800 and get your CD's images etc.

I received the check...

It was from "Physicians Mutual Insurance" (a company that specializes in offering various insurance programs and annuities).

I did some research and asked some more questions -

1) Why am I paying the designer and not you?

2) You just sent 3k to someone you don't know??????

3) Do you have a website, work done, portfolio that I can see?? (thus far my research hadn't come up with anything..)

4) Why has your profile been "removed" or "awaiting approval" on MM.

ALL RED FLAGS...I'M NO IDIOT...

I got a response...typical...

Apparently their facebook page and website had been "hacked" by local "jealous" photographers.
The money had to be sent to the designer by me as the clothing would remain mine...
He would send previous work to me via email when he could
etc. etc..

I emailed a photographer on MM who chimed in...but I really didn't need much help...I'm no idiot...this had scam written all over it.

So, I've backed up all emails, texts, scanned a copy of the check and USPS flat rate envelope it was sent in.

I've sent an email advising -

I'll be notifying USPS that this is to be returned to sender and NOT be re-sent to me.
Please cease all form of communication with me
Regardless of how i feel (scam or not) I do not feel comfortable moving forward.

All backed up and the envelope is ready to be returned.

Finally, I've added, if in fact this is legitimate (which i highly highly highly doubt) then good luck on your project.

Just thought I'd let you guys know...I'm new here...but my background is in business...not even sure why it took so long for me to tell them to get lost...

Its the money dangling in front of you - specifically when you see it - and "they" know your a new Model (or aspiring model) and want to build your portfolio, be recognizable enough to get paid and so on...that makes you more vulnerable.

Chris
ModelMayhem.com/DividedMind

Apr 06 15 06:36 pm Link

Model

CleopatraOC

Westminster, California, US

Another Scam Alert sent from someone named "Miss Sara Bella."  They even used 2 different emails to message:

Miss Sara Bella <[email protected]>
Aug 1 (5 days ago)

to bcc: Bookings
Hello,

My name is Miss Sara Bella,professional photographer/Manager.I got your contact on Model mayhem.mayhem. I've a client who wants to update her Catalog with her new year Fashion outfits release & I'm interested in you for the shooting your pay for the job will be $2,500.If you're interested get back to me asap.
This is to acknowledge the receipt of your email and information provided, has for your question yes but the web site is under construction she want to use the catalog for the web site that's while she's hosting the shooting hope you understand.
Thanks,
Miss Sara Bella.
Text: (401) 655-2603
Email: [email protected]

Aug 06 15 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Same standard old Nigerian Scam! Been going (and working) for decades!
Works because some (newer or younger) people don't use logic, are drawn to easy money, and are too quick to supply email without checking further.
Always beware of people too-urgently wanting your email, right at the start! Red flag! Never rush to give out your email or other private info. Never post them! Use MM's private messages and the forums to get more info, and greatly limit who gets your email, & other info.
If you have already supplied that, expect more scams, as that info gets passed around/sold.
Don't trust random unsolicited outside emails! Don't reply to them!

Aug 07 15 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

+1 to all of the above.

And welcome to the mayhem!

smile

Aug 07 15 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

DividedMind wrote:
The terms were - You will receive "a check" for "x" amount. $400 is to be kept for "upfront costs", and the rest is to be forwarded to the designer for Wardrobe costs.

You will only be given instructions as to where to send the money to (whoever this "designer" is) once you cash the check via Money Gram.
I received the check...

It was from "Physicians Mutual Insurance" (a company that specializes in offering various insurance programs and annuities).
2) You just sent 3k to someone you don't know??????
4) Why has your profile been "removed" or "awaiting approval" on MM.

The check is fake - doesn't really matter who it was from.  If your bank accepts it, it will bounce after you have forwarded the $3000 and you will be in a world of hurt.

2) I don't understand why more people don't think like you did.

4) MM has already identified the scammer and removed the profile.  Typically the scammer wants to switch correspondence to email ASAP.

Aug 07 15 06:43 am Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

Sadly, that is quite a regular scam, just glad you realised it before any damage done!

Good luck to you.

Aug 07 15 10:20 pm Link