Forums > General Industry > Looking for feedback on my idea :)

Model

jonoedmeades

Milan, Lombardy, Italy

Hi guys,

Since I wrote on my MM profile that Im keen to help out aspiring models, Ive had a ton of questions and even skyped with both guys and girls wanting to get into the industry.

I wanted some feedback on an idea I'm working on for us aspiring creatives to find, and talk directly to experienced seniors in our industry.
I've built a 'coming soon' page at www.dunnit.me with more info.

Would love to know your honest (please dont hold back) opinions on topics like

a) whether people even want to talk to experienced creatives?
b) how much would you pay to speak to someone at the top if anything?
c) what creative industries need mentors?
d) specifically who would you pay to talk to and how much?
e) anything else!!

Thanks in advance

Apr 15 15 03:10 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

In response to: e) anything else!!

I think it would be a great idea if You would stop spamming the boards

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/943782

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/943781

You're Welcome!

Apr 15 15 03:34 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Your site looks good and in photography you do have a few established creatives with some major clients.

Apr 15 15 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Fifty One Imaging wrote:

You're Welcome!

Yes --- duplicate posting is against the rules.  You might want to take the time to read the stickies at the top of each forum.  It will make your experience here more productive.

As to your specific questions:

My experience has been that most folks only want reassurance rather than helpful advice most of the time.  Note the fact that we have the Big Buddy thread in the Newbie Forum as well as Mentoring threads in each of the industry forums.  They are all woefully underutilized by newbies.  In the forums themselves, most of the requests for practical help with problem solving tend to come from people who already have a fair degree of sophistication.  It's most often a peer-to-peer exchange.

b) how much would you pay to speak to someone at the top if anything? The better question would be "Why would someone at the top waste his time with someone who has to pay for advice?"  Over the years I've been at or near the top of several industries or community activities (which tends to get you close to the leaders in most industries) and I've found that the leaders are quite willing to talk to anyone bringing something to the table such as workable ideas that might improve something, but have very little interest in people that just want to pick their brains.  The "experts" who sell their "knowledge" tend to be just working stiffs trying to pick up a few bucks or to make a living on the fringes of an industry in which they've been unable to compete themselves.  It's always good to at least consider the motto, "Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach."

c) what creative industries need mentors?   All do and all truly committed creatives find their own mentors.  Remember, though, that mentoring is a two-way street, a combination of congeniality, mutually supportive talents and vision and a shared goal.  It's much like marriage.  Indeed, (And let me apologize in advance to those rubbed the wrong way by this--Remember, I've been both both a mentor and a teacher in my day) mentoring is to teaching as marriage is to prostitution.  In the one case it's a matter of commitment and in the other a matter of expediency, and in most cases the reality lies somewhere in the middle.

d) specifically who would you pay to talk to and how much? A Doctor who is treating me, A Mechanic who is fixing my car or my refrigerator, A Lawyer who is trying to keep me out of jail, folks like that.  And in all cases as little as possible, but as much as necessary.

e) anything else!!   Nope.

Apr 15 15 07:03 am Link

Model

jonoedmeades

Milan, Lombardy, Italy

Fifty One Imaging wrote:

You're Welcome!

Sorry!

Rays Fine Art wrote:
Yes --- duplicate posting is against the rules.  You might want to take the time to read the stickies at the top of each forum.  It will make your experience here more productive.

As to your specific questions:

My experience has been that most folks only want reassurance rather than helpful advice most of the time.  Note the fact that we have the Big Buddy thread in the Newbie Forum as well as Mentoring threads in each of the industry forums.  They are all woefully underutilized by newbies.  In the forums themselves, most of the requests for practical help with problem solving tend to come from people who already have a fair degree of sophistication.  It's most often a peer-to-peer exchange.

b) how much would you pay to speak to someone at the top if anything? The better question would be "Why would someone at the top waste his time with someone who has to pay for advice?"  Over the years I've been at or near the top of several industries or community activities (which tends to get you close to the leaders in most industries) and I've found that the leaders are quite willing to talk to anyone bringing something to the table such as workable ideas that might improve something, but have very little interest in people that just want to pick their brains.  The "experts" who sell their "knowledge" tend to be just working stiffs trying to pick up a few bucks or to make a living on the fringes of an industry in which they've been unable to compete themselves.  It's always good to at least consider the motto, "Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach."

c) what creative industries need mentors?   All do and all truly committed creatives find their own mentors.  Remember, though, that mentoring is a two-way street, a combination of congeniality, mutually supportive talents and vision and a shared goal.  It's much like marriage.  Indeed, (And let me apologize in advance to those rubbed the wrong way by this--Remember, I've been both both a mentor and a teacher in my day) mentoring is to teaching as marriage is to prostitution.  In the one case it's a matter of commitment and in the other a matter of expediency, and in most cases the reality lies somewhere in the middle.

d) specifically who would you pay to talk to and how much? A Doctor who is treating me, A Mechanic who is fixing my car or my refrigerator, A Lawyer who is trying to keep me out of jail, folks like that.  And in all cases as little as possible, but as much as necessary.

e) anything else!!   Nope.

Firstly thanks for the detailed reply, I really appreciate the time it must have taken.
I must admit I agree with a lot of what you say and I'll definitely keep it in mind. A big part of being creative is simply putting yourself out there and reassurance is something that almost all of us crave in the beginning.

It will be aimed more at creatives who want to make a move up to the next level eg. wedding photographer to fashion photographer, or a freelance stylist who would like to be agency represented etc.

So maybe it is less mentoring and more career consulting...

Apr 15 15 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Moderator Note!
The duplicate threads were closed.  Let's keep to this one.  Thanks.

Apr 15 15 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

jonoedmeades wrote:
d) specifically who would you pay to talk to and how much?

I would pay (and have paid) for coaching sessions with people whom I know and respect.

Apr 19 15 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

jonoedmeades wrote:
Since I wrote on my MM profile that Im keen to help out aspiring models, Ive had a ton of questions and even skyped with both guys and girls wanting to get into the industry.

e) anything else!!

Thanks in advance

In making a statement like this, one should expect to be asked what their credentials are, what qualifies them to offer advice and are they peer acknowledged as being suitably qualified/experienced within a particular field, to offer sound advice.

For example, if you're keen to help and have offered advice, obvious questions would be . . . what agencies have you been signed with and how long for, what are your professional credits, who have you worked/walked, etc for. what do you consider to be the pinnacle of your achievements in your field?

If you and/or your "experts" can't provide verifiable, relevant "wow" answers to questions such as these, answers that mark you out as someone with peer acknowledged experience in a particular field,  people will be reluctant to spend money hiring you. 

It's also worth bearing in mind, that there are many acknowledged, highly experienced members of the various modeling/photography related industries on this site, willing to offer their advice for free, right here in the forums, through the various mentor programs on the site and via MM's EDU section.
As such, you're unlikely to find many takers here on MM for such a service.

Apr 19 15 07:55 pm Link