Forums > Model Colloquy > List of modeling agencies in Los Angeles, CA??

Model

Lauren E Poole

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I'm traveling to California (Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Hollwood, and surrounding areas) on the exact date of August 19th.

My goal right now is to contact agencies who would potentially be interested in representing me, so I can set up interviews with them before arriving.  I'm trying to plan ahead, so I don't waste too much time searching when I get there.

If you know of any LINKS that list agencies or know of agencies to suggest, let's hear it.

Thanks a lot.

-Lauren

Apr 15 15 06:29 am Link

Model

Lauren E Poole

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Please and thanks...

Apr 15 15 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

IMHO.. I think you're going to run into problems finding legitimate modeling agencies in LA who would sign / represent someone under 5'8'.

Apr 15 15 04:31 pm Link

Model

Lauren E Poole

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Images by MR wrote:
IMHO.. I think you're going to run into problems finding legitimate modeling agencies in LA who would sign / represent someone under 5'8'.

Interesting.  Good thing I also work as a brand ambassador, promotional model, and other things in the talent business that don't focus too much on height...  and they have those jobs in CA.

Apr 15 15 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Claude Vorgeack

Los Angeles, California, US

Get a copy of this at your bookstore: http://backstage.com/CallSheet

It's about $10 and it gets updated several times a year. Most comprehensive list of agencies I know of.

Apr 16 15 10:25 pm Link

Model

Lauren E Poole

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Jean-Claude Photo wrote:
Get a copy of this at your bookstore: http://backstage.com/CallSheet

It's about $10 and it gets updated several times a year. Most comprehensive list of agencies I know of.

Thank you so much.  I'm going to check it out.

Apr 17 15 07:34 am Link

Model

Jocabed

Miami, Florida, US

Go on Models.com and see the "Top women agencies," tab under rankings. You can also just google modeling agencies in California and check out their websites to be sure they are what you're looking for. Good luck!

Apr 17 15 07:51 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I'd also check out their Yelp reviews and some of their Facebook comments.  Comments range from "I haven't got paid in six months (or ever!)" to "They want me to pay them for more training." "They want me to work as runway model for free." "Pay to be scouted by a Paris agency."  Etc.  Some are sketchy in that they move a lot too, and some several times a year and maybe skipping rent or lease due to financial issues.  Some offices look like card tables for desks holding computers and can fold up and be gone by 5 PM.  Some change their names for whatever reason, but same players behind the doors.

A lot of agencies will take anything that walks through their doors having sat waiting for the booker in some of them.  Seems their customer is often the model and not they guy sitting there waiting to do the hiring.  I wouldn't be surprised if many models pay more to the agency than they make out of them either.  Does look impressive to see maybe 100 models on their wall against another with only 10.  Then some hanging there may no longer be rep'd by them, but just attractive "wall or web fillers."

Just do a lot of research, but don't expect miracles or a lot of bookings out of them.  Most I know network themselves a lot outside of their agency who may only get them a couple of gigs a year, and that doesn't pay the high rent in LA (15' studio apt. can be $750/mo.).  Some know the same publications the agencies get work from and seek out the jobs themselves.  There are some in LA who only model 24/7 and are quite busy and they have a lot of repeat clients (Reliable. Answer emails daily. Stroke their client's egos. Etc.), but does seem many others have other jobs as their mainstay income.  Very few are truly driven and treat it as a personal job and their own private business.  Too many others want the agency to do their work for them and make them rich, but only outside their normal job, schedule, family, college, travel, etc.

Good luck.

Apr 17 15 09:25 am Link

Model

Lauren E Poole

Memphis, Tennessee, US

GRMACK wrote:
I'd also check out their Yelp reviews and some of their Facebook comments.  Comments range from "I haven't got paid in six months (or ever!)" to "They want me to pay them for more training." "They want me to work as runway model for free." "Pay to be scouted by a Paris agency."  Etc.  Some are sketchy in that they move a lot too, and some several times a year and maybe skipping rent or lease due to financial issues.  Some offices look like card tables for desks holding computers and can fold up and be gone by 5 PM.  Some change their names for whatever reason, but same players behind the doors.

A lot of agencies will take anything that walks through their doors having sat waiting for the booker in some of them.  Seems their customer is often the model and not they guy sitting there waiting to do the hiring.  I wouldn't be surprised if many models pay more to the agency than they make out of them either.  Does look impressive to see maybe 100 models on their wall against another with only 10.  Then some hanging there may no longer be rep'd by them, but just attractive "wall or web fillers."

Just do a lot of research, but don't expect miracles or a lot of bookings out of them.  Most I know network themselves a lot outside of their agency who may only get them a couple of gigs a year, and that doesn't pay the high rent in LA (15' studio apt. can be $750/mo.).  Some know the same publications the agencies get work from and seek out the jobs themselves.  There are some in LA who only model 24/7 and are quite busy and they have a lot of repeat clients (Reliable. Answer emails daily. Stroke their client's egos. Etc.), but does seem many others have other jobs as their mainstay income.  Very few are truly driven and treat it as a personal job and their own private business.  Too many others want the agency to do their work for them and make them rich, but only outside their normal job, schedule, family, college, travel, etc.

Good luck.

This is interesting.  Maybe I don't really need an agent...  I'm not sure.  Thanks for your help.

Apr 17 15 02:49 pm Link