Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup for eyes with no eyelids

Photographer

Tom Swiss

Chicago, Illinois, US

I really like the "smokey eye" look, but this girl does doesn't really have eyelids to apply color. What would be the recommended makeup that would be sultry or equivalent to the smokey eye? Do you just apply to the bottom, sides, and any parts visible? What is the most flattering look for these types of eyes?

https://www.ogdenfry.com/photos/ke.jpg

Apr 20 15 12:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

SherryHarkisan

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

Hiya. more accurate name for this is 'hooded eyes' and when smoking out you should focus more on the outer V with smoke creeping out onto the brow bone but stopping before it hits the brow hairs. leave space for a brow highlight.

I am sure Thomas or Danni B can describe more eliquantly as they r masters of words compared to me! Basically just remember that most or all of the eyelid will be unseen when the eye is open so concentrate on outer third. Don't leave the mobile lid blank though! :-) if you google "smokey eye hooded lid" you will find some images that illustrate what I am trying to say

Apr 20 15 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Thomas Swiss wrote:
Makeup for eyes with no eyelids

What you are referring to is "Deep Set" eyes...  which are very common with Caucasians.... but rare with Asian talent... 

So a deep set or  "hooded eye"  is typically one lacking a defined crease...

Yep, Caucasians can and do have hooded eyes though...
https://www.smashbox.com/media/images/fullexposure/hooded1.jpg

Thomas Swiss wrote:
I really like the "smokey eye" look, but this girl does doesn't really have eyelids to apply color. What would be the recommended makeup that would be sultry or equivalent to the smokey eye? Do you just apply to the bottom, sides, and any parts visible? What is the most flattering look for these types of eyes?

Thomas Sherry nailed this...

concentrate on outer third.

Follow her lead here...

That said as a photographer you can (and should) be proactive here...
Simply shoot the talent from a low angle and you're totally good...

Diana has Deep Set Eyes...
Therefore I shot her from a low angle to showcase the makeup artistry...

[img]https://www.restonstudio.com/gallery/Fgallery9-3.jpg

Hope this makes sense...
All the best on your journey....

Apr 20 15 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Tom Swiss

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks. Great advice.

Apr 20 15 07:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

For both of your eye makeup related questions in the forum...one answer. There is no "type" of eye makeup that cannot be applied to any shape or ethnicity of eye. It is merely a matter of how and where the makeup is applied to the eye - just technique. Any makeup artist worth their salt should be able to apply any type of eye makeup regardless of eye shape. It's not a challenge at all. Just be sure you are working with a professional makeup artist and you shouldn't have a problem.

Apr 21 15 02:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

Makeup Hair by Dani B wrote:
For both of your eye makeup related questions in the forum...one answer. There is no "type" of eye makeup that cannot be applied to any shape or ethnicity of eye. It is merely a matter of how and where the makeup is applied to the eye - just technique. Any makeup artist worth their salt should be able to apply any type of eye makeup regardless of eye shape. It's not a challenge at all. Just be sure you are working with a professional makeup artist and you shouldn't have a problem.

Totally, 100% agree with this. I was having such a hard time answering this question, because I was thinking the same thing. Anyone can wear any look, you just adjust accordingly.

May 13 15 02:51 am Link