Forums > Critique > Add or ditch?

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

I want to add variety to my port, so I have been shooting things out of my box recently. This being one of them. But I don't know how I feel about it. Thoughts? Should I add it to my port for the variety or keep it out?

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11159492_1406787586307402_1103554730660669443_n.jpg?oh=d7569aa2188a60868cca37e3fd2e1900&oe=55DAEF06

Apr 21 15 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

You seem to be establishing a niche, and this image is not much more exotic than others in your portfolio, i.e., to me it doesn't seem that much out of your box.  And - with that being said - I don't think it's that strong in it's own right.  Interesting for sure, though, I admit.
smile

Apr 21 15 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

g2-new photographics wrote:
- I don't think it's that strong in it's own right.  Interesting for sure, though, I admit.
smile

+1

Not rocking my world

Wish you well

Apr 21 15 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I like the makeup, it's pretty cool. I think I would have liked the picture overall more though if the smoke wasn't in front of her face, kind of takes away from the makeup's effect. I like it, but I don't love it.

I think it's because of the smoke, the camera-left side of her shirt is in sharp focus, and so is her hair, so her face should be too, but it doesn't look like it... if that's not because of the smoke, I dunno why then. smile

Apr 21 15 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

DespayreFX wrote:
I like the makeup, it's pretty cool. I think I would have liked the picture overall more though if the smoke wasn't in front of her face, kind of takes away from the makeup's effect. I like it, but I don't love it.

I think it's because of the smoke, the camera-left side of her shirt is in sharp focus, and so is her hair, so her face should be too, but it doesn't look like it... if that's not because of the smoke, I dunno why then. smile

You're spot on, it's because of the smoke. We tried to keep it manly behind her head, but it has a mind of its own.

Apr 21 15 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Penumbra Photography wrote:
...We tried to keep it manly behind her head...

Ya, no one likes that feminine smoke... smile

Just once, could I get through a thread being serious? Probably not... smile

Apr 21 15 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

DespayreFX wrote:

Ya, no one likes that feminine smoke... smile

Just once, could I get through a thread being serious? Probably not... smile

Haha, stupid typo! This is why we need feminism! >.<

Apr 21 15 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

This doesn't seem far out of your box. The only two images in your portfolio that do seem out of your box are the two of the girl in the white sweater ;-)

Oh, and I like the new one. But maybe you're having too much fun with all this.

Apr 22 15 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

*I like it*....almost better then anything else in your port...keep it up..!!

Apr 22 15 08:05 am Link