Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What to add next in portfolio?

Makeup Artist

Gabrielle Cyr MUA

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Hello everyone,

I just had the opportunity to collaborate on my first photoshoot ever as a MUA. I had a hard time choosing what looks to do and would love your input as to what I should do next for the strongest portfolio. Thanks!

Apr 24 15 02:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Gabrielle QC wrote:
...for the strongest portfolio...

Such an easy query... Publication!  the larger the circulation the better....
Most importantly... Named Publication  possibly one of our industry's most coveted credential...

Doesn't get any easier... look to collaborate with Published teams... this works for me... smile

Hope this helps...
all the best on your journey Gabrielle...

Apr 26 15 08:39 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Since this is a collaboration, see what the rest of the team needs.

While crazy looks are a lot of fun, they are NOT what clients hire for - so a good portfolio shows what clients need for their shoot. For a typical MUA, that means clean beauty.

You can always start with *boring* clean looks and amp up to the more *fun* editorial.

Apr 26 15 10:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:

While crazy looks are a lot of fun, they are NOT what clients hire for - so a good portfolio shows what clients need for their shoot. For a typical MUA, that means clean beauty.

You can always start with *boring* clean looks and amp up to the more *fun* editorial.

I concur

Clean natural.

Apr 26 15 11:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Gabrielle Cyr MUA

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Followed your advice and added natural looks to my portfolio. Guess I'll focus on publications next and practice, practice, practice.

May 01 15 04:16 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I'd add more simple flawless looks before worrying about publication (not that publication isn't great) - also concentration on using strong fashion agency caliber faces.

May 01 15 09:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Gabrielle Cyr MUA

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
I'd add more simple flawless looks before worrying about publication (not that publication isn't great) - also concentration on using strong fashion agency caliber faces.

Noted. Awesome point about fashion agency model. I was telling myself as long as you can see the makeup and the face is pretty to look at I should be fine. How wrong can we be at times? Thanks a lot.

May 01 15 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Sorry I need to disagree a bit. It's you first team production, so the next move in my opinion is not focus on getting published. I rather have you do a couple of more of those team projects than haste yourself into something published or fame or something like that.

Learn how a team works, learn to translate a client wishes into different parts of the shoot, not just your part but also everybody else. I think you would be much more valuable to a team if not only you fits socially, but also the way you adapt to styles, team dynamics, different working hours, etc. I don't say that you need to understand how to do the photographer's job, or the art director's job, but if you know why they make certain decisions and how they think, you can easily become much more valuable than just the person doing the makeup.

May 01 15 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:

Editorial does not mean more makeup..

My advice you need to take some shots outside, only do editorial is its strong or published..
Makeup is not so much about fantasy, its about giving a model the look of clean healthy looking skin...

May 01 15 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

You don't need agency models just girls with strong faces..
A makeup artist portfolio is different than a model or photographers portfolio..
Why get a model who is 5'9" and up up your just taking three quarter shots and head shots..

- have before and after shots, Show skills in correction makeup
- try using some actresses, they are very photogenic and easy to give direction too
- show makeup on men (actors are great) they tend to smile better and more naturally
- show makeup for a gala event or award show type makeup
- show clean makeup for like line sheets for a designer, like catalog (three quarter shots)
- show tattoo cover up
- show cuts bruises and black eyes etc.... yes you need to show that too and that's not considered special F/X
its something that all makeup artist should know...

May 01 15 02:39 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

RINALDI wrote:
Sorry I need to disagree a bit. It's you first team production, so the next move in my opinion is not focus on getting published. I rather have you do a couple of more of those team projects than haste yourself into something published or fame or something like that.

Learn how a team works, learn to translate a client wishes into different parts of the shoot, not just your part but also everybody else. I think you would be much more valuable to a team if not only you fits socially, but also the way you adapt to styles, team dynamics, different working hours, etc. I don't say that you need to understand how to do the photographer's job, or the art director's job, but if you know why they make certain decisions and how they think, you can easily become much more valuable than just the person doing the makeup.

+1

May 01 15 03:47 pm Link