Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Foundation separating on the skin

Makeup Artist

Jackie McClay

Brick, New Jersey, US

Ok help! I can't seem to figure out why my makeup separates on the skin! Usually around the eye area. I cleanse prep and prime but it still looks funny!!! I use a beauty blender and sometimes the sigma 3dhd brush.

Apr 30 15 05:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jackie McClay wrote:
Ok help! I can't seem to figure out why my makeup separates on the skin! Usually around the eye area. I cleanse prep and prime but it still looks funny!!! I use a beauty blender and sometimes the sigma 3dhd brush.

Creasing around the eye area is rather common... Questions to ask germane to this subject:

What product are you using to moisturize?
What product are you using to prime?
btw, both of these need time to do there thing... like 5 to 10 minutes on the skin during which I'll groom brows etc.

What product (type and brand) of foundation are you using?
Important! Are you using a concealer?  If so where in the workflow?

The very "best" concealer for this issue that I've found is MAC's Pro Longwear Concealer assuming you're using a cream based product.

btw, my MAC guru insists that MAC's Fix Plus will nail down the final finish...  I'm currently testing this...

Are you setting the foundation (again assuming it's a cream?) 
I press translucent in with a puff to set... then sweep off excess with a large dome powder brush in the direction of the fine facial hair growth so as not to lift these fine hairs which show-up with strong side/back illumination...

And probably what you're not looking to hear is the ultimate fix here is to airbrush... seriously...
A feathery thin veil of TEMPTU S/B lays atop the skin and adheres tenaciously...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey Jackie

Apr 30 15 06:31 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Too much primer can also cause a problem, as well as too much moisturizer.....

Apr 30 15 07:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
Too much primer can also cause a problem, as well as too much moisturizer.....

+1 QFT  Totally...

Also more than a few vendor's product don't play well together... oil based, silicone based, water based product shouldn't be mixed...  Experience has been a brutal teacher for me... I no longer mix vendors... a.k.a. when using RCMA foundation I use their thinner, and their primer...  Same with TEMPTU S/B where I always use their thinning agent and priming moisturizer....  And now since I'm migrating to MAC I'm appreciating MAC's diverse product range and respect the knowledge of their Key Artist who are constantly trained on the subtitles of their product line...

For those who wish to be beta testers for a multiple vendor solution... good luck, you may need it... lol

Another issue are clients who have recently had a chemical peel or microdermabrasion.... in this scenario foundation may slide across the skin's surface... the only realistic fix is to airbrush since the fine particulates lay atop the skin and don't rely on pore texture for adhesion

Hope this helps...

Apr 30 15 08:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

ArtistryImage wrote:

+1 QFT  Totally...

Also more than a few vendor's product don't play well together... oil based, silicone based, water based product shouldn't be mixed...  Experience has been a brutal teacher for me... I no longer mix vendors... a.k.a. when using RCMA foundation I use their thinner, and their primer...  Same with TEMPTU S/B where I always use their thinning agent and priming moisturizer....  And now since I'm migrating to MAC I'm appreciating MAC's diverse product range and respect the knowledge of their Key Artist who are constantly trained on the subtitles of their product line...

For those who wish to be beta testers for a multiple vendor solution... good luck, you may need it... lol

Another issue are clients who have recently had a chemical peel or microdermabrasion.... in this scenario foundation may slide across the skin's surface... the only realistic fix is to airbrush since the fine particulates lay atop the skin and don't rely on pore texture for adhesion

Hope this helps...

I've also found that using the vendors skin care products make a big difference. Before mixing brands, i would test it on myself before using it on a client.

Also, make sure to wipe off excess primer/moisturuzer under the eye before applying complexion products.

I also cosign on pressing the translucent/pressed powder under the eye. That is a huge step.

May 10 15 08:46 am Link