Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Looking for brutally honest constructive criticism

Model

Amelie Wendy

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Thanks in advance!
Would be great to know what direction you would think would be the best for me.
What I need in my portfolio, what I should toss, should I change my look, etc.
Just anything and everything to help me improve.

May 05 15 06:30 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Well, your biography states many different things, none of which appear in the photographs you present. You are wearing the same costume in all 4 shots and the one of you standing is dreadful!

May 05 15 06:57 am Link

Model

Amelie Wendy

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

John Horwitz wrote:
Well, your biography states many different things, none of which appear in the photographs you present. You are wearing the same costume in all 4 shots and the one of you standing is dreadful!

Hey! Thank you.
Could you be more specific in terms  your first statement please?
I'd love to know how I can improve my biography or my portfolio with promises from my biography.

I'll definitely look into pulling that down even though I really don't have much work. (Which I should also invest time in, getting more tpfs  definitely)

May 05 15 07:14 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

You state:
"For my abilities, I am capable of photo shoots that require lots of movement, having to do makeup myself (although who doesn't like being pampered?), and I am very prepared, having my own basic essentials such as shoes, undergarments and accessories. My wardrobe consists of edgy crop tops, spiked chokers and high waisted trousers to Victorian inspired dresses, commonly associated with Lolita and flowy or layered clothing."

yet you present no evidence of any of that. So either revise your biography or show your capabilities in photographs. I have never met a woman who has only one dress...or one expression. In short - the writing does not match the work shown.

May 05 15 07:33 am Link

Model

Amelie Wendy

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

John Horwitz wrote:
You state:
"For my abilities, I am capable of photo shoots that require lots of movement, having to do makeup myself (although who doesn't like being pampered?), and I am very prepared, having my own basic essentials such as shoes, undergarments and accessories. My wardrobe consists of edgy crop tops, spiked chokers and high waisted trousers to Victorian inspired dresses, commonly associated with Lolita and flowy or layered clothing."

yet you present no evidence of any of that. So either revise your biography or show your capabilities in photographs. I have never met a woman who has only one dress...or one expression. In short - the writing does not match the work shown.

Thank you. I will definitely get on that and invest my time in providing evidence of that! In the mean time, I'll definitely revise my biography after the completion of this thread's purpose!

May 05 15 07:36 am Link

Photographer

DNphotography

Oxford, Alabama, US

Emily with the few photos you have the full body one with you laying in the grass is the best in my opinion. Try to add a simple head shot that shows your face well, I wouldn't worry about changing you look at this time just work with the best photographers in your area that you can. Maybe reach out to a model that you like for some help in what direction you would like to take as a model. The best way to get better at anything is to keep at it, the more you do something most of the time the better you get.

Your good attitude about improving is refreshing.

May 05 15 07:51 am Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

& best of luck in your career!

May 05 15 08:02 am Link

Photographer

2A Models

SOUTHWORTH, Washington, US

It is clear from a couple of your image choices that you have a clear artistic vision and sensibility, but, with regret, in thirteen years of model photography, I have never once had a paying project that would have required your current look.

That said, there is a photographic artist out there somewhere who can use what you have; keep looking, and good luck to you.

May 05 15 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Welcome to MM.

First thing I would do is serious pruning of you bio. Halve it.

No need to state what you shoot that's in the list on left of page, and no need to tell us your hobbies unless they enhance a modeling strength.

A sentence about a theme or two your passionate about, and something indicating professionalism is nearly enough.

May 09 15 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

[[As Written]]Hello, my name is Emily. I am a determined aspiring model who wishes to work full time. I have little to no experience and so I'm hoping we can build up experiences together. I am of British blood and Thai blood, giving me a unique look with my big eyes and particularly small freckles. In personality, I am extremely energetic and serene (though I try to be talkative). I'm looking forward to working with you all and I'm excited to be in your care.

As an artist myself, I'm very passionate about being an expressive canvas for photographers, makeup artists, stylists, and hair stylists. I'm really interested in looks that concentrate on the structure of the feminine body. I love imaginative people and would be grateful for any work that comes my way.

For my abilities, I am capable of photo shoots that require lots of movement, having to do makeup myself (although who doesn't like being pampered?), and I am very prepared, having my own basic essentials such as shoes, undergarments and accessories. My wardrobe consists of edgy crop tops, spiked chokers and high waisted trousers to Victorian inspired dresses, commonly associated with Lolita and flowy or layered clothing.

In the aspect of getting to know me better, my hobbies include very amateur photography, painting, drawing, writing and gardening. I am also a former ballerina as well as a former tennis competitor.

My interests in concepts for pieces are beauty, fashion, editorial, bridal, lifestyle, vintage, nature, historic, abstract and conceptual. Though I'm open to all types of ideas!

I am determined and dedicated, willing to push my limits and work my hardest. I'm yet to be comfortable with doing nudes.

Thank you for your consideration, I'm looking forward to working with you. Please don't hesitate to send me a message.

[[Suggested changes]]

A determined aspiring model wishing to work full time. With little to no experience I'm hoping we can build experiences together. British blood and Thai blood mingle together giving me a unique look with my big eyes and particularly small freckles.

Very passionate about being an expressive canvas for photographers, makeup artists, stylists, and hair stylists. Really interested in looks that concentrate on the structure of the feminine body. Love imaginative people and would be grateful for any work that comes my way.

As a former ballerina as well as a former tennis competitor capable of photo shoots that require lots of movement. Able to do my own makeup and come very prepared. My wardrobe consists of edgy crop tops, spiked chokers and high waist trousers to Victorian inspired dresses, commonly associated with Lolita and flowy or layered clothing.

Thank you for your consideration, I'm looking forward to working with you. Please don't hesitate to send me a message.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150504/16/5547fe8f1fb74_m.jpg
Think you might try finding a beauty shop that can enhance your eye brows to help establish your exotic look.
I would really love to see your eyes clear, bright and sharp

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150504/13/5547d185b59c7_m.jpg
Of your current profile photos this is the best of the lot.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150504/13/5547d0c3409aa_m.jpg
Not a fan, show me your lovely face

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150501/14/5543f73a0e08d_m.jpg
Pose  is too static, why are you so small in photo?

I wish you well

May 10 15 08:48 am Link