Forums > Critique > Which of these 4?

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So I'm in Los Angeles, packing up my stuff, getting ready to move back to Jersey.  Anyway, while here I decided to do a free photoshoot for one of my good friend's cousins that wants to do acting/tv hosting stuff.  He came to my place, and oddly enough it was actually raining hard so I decided to do what I don't do often at all and use my continuous, daylight balanced lights in the apartment.  So here are the results.  He picked them out himself.  Let me know if there is one I should add to my actual website.  Thanks!

https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/rff_zpsvynw3jvs.jpg

May 15 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

"D" stands out to me from the 4 that are up  .  .  .  but, the smirk may be just a tad over done  .  .  .  geeeeeezzzzzzzz, back to Jersey from Cali, and in the summer, what prompted that  .  .  .  wink  Safe travels!!!!

SOS

May 15 15 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

sospix wrote:
"D" stands out to me from the 4 that are up  .  .  .  but, the smirk may be just a tad over done  .  .  .  geeeeeezzzzzzzz, back to Jersey from Cali, and in the summer, what prompted that  .  .  .  wink  Safe travels!!!!

SOS

Yeah he picked a lot of smirk.  I was surprised but hey, if that's what he wants then smirk away!  And yeah, back to Jersey I go.  It's the only place that has ever felt like home to me.  That and all my friends and family are there, I'm right across from NYC, I miss changing seasons, and LA was stressing me out so much I started getting twitches at 32.  Not a good look so back I go!  Thanks :-)

May 15 15 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

D does stand out among the four, but C looks good too. A little bit of rim light would have helped a lot with either of these.

May 15 15 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Carl Herbert wrote:
D does stand out among the four, but C looks good too. A little bit of rim light would have helped a lot with either of these.

Thanks!  I guess I wasn't thinking of it because he stood out enough from the background.  However, when I move I am going to get two more continuous lights so I will for sure do that.  For this set up all I had were the two lights and then a reflector.  Nothing fancy.

May 15 15 01:07 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Smirk is appropriate in Jersey. 

What I noticed about the four, two are warmer (red) skin and two are cooler.  Which reflect the reality?  I would select b or c because of color.

May 15 15 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

I like all but B (just not enough energy from him). A and C should be cropped more tightly, I think -- too much shirt, not enough head. smile

Smirking is fine if that's the energy he wants casting directors to see. But that's probably all they'll see -- they're not necessarily going to just see him as a handsome guy who can play a variety of roles.

May 15 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Smirk is appropriate in Jersey. 

What I noticed about the four, two are warmer (red) skin and two are cooler.  Which reflect the reality?  I would select b or c because of color.

Yeah I treated them differently for a different "feel".  The skin in the gray background ones is warmer for sure.  I didn't want that to be too cold since the gray background is already cold.  I would say his skin is more like that though.  Very good eye ya gots over there :-)

Thanks for the feedback!

May 15 15 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

LeWhite

Los Angeles, California, US

C&D

May 15 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

cheshiredave wrote:
I like all but B (just not enough energy from him). A and C should be cropped more tightly, I think -- too much shirt, not enough head. smile

Smirking is fine if that's the energy he wants casting directors to see. But that's probably all they'll see -- they're not necessarily going to just see him as a handsome guy who can play a variety of roles.

LOL not enough head.  You so crazy!  Yeah I'm not sure about so many smirks.  That's 3 smirks and one smile.  He still has the option of picking a few more for me to retouch so maybe he will pick something different.  I actually picked D.  That's the only one I picked.  I wasn't going to say anything but there, I just said it.

May 15 15 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

LeWhite wrote:
C&D

May 15 15 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I like C, because I like the color best. I also like his smile in C.
-Don

May 15 15 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Philip R

Agoura Hills, California, US

C for Hosting
D for Acting

He should not use the same headshot for such different types of casting.

May 15 15 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Don Garrett wrote:
I like C, because I like the color best. I also like his smile in C.
-Don

Thanks!  We actually went to Old Navy and did the old "Buy To Return" trick.  He didn't want to get the light blue but I forced him.  I'm gonna tell him someone else said light blue is good on him lol.  Thanks again!

May 15 15 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Philip R wrote:
C for Hosting
D for Acting

He should not use the same headshot for such different types of casting.

Yeah I don't think he will.  Before we started he was showing me old headshots he got and how this one worked for this and this one worked for that.  He is very aware of that stuff, more so than me.  I don't usually think of that separation.  I need to start though.  Thanks :-)

May 15 15 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

“C” would be my top pick, like the smile and skin tone best.
[Only suggestion might be to get rid of one of the catch lights in his eyes, I would say remove the most centered one from each, the reason the eyes will appear sharper]

Wish you well

May 15 15 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
“C” would be my top pick, like the smile and skin tone best.
[Only suggestion might be to get rid of one of the catch lights in his eyes, I would say remove the most centered one from each, the reason the eyes will appear sharper]

Wish you well

Thanks Lee!

May 16 15 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Timothy Bell

North Richland Hills, Texas, US

C has better color, the smile is also good for commercial work.
D is more of an movie/tv show actor head shot. it needs to be color corrected though.

May 17 15 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Timothy Bell wrote:
C has better color, the smile is also good for commercial work.
D is more of an movie/tv show actor head shot. it needs to be color corrected though.

Thanks.  I JUST messed with them a little more.

May 17 15 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

C and D are good. And C makes him look very good.

May 17 15 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

C&D

May 17 15 04:21 pm Link