Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Retouching / Healing brush problem

Retoucher

Flat White Retouching

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Hi guys,

Does anyone else encounter this issue in PS CC?

Sometimes when using the healing brush, it creates a type of artifacting / pixelated texture when it shouldn't. I sample from similar neighboring areas (not areas of different texture), and my brush's source is set to Sampled (not Texture). I have experimented with varying brush hardness as well as pressure sensitivity (for brush size) both on and off, and the problem still exists. I have checked the brush panel for any sort of option that may affect it, but there aren't many variables in there for the healing brush. I usually use this tool on a blank layer set to sample from layers Current & Below.

I have posted a zoomed in sample below. The green circle is the original texture while the areas in red are what occurs from the healing.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img903/953/KgIAN2.jpg

May 19 15 01:27 am Link

Retoucher

Smart Object

Bratislava, Bratislavský, Slovakia

It might be that you have "Aligned sample" turned on. It's in the top bar settings.

May 19 15 02:49 am Link

Retoucher

Flat White Retouching

It is turned on. But I constantly re-sample with each stroke of the brush before I heal so this shouldn't matter.

May 19 15 07:36 am Link

Retoucher

Light retoucher

London, England, United Kingdom

try the stamp tool and fade it (ctrl+shift+f) to get the desired result, the healing tool get's muddy in any case except if you use it on the low layer of frequency separation

May 19 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Redcrown

West Des Moines, Iowa, US

Strange indeed. I tried to duplicate the problem, thinking the brush or its layer was in some mode other than normal. But I can't make it repeat the problem.

Only suggestion is to reset the healing brush tool?

May 19 15 11:55 am Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

It may not be the case for you, but I find that when this happens for me, most often it's because my system is low on memory and/or my scratch disk is basically almost full and system is struggling to keep up with PS requirements to run smoothly. If that is the case, you can try these options:

- Clearing up some space on your HD by deleting unneeded files (check download folder)
- Quit some other apps like Chrome (that browser just drinks up memory)
- If you have multiple PS files open at once, you can try saving and closing some to free-up memory for your current document
- use another HD with more free space as your scratch disk

May 19 15 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I started noticing it around CS2 or CS3, where it hadn't been an issue earlier, and it still happens in CC.

For me, it seems to only happen when:
* working on a  layer that started off blank
* where there is some cloned or healing content
* the cloned or healed sections aren't 100% opaque (including feathered edges)

When I heal and run into this, I make a new blank layer and work on it. Yes, this means I may have a dozen intermediate healing layers, but when I'm done, I merge them together.

In my case, it's likely not disk space; the scratch drive has 1TB available. Or RAM, as I'm usually working on fairly small files and have 24 MB RAM. And it's happened on other, similarly well-equipped machines.

May 19 15 07:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Flat White Retouching

Thanks for the reply guys.

Sadly, I don't think any of these are the solution for me. I have an SSD dedicated just to my Photoshop with more than enough RAM. I have also noticed that healing in areas with a feathered edge (where there may have been some clone stamp work done) causes this too. And I too usually just create a new layer for that. But this is occurring on an empty layer so its not that. sad

How do I reset just a specific tool?

May 20 15 03:51 am Link