Forums > Photography Talk > A6000 Plug

Photographer

Masciandaro Photography

Westfield, New Jersey, US

I don't like to go into jobs with only one camera body so when one of my 5Ds died I took a chance and brought along the Sony as a backup.

On this assignment I was covering a commencement speech and was stuck about a dozen feet from the podium. This was a really quiet, almost solemn room so every time I took a shot, the sound of the shutter was loud enough to echo off the walls... loud enough that I started to get some glares from the speakers.

After I shot all of the key speakers, I took a chance and pulled out the A6000. I'd picked it up as a travel camera but the fact that the view screen folded at a right angle, let me keep it in my lap and the sound of the shutter is barely audible. I was able to shoot the rest of the session in what was almost stealth mode including a teary sequence at the end between a student and one of the alums.

When I got everything into Lightroom, I was really surprised that the images from the Sony were on par as those from the Canon. If anything, focus and color saturation were a bit better, grain was maybe a bit more noticeable but not by much.

Client thought I'd stopped shooting early on and was quite happy that I was able to capture everything right up to the end.

In the studio, at low ISOs, the Canon wins hands down. Shocked that the Sony performed as well as it did shooting live.

May 19 15 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Viator Defessus Photos

Houston, Texas, US

Masciandaro Photography wrote:
In the studio, at low ISOs, the Canon wins hands down. Shocked that the Sony performed as well as it did shooting live.

I would expect a 5D to win hands down in low light and high ISOs. I'd expect to see a difference between a full frame and a crop sensor in low light performance, not under ideal conditions when pretty much every camera takes great shots.

Glad you're liking it and I may get one myself one of these days, but for now there's no slack in the budget for it.

May 19 15 07:55 am Link