Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > New MUA Needs Help

Makeup Artist

arabeauty

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

So Ive done quite a few shoots and makeup on many people for free, and TFP. I need help on how to get out there start doing makeup on clients. I made business cards and have no clue what else to do to get people coming. Any advice? sad

-Yes Im certified

May 21 15 01:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautybytheButler

Los Angeles, California, US

just keep promoting yourself. This business is a 100% about what you are doing to get yourself out there. do you have a website dedicated to your artistry? I too, am a beginner to freelance, done photoshoots and TFP work. I still am doing those things. it takes about a good year before you start getting booked regularly. having business cards is a great step. now get yourself a website and promote the crap out of it. I always discuss it on my fb when I have updated it or posted a new blog post. and keep passing out your cards, and even give them to random people when you are shopping. you seriously never know who will be your first paid client. hope some of this helped
btw I don't have a steady job so I got my website through wix. it's free.

May 22 15 12:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

arabeauty

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you very much hun!! Ill take on your advice, and thanks for the website help too!! smile Best of luck to your success

May 22 15 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Make sure you put some clean natural in your book. And try to work with the very best photographers you can if you are trading -- test up your book and try to work with photographers that don't overprocess your work so you can actually see your work.

Also if you are providing makeup for one of their projects ask them nicely if they can provide you with closeups or at least head and shoulders so you can actually see the makeup.

Good Luck!

May 22 15 03:25 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Depends on WHO you want your Clients to be.
Commercial? Bridal?

Different markets will look for - and need to see - different things in the portfolio.

Wild, crazy *creative* makeups are fun, but not what typically pay the bills, for example.
So, keep that to a minimum.

And remember, your portfolio is only as strong as the weekest image.
A portfolio of 4 strong images is better than 20 "meh".

Most Pros will say that work came as a result of building a Network.
Referrals.

That's why TFP and Testing never ends, we just get more selective.
The Network we build - and our Reputation - is arguably our most important asset.

May 23 15 12:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

arabeauty

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes Ladies thank you very much for the help. I guess I will be doing a lot of projects for the next while smile Good luck to everyone for their success!

May 25 15 07:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I agree with whats been said so far....  1)  You need a great portfolio full of clean makeup
2) You need a dedicated website with your work
3)  You need to test with VERY good photographers who do some commercial stuff..... Avoid Glamour in your book unless that's the work you want...It's a turn off to commercial clients. 
4) keep your creative looks to just 10% of your book, anything more scares most clients.

May 25 15 12:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I too agree with what was said already.  Also to echo what Lisa said, it's important to know WHO you want as clients.

Your business card needs to contain relevant information that reflect what you do.

Several things that needs to be important on the card:
- Your Name
- contact information
- portfolio
- what you do (not just makeup - we all know that) list specific skills.

What Mary said regarding having a good photographer is also important because it's the image that your clients will be looking at and comparing with.  you also want to avoid someone that does too much editing (photoshopping) becasue it no longer becomes your work.

lastly and probably most important of all is NEVER FLAKE. Be on time and when you commit, you make sure you show up.  having a bad name will haunt you.  bad news travel faster than wild fire. not only are you going to hurt your reputation, it also puts a bad name to other makeup artists.

May 25 15 02:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Diana

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

arabeauty wrote:
So Ive done quite a few shoots and makeup on many people for free, and TFP. I need help on how to get out there start doing makeup on clients. I made business cards and have no clue what else to do to get people coming. Any advice? sad

-Yes Im certified

There's a lot of great advice already in this thread but as a working Toronto artist, I'll add my two cents.

First, if you tell us what type of clientele/work you would like to do, we can be more specific in our advice.  Wedding, editorial/commercial, theatre?

Editorial and commercial (where the money is) requires that you have clean beauty down pat.   

Perfecting flawless 'skin' is important for both the above and for wedding makeup which is also a big money market.

You've a lot of glamour makeup in your MM portfolio but it's the natural, clean face that sells in a smaller market like Toronto. 

Let us know what your goals are and we'll do our best to help.

Jun 07 15 10:12 am Link