Forums > Critique > Critique, maybe a Mentor

Photographer

My Bleeding Heart

Sandy, Oregon, US

I've always loved photography, I recently begun working with models to build a portfolio. The problem is I want to know more about photography, I want to improve my work. I need someone to help me gain knowledge and skills to improve my art form. I need critique, a mentor.
I could also use some advice as well on whether I should spends thousands on college level classes or search for an internship? If you need an intern, I am available.

Troy

Jun 06 15 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

My Bleeding Heart wrote:
...I want to improve my work. I need someone to help me gain knowledge...

Troy, have you considered assisting other commercial shooters in your market?
Here is how I found the lion's share of my assisting assignments...

My Bleeding Heart wrote:
skills

Something that only comes from applied practice...
your book appears to be an amalgam of various genres...
Where exactly do you intend to go with your pursuit of the photographic arts?   
Once you have convinced yourself of an answer to this query you'll likely find your path..

My Bleeding Heart wrote:
...I should spends thousands on college...

an investment in education has traditionally be a wise one, albeit possibly not so much for photography but rather to pursue a degree credential for without one there will likely be a glass ceiling you'll be bound by... with time this will become more and more obvious...

Bottom line? The advertising industry is moving away from stills... video is replacing the once certain domain of a still photographer... the proliferation of excellent low cost equipment has leveled the playing field to the point that competition for paid work is rather fierce....   Asking career counseling on an internet forum may not yield appropriate or germane guidance...

Best advice? Assist... there may be no better way to break into the commercial side of the equation... Provided you arrive at the premise that photography is a viable career choice... This may be the more important issue of merit...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Jun 06 15 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150603/17/556f9f9249811_m.jpg
For me the big white logo is a huge distraction, in this image the skin looks over processed. The over exposed area of models forehead is not working. As to the position of the light [Sun I assume] it is too high, see how the brow is shadowing her eyes?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150528/18/5567bf8a51092_m.jpg
Level the photo, in this the top of the street light is tilted to photo left. The model does not seem to be in sharp focus.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140805/10/53e11b5195d67_m.jpg
I would like to see more light in her eyes
Models right hand position seems odd
Horizon seems off level, notice where water meets the trees, photo left seems low

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140609/00/53955bd411236_m.jpg
Would love to see all of her fingers on both hands

As to school, some of the prices for just photography schools can reach lots of money, unless you are that exceptional photographer it is going to take a long time to pay off the loans. If you go for a business degree it may serve you better in the long run. Possible that an online or mail order school might be the first step for education, if you are looking for just photography education.

Wish you well

Jun 08 15 04:12 am Link

Photographer

GD Whalen

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Go to school.  Go to any school.  Learn everything.  Learn anything.

Jun 30 15 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

Thomas Van Dyke had a lot of good things to say to you. I agree.

However, a good community college can provide excellent photography classes. That's what I did and I loved it. And it did not cost thousands.  It's after school that costs thousands. All the equipment we use is expensive. So, I think after an education, assisting or interning are great options. Pick a photographer who's work you really respect. Good luck with your decision making smile

Jul 02 15 02:22 pm Link