Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Make-up/changing room counter/table preferences

Photographer

DystopianStudios

Los Angeles, California, US

For both make-up artists and hair stylists as well as models doing their own make-up, what sort of set-up do you prefer in a make-up room?

1. high counter (approx 36") with stools
2. lower table (approx 30") with chairs
3. Something different such as a portable table that can be moved around the make-up room (say, closer to the windows for natural light or closer to the light bank as needed.)

Thanks for any input. I'm redoing the make-up room in one of my studios, and I figure best to get the opinions and expertise of the experts before I tear things all apart.

Jun 15 15 10:37 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I have director's chairs both high and low, as well as counter surfaces both high and lower. Hair stylists/makeup artists come in different heights and what might work perfectly for one might be less comfortable for another.

Jun 15 15 11:10 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

As a model, I want lots of light, natural light if possible in addition to room light, and a comfortable, clean place to sit and a table or counter with enough room to spread out whatever supplies I am working with. 

Stools are usually better and easier to use than chairs, unless the chairs can swivel.  I don't think the height of the table or counter is as important as having seating height matched to the table or counter, but I find that a higher counter is nice, something where I can pick up my feet off the floor while seated and working.

One thing that is never the same from one dressing room to the next is the height and placement of the mirror. I'm not quite as tall as some models, but I find that sometimes when a mirror is placed so it functions well while seated at the table, then the top of it may be too low for me while I am standing up. This is particularly true with a lower table. If the mirror associated with the table isn't big enough, then please make sure there's a full length mirror somewhere in the dressing room. A triple vision mirror so I can see all of my back is nice.

Maintaining sanitary conditions is really important as well. Some dressing rooms look like they get cleaned once a month whether they need it or not. Some of the ones in college art studios look like they are NEVER cleaned at all! It has to be someone's job to do this every time the dressing room has been used by a model, or immediately before a model comes in.

I am almost always going to be nude or wearing no more than my underpants while getting ready to model and doing my hair and makeup, whether I'm doing it myself or you have a stylist or MUA working with me. It's easier for me, much more comfortable, and we don't want clothing marks to show while posing. I don't want to be sitting on a chair or stool that someone else had their bare bottom on, nor would I want to put mine directly on a chair or stool that someone else will be using......so providing clean, folded towels in the dressing area is important, as I will be using one to sit on. You wouldn't believe how many times I have had to ask for such a simple thing that one would expect to be automatically provided in a dressing area.  Hand sanitizer and tissues are nice as well. All those things can be stored neatly on a small shelf at one end of the dressing table.

Jun 15 15 04:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

A lower table is my preference, and chairs over stools. But height matters with chairs. I need talent in a lower chair when I'm doing their hair as most models are taller and then a high chair for makeup. I carry my own table and chairs in both heights, but if it's provided, great - less to haul around for me.smile Portable is best for all of the above.

Jun 15 15 08:28 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

However you set up the space, it needs to be clean.  light and easy to move around in.  And a decent bathroom.   R-

Jun 16 15 03:33 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

rick lesser wrote:
However you set up the space, it needs to be clean.  light and easy to move around in.  And a decent bathroom.   R-

Yes!!!! Bathroom facilities are important, there's nothing worse than having to get dressed to walk down the hall or to another part of the building to use a bathroom. It would be awesome if there were a toilet and sink in the dressing room itself, that would be my preference. Out of all the dressing rooms I have been in over the years I'd say that only a handful had them located in the same room or behind a dividing wall, and a few actually had a shower stall right in the same area. 

All of that, plus the table, stools, and mirrors could easily fit into an 8' x 10' space and leave room to comfortably walk and work. We have you totally over your budget now, don't we?

Jun 16 15 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

DystopianStudios

Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it. I still haven't totally decided, but I'll probably go with a raised counter and stools, and then have a lower chair and a small table for anyone who wants that option.

Jun 18 15 07:41 pm Link