Photographer

MJS PHOTO

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

Has anyone had any experience or success with it?

Here's a project I've just started;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mj … ee-boobs-0

Jun 21 15 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tons of people have had success with Kickstarter, Gofundme, etc.

How that is going to translate into YOUR success remains to be seen. So it looks like you are wanting 15 Large to make 100 copies of your book. What are you doing to promote this?

On a side note, I'm actually quite shocked that Kickstarter allowed yours to go public. In the past they used to highly scrutinize every little detail prior to accepting or denying the launch of a new project. For a book like what you're describing, they would ask for shoot concepts, chapter outlines, the specific parameters of how the book was going to be formatted and printed, etc. Every little detail.

2 years ago your project would have been rejected within minutes of submission. So I'm failing to see why anyone would fund your project with so little information you are providing about it. You also have no presence online such as a website or portfolio of any kind that you can refer people to so they can see your work and decide if an investment is worthy of the return.

Jun 21 15 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I've been studying Kickstarter and other social crowd funding sites.   It's not something to jump into without researching and planning.  In the near future, I am planning a book (probably an "E" book before print) about my adventures behind the scenes at many of the thousands of concerts I've been to since 1980.  I have plenty of pictures to go with these mostly "true" stories. wink

There are many musicians who are having great success with Kickstarter.  I've participated in the funding of some of the projects.   Many have appeared on such shows as The Voice, America's Got talent, Ellen, and The Today Show.   Most are well established on Youtube and have plenty of followers on Twitter as well as Facebook.  Going into such an endeavor without a marketing plan is nearly asking for failure.  That is why I'm following and thus learning from the success and also the failures of others before I launch mine.  It is also wise to have some money set aside to promote your project on Facebook when you launch. 

Well I see that you have already launched before asking.  Good luck to you!  I think you will need it.

Jun 21 15 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

This will be a good learning experience for you but for your next Kickstarter, I'd suggest reading the creator handbook:
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/handbook?ref=footer

I'd also suggest going to youtube and watching some of the instructional videos. Type "how to run a successful kickstarter" into youtubes search engine and get a ton of good advice that you can pick and choose from. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ … ickstarter

Next time, please put more work in on your video. A good video is critical to your success/failure. It needs to tell your story. Who are you, why are you doing this, why should we care enough to give you money. This is you one and only opportunity to connect with your potential audience.

Your "about this project" section is very vague, maybe that's on purpose but personally, before I donate, I'd like to know who you are. Why is your story so special, what adversity did you overcome? How short is a short book? 50 pages, 100 pages? How will the money be used? Will you be doing more new shoots for this book or is this a retrospective of the work you have done so far? A September delivery date is a very short window for publication. How will this be published? What size will it be?  These are all questions that most potential backers would want to know before they donate.

Considering that only 40% of all Kickstarter promotions are successful, I think this will be a great learning experience for you but with more research and planning before your next launch, I wish you better luck with your next attempt.

Jun 22 15 06:07 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Shot By Adam wrote:
You also have no presence online such as a website or portfolio of any kind that you can refer people to so they can see your work and decide if an investment is worthy of the return.

He does include a link his website on his kickstarter.
It's over on the right, next to his avatar: http://www.mjsphotos.co.uk/

Jun 22 15 06:22 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

>>>>>  Tangent Alert  >>>>>

I understand that the FTC is paying more attention to crowdfunding sites.  There is a case where some guy (Erik Chevalier) raised almost $125K for a specific project (creating a Monopoly-like game based on the books by H.P. Lovecraft), but he never produced the project & used those funds for something else.  The Feds are making him refund the money he raised AND are fining him over $100K, but he's having trouble because he no longer has the funds.  There are other consequences that I don't recall.  Sorry -- I am fuzzy on the details. 

But the summary is ---  if you receive funding for a project, you better produce the project.

>>>>>  End Tangent  >>>>>

Jun 22 15 11:18 am Link

Photographer

MJS PHOTO

Shot By Adam wrote:

How that is going to translate into YOUR success remains to be seen. So it looks like you are wanting 15 Large to make 100 copies of your book. What are you doing to promote this?

On a side note, I'm actually quite shocked that Kickstarter allowed yours to go public. In the past they used to highly scrutinize every little detail prior to accepting or denying the launch of a new project. For a book like what you're describing, they would ask for shoot concepts, chapter outlines, the specific parameters of how the book was going to be formatted and printed, etc. Every little detail.

2 years ago your project would have been rejected within minutes of submission. So I'm failing to see why anyone would fund your project with so little information you are providing about it. You also have no presence online such as a website or portfolio of any kind that you can refer people to so they can see your work and decide if an investment is worthy of the return.

Times change chum

Jun 22 15 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

Kickstarter is democratizing venture capital - Gofundme is panhandling

But Kickstater is not something you just "do", its takes lots of careful planning and is best suited to finish a project that is in need of funding and not stating from zero.  Its difficult to get people on board these days without showing something, its still a call for venture capital and people are getting more selective.

Also note, you have to give people something in return for their money - consider the costs and logistics of that part as it can be a large undertaking in itself

Jun 22 15 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Patrick Walberg wrote:
In the near future, I am planning a book (probably an "E" book before print) about my adventures behind the scenes at many of the thousands of concerts I've been to since 1980.  I have plenty of pictures to go with these mostly "true" stories. wink

Well I see that you have already launched before asking.  Good luck to you!  I think you will need it.

fuck that sounds pretty cool..

Jun 22 15 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

My own personal opinion of the campaign is why would I give money?

The reason I find myself asking that is because I can't see what it is I'm getting. The video tells me nothing about you, your story, or the book. I think this would be key.

When I look at a kickstarter campaign, that is the key thing I look for. It may not displaying correctly on my phone, but I cannot see any examples in the rewards section.

Jun 23 15 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

FilmmakerDC wrote:
This will be a good learning experience for you but for your next Kickstarter, I'd suggest reading the creator handbook:
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/handbook?ref=footer

I'd also suggest going to youtube and watching some of the instructional videos. Type "how to run a successful kickstarter" into youtubes search engine and get a ton of good advice that you can pick and choose from. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ … ickstarter

Next time, please put more work in on your video. A good video is critical to your success/failure. It needs to tell your story. Who are you, why are you doing this, why should we care enough to give you money. This is you one and only opportunity to connect with your potential audience.

Your "about this project" section is very vague, maybe that's on purpose but personally, before I donate, I'd like to know who you are. Why is your story so special, what adversity did you overcome? How short is a short book? 50 pages, 100 pages? How will the money be used? Will you be doing more new shoots for this book or is this a retrospective of the work you have done so far? A September delivery date is a very short window for publication. How will this be published? What size will it be?  These are all questions that most potential backers would want to know before they donate.

Considering that only 40% of all Kickstarter promotions are successful, I think this will be a great learning experience for you but with more research and planning before your next launch, I wish you better luck with your next attempt.

I do not think it can be over emphasized that having a great video is absolutely critical in the success or failure of a Kickstarter campaign!  The most successful ones I've seen will use every social network from Youtube, Facebook and Twitter to their advantage with video being the main feature for communication.  People don't like to read a long proposal if something doesn't catch their attention right away.

Jun 23 15 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:
Kickstarter is democratizing venture capital - Gofundme is panhandling

But Kickstater is not something you just "do", its takes lots of careful planning and is best suited to finish a project that is in need of funding and not stating from zero.  Its difficult to get people on board these days without showing something, its still a call for venture capital and people are getting more selective.

Also note, you have to give people something in return for their money - consider the costs and logistics of that part as it can be a large undertaking in itself

Two things that I think are important are (1) Keep the "Goal" realistic as to the dollar amount.  Especially if it's your first campaign, set a goal of $10,000 to $20,000 as opposed to $100,000.   It looks better if you can reach your goal earlier, as it shows momentum.  People are more likely to jump on something if it appears that it will easily be financed. 

(2)  Have some money already put a side for the project and for promoting the Kickstarter campaign.  I've actually spent some money on promoting a friends campaign through my Facebook page.  I received an analysis showing me how many people were reached so that I can judge just how effective it is to advertise.  It works!   It does take some money to make money.

Also perhaps if you are close to your goal, you can get a trusted friend of relative to use your money to close the gap to be sure you get financed.  I have not read all the rules yet, so I am presuming that the creator of the campaign can't contribute to it?   Anyone know the answer to that right of hand?

Jun 23 15 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Solas wrote:
fuck that sounds pretty cool..

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150623/01/5589192656d63.jpg

See those two tables?  See all those boxes within the blue circle?  Those are filled with prints, slides & negatives of mostly music concerts I've been to.  It's not all my work, but it is most of it.  I've got a huge project going through all that!  I need to buy a damn good scanner that can scan slides, and negatives from 35 MM and 120 ... I'm looking at spending around $1,500 for that. 

I'm happy with the scanner that I have for prints.  Here is a sample from scanning a ticket stub of mine.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150606/16/5573835bea9d1.jpg

Can you imagine tickets for The Who at $10?  I used to go to several major concerts a month and a dozen shows at clubs, county fairs & outdoor festivals.  Back when I started, you could walk in to most any venue with a camera, no questions asked!  Then the managers of the bands started getting greedy. 

I called Bill Graham Presents office when I heard rumors that cameras were not going to be allowed at Styx Paradise Theater tour.  Styx manager, Derek Sutton got on the phone and cussed me out while accusing me of being one of those guys selling pictures in the classifieds of Rolling Stone.  Bill Graham must have heard him yelling on the phone ... and he grabbed the phone from Derek saying "Who is this?"  I told him "It's Patrick Walberg, sir.  I'm the young guy who was up there last week meeting with your archive manager.  Remember me?"   Bill says "Oh yeah!  Well you bring your camera this time.  But the next time, I don't know ... so just call a head each time."   That was a concert I walked in with my camera no problem, but after that, getting a camera in has never a sure thing.   

I had started out by getting to know the local artists who opened for bigger acts, then the promoters, and from there I learned the ropes about contacting the publicists.  Often times I found the managers of bands to be the most difficult to deal with ... most have been assholes towards photographers.  So I became a manager of a few local bands myself!  The most successful was a reggae band called "Uprising" that was wildly popular among the college crowd in the late 80's early 90's.  It was easy for me to book them.  What happened with that is another story.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backstag … page_panel

I don't make a lot of money, but I sure have fun shooting fast cars, women and rock & roll!  wink

Jun 23 15 01:57 am Link

Photographer

MJS PHOTO

Jun 25 15 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

MJS PHOTO wrote:

You've got 0 backers so far.  Better get busy marketing!  A website where there are photographers and models who can see boobs all day and night on here is probably not the place.   Go to Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter.  Good luck!

Jun 25 15 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Patrick Walberg wrote:
You've got 0 backers so far.  Better get busy marketing!  A website where there are photographers and models who can see boobs all day and night on here is probably not the place.   Go to Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter.  Good luck!

Well, you will notice that he dropped his goal from 10,000 Pounds to 953 dollars (about 606 pounds). That's helpful but his "about" section is still as vague. I can't decide if these are boobs that I want to see but obviously there is a reason why "Very rarely do we encounter such an open and honest telling of a persons story."

You can try to teach a man how to fish but sometimes, he just likes throwing rocks at them instead.

Jun 26 15 05:41 am Link

Photographer

MJS PHOTO

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Jun 29 15 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MJS PHOTO wrote:

You reposting this thing every few days is getting to be spam at this point.

Jun 29 15 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

MJS PHOTO wrote:

Shot By Adam wrote:
You reposting this thing every few days is getting to be spam at this point.

You should at least respond to what people are posting.

Jun 29 15 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Allen Photo

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

"Panhandling" or not I used GoFundMe when I opened my studio. I already had the basic funds in place, the location, had become an LLC, had a business plan and everything rolling. I just needed a little extra for stuff like paint, sprucing up, a few improvements. There were a lot of models I had shot TF when I/they were starting out and I made them my target audience. I did a $1,000 campaign and the 10 and 20 dollar contributions started rolling in, along with contributions from photographers I knew that respected what I was trying to do. I ended up around $1500.

People are more likely to contribute if the ball is already rolling, you've made an investment of your own and have skin in the game and have a business plan in place.

Jun 29 15 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Matthews

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

There are thousands of nude photography books out there, and with the limited info you have given, I fail to see the difference in yours to make it stand out and catch your intended audience. If it's just to show a bunch of photos of boobs, then anyone can get that anywhere. If it's a narrative of your photography journey with photos as support then maybe a few excerpts of your book will help to get your audience emotionally connected to you and your upcoming book.
At this point you have no connection, explain relatively nothing, show a short video of a girl writhing on a wall from one shoot, and seem unwilling to listen to peoples suggestions. So good luck.

Jun 29 15 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

MJS PHOTO wrote:

One person?  It's a learning experience.  You're going to need to do better than that.  Like I said before  "Good luck!"  You're going to need it!

Jun 29 15 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Perceptions Edge  wrote:
"Panhandling" or not I used GoFundMe when I opened my studio. I already had the basic funds in place, the location, had become an LLC, had a business plan and everything rolling. I just needed a little extra for stuff like paint, sprucing up, a few improvements. There were a lot of models I had shot TF when I/they were starting out and I made them my target audience. I did a $1,000 campaign and the 10 and 20 dollar contributions started rolling in, along with contributions from photographers I knew that respected what I was trying to do. I ended up around $1500.

People are more likely to contribute if the ball is already rolling, you've made an investment of your own and have skin in the game and have a business plan in place.

Yes, it sure helps to have the "ball rolling" as I believe it takes having at least some money to invest or for backup with any business,  I wont contribute to a Kickstarter campaign unless I am confident that they are going to reach their goal.

Jun 29 15 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Justin Matthews wrote:
There are thousands of nude photography books out there, and with the limited info you have given, I fail to see the difference in yours to make it stand out and catch your intended audience. If it's just to show a bunch of photos of boobs, then anyone can get that anywhere. If it's a narrative of your photography journey with photos as support then maybe a few excerpts of your book will help to get your audience emotionally connected to you and your upcoming book.
At this point you have no connection, explain relatively nothing, show a short video of a girl writhing on a wall from one shoot, and seem unwilling to listen to peoples suggestions. So good luck.

I'm afraid his posting here asking for advise while having already started his campaign is backwards.  Coming here to promote a book of nudes is like trying to sell cake to bakers.  lol

Jun 29 15 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Matthews

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Patrick Walberg wrote:

I'm afraid his posting here asking for advise while having already started his campaign is backwards.  Coming here to promote a book of nudes is like trying to sell cake to bakers.  lol

Argh I want some cakes, maybe he should start a kickstarter campaign for a cake shop, now thats something I'd be interested in. 😀

Jun 30 15 02:20 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

I was browsing Kickstarter this morning and noticed this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma … f=category

Congrats on your successful funding campaign !
May you drink from the Keg of glory. Victory is yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBqokPYnhhE

Jul 28 15 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

MJS PHOTO wrote:
Has anyone had any experience or success with it?

Here's a project I've just started;

FilmmakerDC wrote:
I was browsing Kickstarter this morning and noticed this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma … f=category

Congrats on your successful funding campaign !
May you drink from the Keg of glory. Victory is yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBqokPYnhhE

The OPs project was canceled by him. The successful one you linked too is s different, though apparently identical project.

Jul 28 15 08:30 am Link

Photographer

- Danny Baldwin

With less than two weeks I need your support...

Please check out & pledge just £1 (or as you wish) to make my first solo exhibition a reality

PLEDGE HERE https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/41 … kin-deep-0

Kickstarter works in on all or nothing basis so we really need your help to hit the target X

Nov 04 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

ValHig

- Danny Baldwin wrote:

Please check out & pledge just £1 (or as you wish) to make my first solo exhibition a reality

Kickstarter works in on all or nothing basis so we really need your help to hit the target X

Generally the price for the product offered on Kickstarter is less than if you went to the shop - they use the money for funding production and early investors get a lower price as a perk. £30 for a postcard seems pretty steep.

Nov 05 15 01:18 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

BLING BLING

Nov 15 15 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

- Danny Baldwin wrote:

This is spam.

Nov 15 15 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I've looked at a large number of photography-themed kick starters. Ones that are hardware-themed seem to do very well; new strap, fancy lens cover, weird thing to put in your hotshoe -- tangible objects seem to get funded.

Photograph-based kick starters vary by content. If you connect to a hobby, a bit of history or local interest you seem to do well; 'Mid-Century Furniture factories of Northumberland' or 'The Last Skipjack on the Chesapeake' are the types of photo books I would expect to get funded. Kickstarters that feature nudity as the main theme tend to to rather poorly, unless by an established artist or specialized theme.

Nov 16 15 03:20 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

established artist = BIG name.

Promotion

Popular at [fill in- twitter, etc].

Nov 16 15 06:52 am Link