Forums > Critique > Another Flash Test

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So after the feedback I got a few days ago I went back and did another flash test yesterday.  Is this less flat?  Does it work?  If not, let me know why.  Keep in mind that this was just a lighting test with a friend of mine.  The focus is not the model, her clothes, her makeup or her posing.

https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/dsg_zpsmrxlg7qw.jpg

And in case you need a refresher, my previous test can be found here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/946849

UPDATE:
Went back out today and took these.  I did a quick, half-assed retouch on all of them.  The main focus is the lighting.  Is this better or no?  I used an umbrella and a mini soft box and the flash was not on the camera (it wasn't on for the other shots either, it has always been on a light stand).  Any feedback is welcome.  Thanks.

A
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/A_zpsiguvxgld.jpg

B
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/B_zpsz4xltoyf.jpg

C
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/C_zps5rtf3akg.jpg

D
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/D_zpsrqowrn5j.jpg

Jun 30 15 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

For me the flash is too low and too bright. The reason is that if I can tell it is a flash photo then too much power was used. Raise up flash and back off the power a stop and see what happens. Over all it looks like you are on the right road. Are you using a flash modifier?

Wish you well

Jun 30 15 02:35 am Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

For me the thing that kills it is that the discrepancy of the foreground and background light is jarring. It looks more like a composite than that she was actually in the scene.

Either you need to mimic the background light source somewhat to make the subject more consistent with her setting, or you need to make go further so that the difference between subject and setting is much more dramatic. Of course you probably wouldn't want to mimic the hardness of the sunlight in the background, but maybe the color and also the direction (the origins of light between foreground and background are clearly different).

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass -- I'm sure the more experienced flash shooters will correct me. wink

Jun 30 15 03:09 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I have to agree with what Lee said above, it's just a touch too bright, looks like a flash pic, but if the level were brought down, I think you'd be good to go. I don't like seeing a pic where there's no reason for light to be falling a certain way, and yet, the model is lit up like Christmas... I see it a lot with sunset beach photos, the sun is behind her, and you can tell there's strobes and/or flashes lighting her up, blech. smile

Definitely better than the last one.

Also, if you can get the flash off-camera and higher, that could help too.

Also a modifier to soften the light a bit could help... I got a pretty decent one that I'm starting to love from an F-Stoppers convention, https://fstoppers.com/product/fstoppers … t-modifier

Hope that helps.

Jun 30 15 08:18 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone!  I just posted an update in the original post.  Took everyone's feedback.

Jun 30 15 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

These are all quite a bit better. C and D are particularly successful -- in C it doesn't even look like a flash was used. Shot A is not bad bad but it's easily my least favorite, with the harsher shadows, and the cold light of the flash is more apparent there -- you'll want to warm that up in post or gel the flash. But at least you did a good job of separating her from the background.

Are you shooting through the umbrella or pointing the flash away and bouncing off the umbrella, or trying both ways? You'll also want to experiment with distance of light to your subject. With the small flash head, it leads pretty quickly to harder shadows. Quality of your softbox will also make a big difference of how much it overcomes the nature of the speedlight.

Good improvements overall, though!

Jun 30 15 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

You are missing a few things that keep your pictures from looking professional.  You need to learn to dress the model so she looks appropriate for the portrait.  You also can use a little powder for her face.  Last you can use some posing techniques for your model.

Jun 30 15 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

cheshiredave wrote:
These are all quite a bit better. C and D are particularly successful -- in C it doesn't even look like a flash was used. Shot A is not bad bad but it's easily my least favorite, with the harsher shadows, and the cold light of the flash is more apparent there -- you'll want to warm that up in post or gel the flash. But at least you did a good job of separating her from the background.

Are you shooting through the umbrella or pointing the flash away and bouncing off the umbrella, or trying both ways? You'll also want to experiment with distance of light to your subject. With the small flash head, it leads pretty quickly to harder shadows. Quality of your softbox will also make a big difference of how much it overcomes the nature of the speedlight.

Good improvements overall, though!

Thanks!  I was shooting through the umbrella.  I didn't even think of bouncing it because I thought I would lose too much power.  For example A I just wanted something dramatic looking so I went with all the power i could get in there.  For the other ones I tried really hard to listen to what everyone said and make things look as natural as possible.  The light overall was probably about 4 feet away from her with the exception of A, that was like 2 feet away and really high up.  It was really windy and even though I had a sandbag with me (that viciously cut me and made me bleed btw lol, there was a hidden staple on there from a tag) I didn't really trust things to be too far from me.  It was pretty bad.

Anyway, I'm going to keep at it.  Glad to know the direction I'm going in is getting better :-)  Thanks again for the help.  I will keep the things you just said in mind for next time.  I'm supposed to do a paid shoot Thursday or Saturday, depending on the rain, and my next buy will be some filters.  If you have any recommendations let me know.  I usually buy everything from B&H since it's so close to me and gets here in like a day.

Jun 30 15 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

martin b wrote:
You are missing a few things that keep your pictures from looking professional.  You need to learn to dress the model so she looks appropriate for the portrait.  You also can use a little powder for her face.  Last you can use some posing techniques for your model.

Hi there.  This is a test not a modeling thing.  That's my friend.  The whole purpose was for me to test my flash because I'm not familiar with it.  Disregard what she is wearing, the poses, and the shinny skin and please focus on the lighting more and the direction it's coming from and if things blend with the background well or not.  My goal is to master my flash.  If you look at my port, I dressed all of the models, posed them, and used natural light with all of them really.  I just got two flashes so this is all about the light now.  Thanks.

Jun 30 15 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

C is getting quite good, as said above, can't tell the flash was used, that's a good fill. Definitely better if you look at that one and the first one you posted.

Jun 30 15 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

From a lighting perspective “C” gets my vote, “by George I think you have got it”

I think the umbrella produces a larger light source which is producing softer shadows, look under chin at the shadow in photo “C”. Now compare that to the chin shadow in photo “D”, quite a difference.

Wish you well

Jul 01 15 05:03 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

DespayreFX wrote:
C is getting quite good, as said above, can't tell the flash was used, that's a good fill. Definitely better if you look at that one and the first one you posted.

Yeah I think the first one is ok if I was actually going for that look, like maybe i wanted a fashion fantasy look or something, but for every day fill-in flash hell no.  That's why I needed to keep going.  Now I need to get some gels :-)  Thanks!

Jul 01 15 10:32 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
From a lighting perspective “C” gets my vote, “by George I think you have got it”

I think the umbrella produces a larger light source which is producing softer shadows, look under chin at the shadow in photo “C”. Now compare that to the chin shadow in photo “D”, quite a difference.

Wish you well

Yeah that's the first thing i noticed.  The mini soft box does create distinct shadow a bit and the umbrella is much softer.  I'll use the umbrella mostly.  The issue now will be me carrying a tripod, my camera, a sandbag, a light stand, and the flash.  It's gonna start getting really heavy lol.  Gotta do what I gotta do though.

Jul 01 15 10:35 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

too hot, too hot, just right, a little too hot

Jul 01 15 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

C is the best

Jul 01 15 12:23 pm Link