Forums > Newbie Forum > How has MM benefited you so far

Model

Ms Jennifer Black

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Good Evening

My name is Jennifer Black. I am a fairly new Model. I am still building my resume and portfolio (Which will be updated very soon). I wanted to post the question of how has being a member of mm been beneficial to you and your career so far? Paid bookings? good networking? Better resume or portfolio?

Thanks in advance
@Msjenniferblack (Instagram/twitter)

Jul 05 15 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Hi Jennifer.  Welcome to MM.  Good first post.  You will probably hear from a lot of photographers on the subject but hopefully a few models will chime in.

Jul 05 15 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Ms Jennifer Black wrote:
Paid bookings? good networking? Better resume or portfolio?

In my case, best benefit has been networking (which lead to a better portfolio) and also the forums, where the best and dumbest questions are almost always answered.  See, your question was just partially answered (and it was NOT in the dumb category).

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Jul 05 15 03:25 pm Link

Model

Ms Jennifer Black

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Rik Austin wrote:
Hi Jennifer.  Welcome to MM.  Good first post.  You will probably hear from a lot of photographers on the subject but hopefully a few models will chime in.

Thank you so much its very appreciated. I have heard so much negative and positive about the site but I plan on using it to help me as much as possible.

Jul 05 15 03:34 pm Link

Model

Ms Jennifer Black

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:

In my case, best benefit has been networking (which lead to a better portfolio) and also the forums, where the best and dumbest questions are almost always answered.  See, your question was just partially answered (and it was NOT in the dumb category).

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

as long as you got something from the site lol thank you for your reply

Jul 05 15 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

In my case it has been good for Networking. Which has brought me to the notice of models, both new and experienced. Which has led to a better portfolio.

In any case, good luck with your modelling. smile

Jul 05 15 09:19 pm Link

Model

chiomajasmine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi smile Welcome to MM

As a new model myself, Model Mayhem has been a huge blessing. I get to work on shoots (paid and TF) that have been great for experience and confidence in front of the camera. I'm only in my first month and already going to be featured in some pretty cool projects! I am also signed with an agency who helps me book castings/jobs but I find MM projects are more collaborative and relaxed, I can't express how much I like it here haha.

Hope you have a great experience smile

Cheers

Jul 06 15 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

I used MM to find models to do projects for photography classes. For that, MM has been hit and miss some times, but overall more hit than miss. The forums can be a good place to learn new stuff and share what I have learned.

It really hasn't lead to anything commercial, but that isn't my expectation.

Jul 06 15 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

It has helped me find models for my art, MUCH easier than ways I have used in the past.
-Don

Jul 06 15 09:37 pm Link

Model

Miss SM

Portland, Maine, US

In my early 20's I spent about 6 months modeling full time thanks to MM. Burnt out, hated it, quit tongue But it was very useful at the time!

Now it seems traffic here has maybe slowed down a bit, not sure if I could pull that off again.

Jul 08 15 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

MM was most useful to me when I first joined.  I was fairly new to shooting models and it offered a better way to connect with models than any other method I knew of at the time. (Mostly portfolio building, but some stock, etc. as well.)  I also learned a great deal about copyright law, releases. protocols, what lighting to buy, etc. from other experienced members in the forums.   

Over the years, it's become a less valuable source for me for finding models, but that may be a change for the good for models here.  I get less out of the forums these but still feel if I had a technical question, I'd get some excellent and varied advice if I asked.  There are some incredibly knowledgeable and experienced members here who freely share with others.  I think their generous sharing is under appreciated. 

While I don't get all that much out of MM these days, I still value it as a resource and most certainly have no regrets about joining.

Welcome to the Mayhem and all the best.

Jul 08 15 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

So far, not a single model has replied to an inquiry. None. So I would have to say, the site has been uneventful, entirely.

Jul 13 15 11:17 am Link