Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > How to get booked being a black model?!

Model

Kyra Mangual

Houston, Texas, US

Thank you!

Jul 11 15 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

You are gorgeous, have model stats and mostly a very good port.

So I cannot answer your question, I don't see any reason why they would not use you often.

The photo of you jumping and laughing in a bikini does not really flatter you, consider removing it. That will not solve anything but it will improve your port in my opinion.

Jul 11 15 10:25 am Link

Model

Kyra Mangual

Houston, Texas, US

Great thanks for your opinion definitely was removed !

Jul 11 15 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

I don't get it either. You have a great look. You say you've run into "many" different clothing designers and photographer who only want to work with white models. How many is "many," and did they say they only wanted to work with white models, or did you assume that because you weren't selected? Please understand that I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to determine the scope of the problem. If it's really happened only a couple of times, you shouldn't worry.

I can't speak for the designers because I'm not one. They may have a garment or collection that they think would look better on light skin. Or they may simply think their target audience is mostly white, so it would be better to use a white model. Next time it happens you could ask what you could do to have a better chance in future castings.

As for photographers, some may be afraid of trying something different. I shoot a lot of black models, but the first time I was concerned I wouldn't get the lighting right. With fair-skinned models, you create shadows to give depth and dimensionality. That's not how you do it with dark-skinned models, and maybe some of the photographers have simply been afraid of failure. With dark-skinned models you create depth and dimensionality with highlights, and that's a bit trickier.

And most professional photographers who are working on a campaign take orders from the client. If the client wants a certain model, or a certain type of model, then the photographer needs to accommodate the client's wishes.

I'd encourage you to keep trying. With your looks it won't be long before you get the big break. And if you ever find yourself in Houston ...

Jul 13 15 11:22 am Link

Photographer

erics_Toronto_GTA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Young,tall and beautiful.
I would have shot you again and again if you were closer.

Jul 19 15 04:00 am Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Your tall and pretty but honestly, you are too big to get signed by a real fashion agency in LA. I mean that's if your asking about booking real $$$ jobs.

Jul 22 15 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Belmont

Rochester, Washington, US

Shei  P wrote:
Your tall and pretty but honestly, you are too big to get signed by a real fashion agency in LA. I mean that's if your asking about booking real $$$ jobs.

Too big?  Compared to a toothpick?  That's not an issue with the model, that's (if true) and issue with a grossly unrealistic fashion industry.

I would hire you for our $$$ nude workshops on Lake Powell, Utah if you had more experience and more images supporting that experience - specifically in fine art nude photography.

I always look at portfolios.  If there are tattoos or implants, I move on quickly.  The people I look most seriously into are those that have fine art (creative collaboration, the opposite of glam, or objectification) in their port.  If that interests you - find photographers to work with that have that style, even if you have to do TFP with them.  That will get the ball rolling in your port to find more work.

Aug 06 15 05:46 am Link

Photographer

2A Models

SOUTHWORTH, Washington, US

I think you are stunning and have obvious skills in front of the lens.

I happen to be a photographer of color based in a locality where significantly more than three quarters of the local residents are of white non-Hispanic origin.

When I put my two annual pin-up calendars to bed each fall, while I am extremely appreciative of the wonderful models of Anglo-Saxon, Teutonic, Caucasian, and Scandinavian heritage with whom I'm privileged to work, I am usually struggling to include at least one talented local or traveling model for each edition to fill the "exotic" category in the mix of 12 featured ladies for diversity's sake.

If you were local to me and able to take on the photographic concepts I shoot regularly as part of my ongoing paid projects, I'd gladly invite you to work with me at least every other month.

Good luck to you in your modeling pursuits; if you happen to be visiting the greater Seattle area in the future, please feel free to contact me.

Aug 06 15 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

You need photographers who know how to pose you and how to capture your (wonderful) skin tones.

#1 Your pose is good and your skin looks accurate.even though there is a slight green cast.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150709/08/559e960836597_m.jpg

#2  Here you are washed out with a green tinge, a wonderful smile but your eyes are thinking about something else.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150709/08/559e9601be0c4_m.jpg

#3/4 3 You needed to get the hair off your neck to show it - you almost don't have one. The flash is harsh and makes you look like a cutout. Odd skin colors on your back and the backs of your legs.
        4. Skin color is almost ok but harsh light and shadows are not flattering.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150408/10/55255f3834cfc_m.jpg

#5 Much better than the previous four.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150408/10/55255e9a9a769_m.jpg

#6 If I were you I'd be glad my face wasn't in this one. Too bad, it looks like it was a good pose but with a tv in the background, white specks on the top and unflattering light on your legs, you're better off without it.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140907/16/540cf021c8b62_m.jpg

#7 Your eyes say "Another shot??", Pose is awkward and you're square to the camera. There's a definite blue cast to the shot which is only flattering to the darkest black skin. Your skin looks much better with warmer tones.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130907/15/522ba45404964_m.jpg

#8 This is a bit better but your legs are so close together that they are causing a great black line down your thighs and it looks like you may fall over. Your back arch is causing skin folds - an 8th turn away would make them disappear (you'd have to ask the photographer if he could see them. Your mouth has a wonderful smile but you eyes are not there. You're about to have a wardrobe malfunction or so it would seem.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130609/23/51b57300ea7f2_m.jpg

As I stated at the top better photographers and you need to practice your 1000 watt smile so your eyes match it and your poses. A few really good shots in your portfolio and you'll need answering service.

All the best and find photographers who know how to do darker skin tones. Done well, they're gorgeous. Practice, practice, practice! All the best.

Aug 06 15 06:22 pm Link