Forums > Photography Talk > HSS with sony emount camera e.g A6000

Photographer

trt

London, England, United Kingdom

Please does anyone know a HSS  setup that works wit the Sony a6000 wirelessly? I am  considering the wistro ad 360 and phottix  odin but I'm not sure if it would work?

Many thanks

Jul 23 15 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Deji Joseph wrote:
Please does anyone know a HSS  setup that works wit the Sony a6000 wirelessly? I am  considering the wistro ad 360 and phottix  odin but I'm not sure if it would work?

Many thanks

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3 … t-53847475

Jul 23 15 07:53 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

The Sony HVL-F60M flash looks interesting, but I'm very skeptical of that GN=197 though.

My SB-900 is about GN=70 in reality (Just now confirmed that GN this AM outdoors too.).  Nikon claims about 130 or so, but I never get their published spec's outdoors and maybe half of that based on the flash meter.  I think the standard is some enclosed white box ISO standard gizmo that pumps up the numbers which make them appear better.  Someone may know better.  Sony is using some narrow-angle 105mm lens too in their specs.  GN number specs are often all over the place depending on their setup, imho.

Fwiw, I have the Quantum Trio and it is similar to the Godox 360.  I can get about GN=100 without the white diffuser on their round reflector.  With the diffuser, and a slight warming gel that gets it to about 5,600K as it is around 6,320K without the gel.) it works out to a GN=63.  That's a little less than the Nikon SB-900, although it is more wide-angle in operation too.  However, it doesn't thermal shutdown at full power like the Nikon does so a point there.

For some odd reason, I cannot get the Quantum flash into HSS this AM either.  Menu for HSS is grayed out in the flash and shutter will not go above 1/200.  Must be in the camera someplace?  Need to pull out the manuals and see why HSS is locked out.  I wanted to see how much lower the GN would drop below the GN=63, maybe half or more, but so much for that test with the D800E with the Quantum.

add:
Found out it wasn't set to 1/320(FP) in the flash menu on the Nikon's which is Nikon's HSS designation.  So I ended up with a GN=7 (Really!?) without the diffuser on the Quantum Trio for its HSS in Auto.  I was only 2.5 feet away at full power HSS off the flash for proper exposure at 1/8000 sec. ISO 100, f/2.8 on 50mm.  Pretty sad really.

Back to studio flash as the above GN's are just too low for me, unless indoors or in the dark.

Jul 23 15 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Perry Van Dongen

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Deji Joseph wrote:
Please does anyone know a HSS  setup that works wit the Sony a6000 wirelessly? I am  considering the wistro ad 360 and phottix odin but I'm not sure if it would work?

I have a Sony A6000 and the Phottix Odin for Sony and the HSS works all the way up to 1/4000 just as expected. I have tested it on several Sony and Minolta flashes that support HSS and even though I don't have a Godox Witstro AD360 I would expect it would work too. The HSS wireless feature should be a function of the transmitter-receiver rather than the camera-flash.

For the Phottix Odin to work on the Sony A6000 you will need a multi-interface hot shoe adapter. I think Sony is the only one that makes one at the moment but I'm probably wrong. I got mine from B&H. You may also need an adapter to convert the Godox Witstro AD360 to the old Sony/Minolta hot shoe style. I use both and again... no problems.

The Phottix Odin triggers are pretty good. I have had a few miss-fires but only over long distances or bouncing around walls (and that may have been due to weak batteries). I've only done test shots with the HSS settings and never actually used them on location. I bought the Phottix Odin because of its ability to change settings remotely.

Jul 23 15 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

GRMACK wrote:
The Sony HVL-F60M flash looks interesting, but I'm very skeptical of that GN=197 though.

My SB-900 is about GN=70 in reality (Just now confirmed that GN this AM outdoors too.).  Nikon claims about 130 or so, but I never get their published spec's outdoors and maybe half of that based on the flash meter.  I think the standard is some enclosed white box ISO standard gizmo that pumps up the numbers which make them appear better.  Someone may know better.  Sony is using some narrow-angle 105mm lens too in their specs.  GN number specs are often all over the place depending on their setup, imho.

Fwiw, I have the Quantum Trio and it is similar to the Godox 360.  I can get about GN=100 without the white diffuser on their round reflector.  With the diffuser, and a slight warming gel that gets it to about 5,600K as it is around 6,320K without the gel.) it works out to a GN=63.  That's a little less than the Nikon SB-900, although it is more wide-angle in operation too.  However, it doesn't thermal shutdown at full power like the Nikon does so a point there.

For some odd reason, I cannot get the Quantum flash into HSS this AM either.  Menu for HSS is grayed out in the flash and shutter will not go above 1/200.  Must be in the camera someplace?  Need to pull out the manuals and see why HSS is locked out.  I wanted to see how much lower the GN would drop below the GN=63, maybe half or more, but so much for that test with the D800E with the Quantum.

add:
Found out it wasn't set to 1/320(FP) in the flash menu on the Nikon's which is Nikon's HSS designation.  So I ended up with a GN=7 (Really!?) without the diffuser on the Quantum Trio for its HSS in Auto.  I was only 2.5 feet away at full power HSS off the flash for proper exposure at 1/8000 sec. ISO 100, f/2.8 on 50mm.  Pretty sad really.

Back to studio flash as the above GN's are just too low for me, unless indoors or in the dark.

The Qflash Q5 Tdr is about 160 watts,double the power
the Godox 360 is 360 watts,which is powerful enough to blow out the sun

Jul 23 15 03:42 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Chris Rifkin wrote:
The Qflash Q5 Tdr is about 160 watts,double the power
the Godox 360 is 360 watts,which is powerful enough to blow out the sun

True, the QFT5d/r does have double the output of the QF8 Trio units (allegedly), but they do not do HSS which the OP was looking for.  I went with the Trio for the HSS and TTL which seemed a good idea at the time, but it isn't really all that powerful, just better at not doing the thermal shutdown issues over the Nikon SB-900's I have.

More disturbing is the color temp meter in the attached shot.  It shows 7,590K in flash reading mode and the blue of the paper shows it too as the camera was in AWB and maybe expecting 5,300K.   The Trio seems to shift strongly to the blue in HSS as it extends the duration of the flash with the burst of shorter pops.  The diffuser on the table is what I normally leave on it in normal shooitng and you can see the Lee CT filter in it which gives me the GN=70 and maybe 5,600K.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150723/16/55b17984ab2d3.jpg

Still, in HSS a GN=7 is pretty sad and needing to be no more than 2.5 feet away too with the 5" mirror reflector and no diffuser.  I left the EXIF data in the shot too (ISO 100, 1/8000, f2/.8, 52mm at 2.5', Flash & return.).  I would need to add a Lee #443 to get the WB down to normal daylight as it goes so blue in HSS.

Personally, I like the looks of the Godox better than the Quantum Trio, and its menu looks cleaner too.  Lettering is wearing off my Trio already.  Trio does have some things like TTL and their odd zone range thing to control the background exposure.  Godox does make a lot of modifiers too that Quantum doesn't.  I've read about the Godox having a GN=80 in their AD360 and GN=60 in their AD180 model so a bit more than the Trio too and those numbers seem realistic - maybe.  HSS numbers may be as bad as mine though.

Jul 23 15 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

GRMACK wrote:

add:

Guide number is based on received light, at a certain distance. Traditionally, one meter. This is different than wattage, which is a measurement of energy spent.

If a flash head zooms further(like the top-end Nikon and Canons), it'll have a higher GN at those settings, even if actual light output is unchanged. I don't remember the exact math, but I seem to recall the SB-900 being about 2/3rds of a stop brighter than the SB-800 in a soft box, and about 3 stops brighter on-camera, shooting across the room.

HSS will drop that immensely, regardless of brand. Shooting at 1/4000th, I think you're normally at around 1/4 power. So if you have a GN of 100, you may have a GN of 25 in HSS mode.

Jul 23 15 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

trt

London, England, United Kingdom

Perry Van Dongen wrote:
For the Phottix Odin to work on the Sony A6000 you will need a multi-interface hot shoe adapter. I think Sony is the only one that makes one at the moment but I'm probably wrong. I got mine from B&H. You may also need an adapter to convert the Godox Witstro AD360 to the old Sony/Minolta hot shoe style. I use both and again... no problems.

Could i use a sony ETTL extension cable to trigger if the flash malfunctions

Jul 24 15 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Perry Van Dongen

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Deji Joseph wrote:
Could i use a sony ETTL extension cable to trigger if the flash malfunctions

Do you mean - if the transceiver malfunctions?  I don't have one to test it but I think you could... although there would be no need for the transceiver if you did use a cable.

Jul 24 15 03:29 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Jul 24 15 06:55 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

I also saw this monobloc that the reviewer said it was 2 stops stronger than the Godox AD360.  Claims to be 600 Ws, but the guy doesn't like the trigger nor the need for a separate one for HSS (Which seems an over-rated marketing ploy so far as it eats up photon power to the sensor like crazy, imho.).

http://www.lightingrumours.com/jinbei-h … eview-6604

I wish these reviewers would post the guide numbers based off their meters since the diffuser plays into it too.  If they get up to around GN=220+  then I'll consider them a match for daylight or enough to overpower it a bit (I like a little over-power leeway myself.).  Seems they just post what they get out of the camera, maybe alter it in post too, and proclaim it's good enough without really finding out the output of the units.  Some reviewer's tests still show no detail in dark hair, etc. outside, just solid black with the thing 5-6 feet away.

Jul 24 15 08:00 am Link