Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > $153,000 for rattlesnake bite antivenin?

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I came within inches of experiencing this problem first hand (leg), yesterday.

It would have seriously messed up my day had I put my foot down.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150902/07/55e70986924fe_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150902/07/55e709d303caa_m.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150902/07/55e709fbb7c0a_m.jpg

Kinda think the model might not want to shoot at this location.

Holy crap!!!!!    Not gonna lie I'd have peed my pants.

Sep 04 15 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

MN Photography wrote:

Robb Mann wrote:
It's not like you can shop around. Or wait for next-day shipping from Amazon. Supply and demand.

Well, that's exactly it.  Anytime you have a for profit business serving clients with an inelastic demand for the service, you are going to get price gouging.   I have a friend who lives in a rural area who had a medial emergency that the local hospital was not comfortable dealing with.  They told her that she would have to be helicoptered to a hospital 30 miles away.  They gave her no choice about it.  She got a bill for $40,000 for the helicopter.  Her insurance wouldn't pay and she hired an attorney and got the bill knocked down to $10,000.  Among the overcharges were a gouging fee from the rural hospital for picking up the phone to call the medevac company. 

Imagine if something like fire protection was run like healthcare.  You wake up at 2AM to find your house burning, call the fire department and they come out and give you an estimate of $50,000 for putting out the fire.  They also offer to rescue your children in the upstairs bedroom for an additional $30,000.  You'd shop around for other fire services while your house is burning, wouldn't you?[/quote

Moments like that is why i'm glad I live in nz.

Sep 04 15 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Allen Carbon wrote:

MN Photography wrote:

Robb Mann wrote:
It's not like you can shop around. Or wait for next-day shipping from Amazon. Supply and demand.

Well, that's exactly it.  Anytime you have a for profit business serving clients with an inelastic demand for the service, you are going to get price gouging.   I have a friend who lives in a rural area who had a medial emergency that the local hospital was not comfortable dealing with.  They told her that she would have to be helicoptered to a hospital 30 miles away.  They gave her no choice about it.  She got a bill for $40,000 for the helicopter.  Her insurance wouldn't pay and she hired an attorney and got the bill knocked down to $10,000.  Among the overcharges were a gouging fee from the rural hospital for picking up the phone to call the medevac company. 

Imagine if something like fire protection was run like healthcare.  You wake up at 2AM to find your house burning, call the fire department and they come out and give you an estimate of $50,000 for putting out the fire.  They also offer to rescue your children in the upstairs bedroom for an additional $30,000.  You'd shop around for other fire services while your house is burning, wouldn't you?[/quote

Moments like that is why i'm glad I live in nz.

Quotes are fucked again.

And many did their damnedest to stop ACA. Which is still just a bandaid towards fixing the big  problem.

Sadly there is no legal or ethical cure for stupidity.

Sep 05 15 12:06 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

And many did their damnedest to stop ACA. Which is still just a bandaid towards fixing the big  problem.

Sadly there is no legal or ethical cure for stupidity.

Sadly, Soapbox has died or I'd comment on this obviously slanted SB like comment.

Sep 05 15 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

At least antivenom is available so far.

-- Offered to give away the formula but no takers.

World's supply of snakebite anti-venom running out: Doctors Without Borders
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/world-s-su … -1.2551159

"A spokesman for Sanofi Pasteur said the pharmaceutical was driven out of the market by competitors selling cheaper products and that they announced in 2010 they would stop making anti-venom.
"It's very strange that (health officials) are only realizing this problem five years later," said Alain Bernal, a Sanofi Pasteur spokesman. He said the company has offered to transfer the anti-venom technology to others but "nothing has materialized yet.""

Sep 07 15 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Mysterious fungus threatens dwindling rattlesnake population
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/mysterio … -1.2509588

"In New Hampshire, the disease helped halve the population of rattlesnakes - now estimated at several dozen - after it was first spotted in 2006, although it was only afterward that scientists linked the fungus to the decline, officials said.
Vermont's population of timber rattlesnakes is down to two locations near Lake Champlain in the western part of the state with an estimated total population of several hundred."

Sep 07 15 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I just thought of something , I will have to google it...I wonder if cowboy boots genesis was in protection from rattle snakes in the old west.

Sep 07 15 07:32 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I just thought of something, I will have to google it...I wonder if cowboy boots genesis was in protection from rattle snakes in the old west.

I would be interested to see your google results, but I am going to say, not really.  Anybody that worked a horse wore boots long before the American West was settled by Europeans.  Statues and portraits of Revolutionary War men, all had boots.   I think what would have lead to the creation of cowboy boots was the work required.  The pointed toes and pointed heel is a result of working the horses.  Though they still used spurs.

Sep 07 15 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Wye wrote:
They know you have no real choice so they take advantage.

Part of this problem is directly related to the amount of regulation in the US, Canada, etc.

Let me use rabies as an example.

In the USA, most hospitals give you only one choice when it comes to rabies treatment. It is a fairly new treatment protocol. And I have been told (do not know if this is true) that it is the only protocol approved for use in the USA.

In Thailand, hospitals give multiple choices, from a protocol that was common 30 years ago, to the protocol that followed that one, to the protocol currently offered in the USA. The older treatments require more shots, and at least one requires the shots in the stomach.... but it works. And the older protocols are much cheaper.

Sep 09 15 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I would be interested to see your google results, but I am going to say, not really.  Anybody that worked a horse wore boots long before the American West was settled by Europeans.  Statues and portraits of Revolutionary War men, all had boots.   I think what would have lead to the creation of cowboy boots was the work required.  The pointed toes and pointed heel is a result of working the horses.  Though they still used spurs.

went to the wikipedia page, there really is no mention of snakes, it all appears to be relating to having rugged footware for the environment and riding horses... 

from wikipedia

"If a rider fell from a horse but had a boot get caught in the stirrup, there arose a very great risk that the horse could panic and run off, dragging the cowboy, causing severe injury and possible death.

"The tall leather shaft of the boot helped to hold the boot in place in the absence of lacing. The tall shaft, comfortably loose fit, and lack of lacing all were additional features that helped prevent a cowboy from being dragged since his body weight could pull his foot out of the boot if he fell off while the boot remained stuck in the stirrup. While mounted, the shaft also protected the lower leg and ankle from rubbing on the stirrup leathers, as well as fending off brush and thorns, particularly if also worn with chaps or chinks. While dismounted, the shaft helped protect the leg and foot from rocks, brush, thorns, and rattlesnakes. In wet weather or creek crossings, the high tops helped prevent the boot from filling with mud and water."

Sep 09 15 02:07 pm Link