Forums > Photography Talk > how can you get a look like this

Wardrobe Stylist

Cynthia Odunuyi

London, England, United Kingdom

how do you achieve a look like this in terms of water and  the water colour effect.
without drastic editing, how would you emulate something similar to this while taking pictures lets say in a garden or something. i find it amazing how these types of shoots look so fantasy like yet are probably quiet simple to achieve.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-m6RS … sp=sharing

Jul 25 15 08:50 am Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Photoshop not food coloring...besides your a stylist, why are you wasting your time asking anyone but the photographer who is going to shoot your project and recreating this effect.

Jul 25 15 09:19 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Cynthia Odunuyi

obviously not food colouring XD ! I am asking on the behalf of a student photographer.

Jul 25 15 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Who is the photographer?

If you had a giant clear tank, a big ladder, and an overhead softbox shot on an overcast day- maybe. Those are definitely most likely done in studio. Or a private indoor pool. Would be very surprised if not. Also need some decent rudimentary photoshop skills as mentioned

Jul 25 15 09:29 am Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cynthia Odunuyi wrote:
obviously not food colouring XD ! I am asking on the behalf of a student photographer.

Just wondering because you started another thread about blue water in a tub. And, are you one of the stylist that looks for "picture takers" so you can control an entire photo shoot instead of real accomplished photographers?

Jul 25 15 09:37 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Cynthia Odunuyi wrote:
i find it amazing how these types of shoots look so fantasy like yet are probably quiet simple to achieve.

Maybe not...

I can't help noticing what appears to be a complete lack of moisture on any of the model's faces  (hint, hint)

You're either dealing with a very sophisticated team, great experienced models and a custom setup very carefully staged for each model (with great care for the models body and head support versus the water level), or some terrific "complete reinvention of reality" post work or, most likely, both.

What this was NOT is something that was quickly and easily set up and "snapped".

Jul 25 15 11:16 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Colored gels on lights behind the models.

Jul 25 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Shei  P wrote:
Just wondering because you started another thread about blue water in a tub. And, are you one of the stylist that looks for "picture takers" so you can control an entire photo shoot instead of real accomplished photographers?

Just wondering why her motivation for posting the question is any of your (or our) business? And, are you one of those people that looks for ways to stir the pot rather than contributing any real value to the discussion?

As to the images in question, along with no water on the face, the cloth on the pink bikini doesn't really look like the parts under the water are actually wet. That type of material seems like it should look darker when wet, and capillary action should create an extension of the damp area above the actual water contact line. The only way I can see it looking like that is if the bikini was actually fully wet and then the model's skin was dried off after she was in position.

Jul 25 15 12:07 pm Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

Eye of the World wrote:
Just wondering why her motivation for posting the question is any of your (or our) business? And, are you one of those people that looks for ways to stir the pot rather than contributing any real value to the discussion?

What do you think? 

And photoshop can take care of the capillary actions as you like to point out. And dont forget about those adhesive properties as well.

Liquid transport through a porous media V = AS x sqrt T

Jul 25 15 12:39 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Cynthia Odunuyi

Shei  P wrote:

Eye of the World wrote:

What do you think? 

I do agree, i have noticed a lot of people on here can be quiet rude, however i understand you are trying to help. Yes I am a stylist however i have talents in other sectors too including art direction. After all experience is not gained over night, and this is a community where we can learn from others , so why not.

thanks x

Jul 25 15 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I'll try to be as polite as possible. If I come across as rude ... Well to be honest, that's partially due to the fact that you're asking for an answer that nobody can give you.

These shots are very heavily post-processed. You asked how do them simply in camera.

The answer is that you can't. You could do it all in-camera, but it wouldn't be simple at all, since the effect relies on post-production.

You may as well be asking how to record a singer to make it sound like you used autotune and pitch shifting, without actually using those things. You could do it, but only if you had an incredible singer with an amazing range and voice control. You'd need a Cassandra Wilson or Bobby McFerrin level singer.

I'm also a little put off by your statement that you're doing this to help a student. Certainly no teacher or mentor can be expected to know everything - I sure as hell didn't when I started. Not knowing is perfectly fine - you'll know next time.

But the way you are responding to perfectly helpful responses that aren't what you want to hear isn't the most professional for an educator. I hope that you usually handle these things differently. If not, you really should; as a teacher, you hear a LOT of stuff you don't want to hear. If you take it all personally, you're going to get burned out awful quickly.

Jul 25 15 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Cynthia Odunuyi wrote:
how do you achieve a look like this in terms of water and  the water colour effect.
without drastic editing, how would you emulate something similar to this while taking pictures lets say in a garden or something. i find it amazing how these types of shoots look so fantasy like yet are probably quiet simple to achieve.

Looks pretty easy enough.

If it was me, I would do the following:

1.  Construct using large 6x8  (or 6x10) poly clear glass as your base.  using two feet height of poly glass around the parameter of the base so that it can hold about one feet high of water.
2.  Put about 8 or so inches of water in it and have model lay on top of it.  You do not want the model's face cover with water when she lay on top facing up.

Basically, you are creating a large table but the surface of the table is clear poly glass and the parameter is about 2 feet high (to avoid splash of water spill outside). 
Since it is clear bottom base, you can put any gel on the flash/strobe below (underneath the base).
Use additional strobes on top/side of the model. 

Use photo shop to enhance the image.

Jul 25 15 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Agree.   Laying on plexi.  Colored gels on lights.   

People always jump on the PS bandwagon.   God lord.  We did amazing things with sets built in the studio using nothing but film, lights, gels, etc. 

Yes, you could do it in post but it does't look that hard to do for real.  Probably easier.

Jul 25 15 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Jul 25 15 08:09 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Cynthia Odunuyi

BlueMoonPics wrote:
In a pool with people splashing...

http://theultimateedit.com/underwater/

http://www.cheng-han.com/underwater/

awesome! thanks for your help smile

Jul 26 15 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Photos_by_Stan

Youngstown, Ohio, US

Simple ... Pretty sure NOT cheap
model
swimming pool
under water lights with gels
maybe two guys in scuba gear blowing bubbles or agitating the water and aiming lights
camera directly over the model on crane or some kind of rig / scaffold

NO budget :
try the bath tub with the model propped off the bottom ( clear plastic boxes ? )
colored glow sticks or something ( cheap waterproof LED flashlight / strip or rope lights )
Alka-Seltzer or fizzy tablets or rubber hose to make waves / bubbles ( a whirlpool or Jacuzzi would be better )
chair or ladder

Jul 27 15 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Downtown Pro Photo

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

wasn't done in camera, photoshop work.
Lighting on the skin continues unaltered under the water that shows turbulence, that would not be the case in reality.  Points of contact with water don't show any signs of surface tension against the skin, there would be some that shows in secular highlights.  Secular highlights on the water don't show any corresponding effect on skin underneath it in shallow water, plus you would only get those kind of secular highlights on peaks of turbulence that wouldn't happen like that on barely beneath the water skin surface if you're to believe the planes.  No coloration changes in the fabric or hair in the water.
The water changes perspective from the subject in places and is turbulent on one side but not the other in one of the images.
Interesting images, but the water and color is added in during post.  You can take images of a glass tray with gelled lights under it to get the elements used to create the water in post or use textured color overlays set to color blend mode and mask where needed.

Jul 27 15 11:19 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Downtown Pro Photo wrote:

That was my original suspicion as well, but it turned out that it was originally shot in water.  I'm sure some post work was still done later though.

It turns out that the photographer has some really detailed behind the scenes photos on his Facebook page.  Definitely a major operation.  Complete with hair / make-up stylist in the water beside the model who's on the support system.  Paper towels dabbing away any moisture on the face, etc.  Superb models, team and set-up.

He also offers one on one water fashion shoot tutorials to use his custom water shooting tank set-up and expertise (for a fee).

Very nicely done!

Jul 27 15 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Photos_by_Stan

Youngstown, Ohio, US

Downtown Pro Photo wrote:
Lighting on the skin continues unaltered under the water that shows turbulence, that would not be the case in reality.  Points of contact with water don't show any signs of surface tension against the skin, there would be some that shows in secular highlights.  Secular highlights on the water don't show any corresponding effect on skin underneath it in shallow water, plus you would only get those kind of secular highlights on peaks of turbulence that wouldn't happen like that on barely beneath the water skin surface if you're to believe the planes.  No coloration changes in the fabric or hair in the water.
The water changes perspective from the subject in places and is turbulent on one side but not the other in one of the images.
Interesting images, but the water and color is added in during post.  You can take images of a glass tray with gelled lights under it to get the elements used to create the water in post or use textured color overlays set to color blend mode and mask where needed.

Wrong ..
they already posted above a link to the photographer
it was shot in a swimming pool

Not to say it can't be done like you say ...

Jul 27 15 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Downtown Pro Photo

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

Photos by Stan wrote:
Wrong ..
they already posted above a link to the photographer
it was shot in a swimming pool

Not to say it can't be done like you say ...

I'm not understanding why go through all the work to actually shoot it in water and then post production it so that it looks like it wasn't.  Seems like a monumental waste of effort when it would be easier to get the same exact look with far less work.

Jul 28 15 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Because 'a lot of work' is different for everyone.

If you have access to a swimming pool or a small tank, and you have a few assistants on staff, all the right gear, and a few hours to shoot, it's easier to do it for real.

If you don't have all of those things, or the shoot doesn't go the way you planned, it's easier to do it in post. If you use a typical home bathtub for instance, you're going to have a damn hard time getting lights on either side, since the tub is against the wall.

It may also be easier to do it in post if that's where your strengths lie.

We discussed this in school for a loooong time in regards to Jeff Wall. He did a lot of montages that accomplished what could(almost) never be done in person. A Sudden Gust of Wind is a perfect example. He also did a lot that didn't need to be montages, either because he was experimenting with the medium(he started this in the 90s, remember), or because making montages is just what Jeff Wall does.

So maybe he made more work for himself, and maybe he didn't. At the very least, it gave him a lot of opportunity to learn.

Jul 28 15 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Cynthia Odunuyi wrote:

Customized DIY poleax glass basin with lights underneath and a water supply.

Jul 28 15 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

AHphotography

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shei  P wrote:

Oh god I ran into some of those clowns before.  Acting like they run the show. they forget without the Photographer they are just playing dress up.  Play your part let the Photographer do his/her's

Jul 29 15 06:47 pm Link