Forums > Model Colloquy > Models - waiting in the bullpen?

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

mods - question answered

Please - this is not supposed to be a "snarky photographer in the model section" post.

I have had a bad run of new (at least to me) models - In years past, I always seemed to have people ready and on time - not anymore.  (guess I got spoiled by people that actually wanted to work with me...) sad   Now, it's weeks of planning and clear communications - derailed by impossible changes at the last moment - with no time to find a replacement

As a result of my latest "waste of a month of plans" I'm considering having a backup model in the wings - but, I'm stumped as to how to phrase it or approach somebody.  I have a horror of appearing like an insensitive clod - but, I have no idea of how to make it sound the least desirable.

"Hi, I want to work with somebody else - but, you'll do"  - nope

"You were ninth on my list - welcome aboard" - hmmmm.

So, a serious question for models - is there any way to approach you as a backup model, without sounding like an insulting guy who's future - includes being run down in a dark alley?

Jul 25 15 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

I would suggest not bringing up the subject to any models you actually want to work with. What do they get paid for being on-call? I mean a girls gotta do some prep before shooting... What's she going to do wait at homeplaying video games??

Jul 25 15 07:55 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I have been a backup before and I was totally fine with it. BUT, I had worked with the photographer before so I wasn't offended. I would suggest you have a backup that you have worked with before or maybe a friend?

Jul 25 15 07:57 pm Link

Model

Miss SM

Portland, Maine, US

I'd understand if someone explained to me that they needed a back-up "just in case" person, but I would absolutely expect be paid to be on call, whether you needed to use me or not.

Jul 25 15 07:59 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've been "on call" for workshops before, then both times ended up getting to come and work. On one occasion, there were two models booked and neither showed, so I came instead and got to take home both girls' pay. That was pretty sweet.

But, the only way it is beneficial is if you're on call for something (very) local, as in only a 10-15 minute commute away. I wouldn't risk losing out on a guaranteed paid booking while traveling to wait on-call and I certainly wouldn't commute an hour or two in order to sit and wait to get called in.

Jul 25 15 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Thank you all very much for your replies - it seems like my fears about appearing a jerk would be - in general - impossible to avoid.  (Especially since I'm kinda in the boondocks for S. Cal and the models within 10-15 miles is really limited.)

So, Guess I'm going to have to change up my plans - no more big projects with "new to me" people.

Small shoots - and then something interesting later - if they show up for the first one

It makes me sad to take the approach that you can't trust anybody though sad

Thanks again...

Jul 25 15 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

Vintagevista wrote:
Please - this is not a "snarky photographer in the model section" post.

I have had a bad run of new (at least to me) models - In years past, I always seemed to have people ready and on time - not anymore.  (guess I got spoiled by people that actually wanted to work with me...) sad   Now, it's weeks of planning and clear communications - derailed by impossible changes at the last moment - with no time to find a replacement

As a result of my latest "waste of a month of plans" I'm considering having a backup model in the wings - but, I'm stumped as to how to phrase it or approach somebody.  I have a horror of appearing like an insensitive clod - but, I have no idea of how to make it sound the least desirable.

"Hi, I want to work with somebody else - but, you'll do"  - nope

"You were ninth on my list - welcome aboard" - hmmmm.

So, a serious question for models - is there any way to approach you as a backup model, without sounding like an insulting guy who's future - includes being run down in a dark alley?

How does asking them if they are available for a possible test sound? That way they will know they are on stand by in case your original shoot doesn't go as planned. Although I think if they are the understudy and don't get shot then there should be something to offer them at a later time, a scheduled test with them?

Jen

Jul 25 15 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

If you're already having trouble with reliability from models, why do you think a model who ostensibly knows they are just a backup, be any more reliable - I think it would be the reverse.

Jul 25 15 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Vintagevista wrote:
Thank you all very much for your replies - it seems like my fears about appearing a jerk would be - in general - impossible to avoid.  (Especially since I'm kinda in the boondocks for S. Cal and the models within 10-15 miles is really limited n...

Hehe, talk about being in the boonies, try doing a model search within 50 miles of 92251 limited to logged in within 30 days!! This is my Hell!!:-))

Jul 26 15 07:03 am Link

Model

Shei P

Brooklyn, New York, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
If you're already having trouble with reliability from models, why do you think a model who ostensibly knows they are just a backup, be any more reliable - I think it would be the reverse.

Glad you said it before it did.

Try paying more experienced models instead.

Jul 26 15 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Shei  P wrote:
Glad you said it before it did.

Try paying more experienced models instead.

*grits teeth*

The last fiasco was with an "experienced" MM model - and was a paid job.

Jul 26 15 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Koryn wrote:
I've been "on call" for workshops before, then both times ended up getting to come and work. On one occasion, there were two models booked and neither showed, so I came instead and got to take home both girls' pay. That was pretty sweet.

But, the only way it is beneficial is if you're on call for something (very) local, as in only a 10-15 minute commute away. I wouldn't risk losing out on a guaranteed paid booking while traveling to wait on-call and I certainly wouldn't commute an hour or two in order to sit and wait to get called in.

Thank you - I used to have somebody that was nearby that was great to shoot on a moments notice/whim - but, she retired and moved away.  (Like I said in the OP - I guess I was spoiled)

I think that the path is pretty clear - I have to find a new group of models to work with - and first, try a small shoot to see if they are at all reliable - before ever trying anything big with them.  The idea of an "On Call" model will only piss most folks off

Again, this makes me sad to have to assume the worst about people - but, there it is.  Thanks for the replies

Jul 26 15 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

It would be better to plan shoots with multiple models and if 1 can't make it you are still shooting.

Jul 26 15 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Here is my approach.

When I have to book a model for a client, I have to inform them that if they are using a model to whom I have not worked with before, that there is a very high likelihood they are going to flake. So I explain to them the fact that if the model flakes, myself, the studio, the MUA...everyone gets paid and there is nothing to show for it. As such I tell them that the investment for a backup model is always a good idea...it's like buying insurance.

Now, the backup model is always told he/she is a backup model and will be paid for 2 hours of their work, even if they are sent home early, They're happy because they are getting paid either way. What USUALLY happens is the client sees there are two models on set and decides to use both of them. This way it's a win/win for everyone, and if Model 1 flakes, we have a second option.

My new approach for when I'm doing very important TFP shoots (shoots where I'm investing a lot of time and money) is to cast two models for the TFP even though I'm only using one. Both are willing to do the shoot on a TFP basis even though I only need one. If Model 1 flakes, I have a backup. If Model 1 arrives on time and is ready to do the shoot, I pay Model 2 for her time and send her home if she's not needed. All of this is explained up front. Again, win/win for everyone and it helps a lot.

Jul 26 15 09:17 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
Here is my approach.

When I have to book a model for a client, I have to inform them that if they are using a model to whom I have not worked with before, that there is a very high likelihood they are going to flake. So I explain to them the fact that if the model flakes, myself, the studio, the MUA...everyone gets paid and there is nothing to show for it. As such I tell them that the investment for a backup model is always a good idea...it's like buying insurance.

You're kidding right? Can't imagine that going over very well with most clients - Why wouldn't they (or even you if you're sourcing) just use an agency - I mean, that's kind of one of the primary reasons agencies exist.

Jul 26 15 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Loki Studio wrote:
It would be better to plan shoots with multiple models and if 1 can't make it you are still shooting.

I agree. If there is any doubt at all, book it as a 2 model shoot, & have a backup plan to shoot with just one.
I like the idea, if it is a paid shoot, of also paying the "responsible" one, what the "flake" would have got,
since she saved the shoot!

Jul 26 15 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Please note in the OP - that I was looking for model input to this specific question.  Which has been generally answered.

I have asked for this thread to be locked before it becomes another photographer dominated gripefest in the models section.

Jul 26 15 10:41 am Link

Model

Julia A Campbell

DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, Florida, US

I recently did a paying "test shoot" for a photographer when his original girl called out. It's not the best feeling in the world, but then there are so many models to work with, as long as the end result is superb does it matter if everything went according to plan? Most things in life rarely do.

Jul 26 15 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Yes I still model on average of 3 jobs per week. (Though most of that is through an art school)

Being "in the bull pen" as you say is actually how I have gotten many many many of my modeling jobs.
I just got a call two days ago about a last minute modeling gig, yet another model flaked.  (The artist has my number is on speed dial.)

I am fine with being the backup model.
I know I'm booked months out, I don't have to take the smaller jobs, I know I charge a bit more than the newer models, I know I'm a diva who will tell you your lighting sucks, I have tattoos. These and other factors have always given me an advantage.

I tell people honestly, "Go hire her, when she fucks up your project, then you can call me"

Jul 26 15 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

You're kidding right? Can't imagine that going over very well with most clients -

100% of the time I have pitched the idea the client went for it. If it's a big shoot and the client doesn't want to go the route of an agency, this is the best possible option. Every time I pitch the idea the client tells me how much they love the concept.

Why wouldn't they (or even you if you're sourcing) just use an agency - I mean, that's kind of one of the primary reasons agencies exist.

Some clients certainly do go the agency route but many of them would rather go cheap and think of an agency model as being too expensive.

Jul 26 15 04:46 pm Link