Forums > General Industry > Neal Hamil Agency in Houston

Model

Paulina Sjoberg

Houston, Texas, US

Hello everyone! My name is Paulina and its been a long time since I've been on MM. I'm here today in hopes that I can get come solid advice on the Neal Hamil agency. I first was contracted directly by one od the casting directors after I had submitted to their website. I went to their open call and after talking and passing their assessment, they liked me and wanted me to be part of Neal Hamil. There were some things I didn't know that they felt I needed training for even though I had been modeling for a few years already as a freelancer, so they offered me their school. I later on said I couldn't afford it, and then they said I should consider getting a direct conteact, so I can skip all the schooling and start working with Neal Hamil directly. This was great news, but I was 17 at the time and didn't want to make a big move like that yet, I felt unprepared. Now, I'm 19, I've grown, I've toned up, and I'm ready to take the next step. I realize that the Houston market is not something I'll make money off of and that Dallas is best for work, but I'm hoping that being with Neal Hamil will be a good start for me and eventually I can move up to being with Campbell in Dallas and hopefully male my way to NEXT Model Management, which is my goal.

I've contacted the lady who went through the whole process with me, and she was at IMTA, so she couldn't get back to be soon as she wanted. She will be contacting me soon about what I should do and if the option to get a direct contract is still an option for me, but in the meantime, I needed some advice for anyone who has been in my situation.

If you've had or have a direct contract with Neal Hamil, how does the conteact look? What are some bullet points? Also, did you need a great portfolio to bring to them so you could get this direct contract? How has the experience been? Have you gotten any paid work? Do you feel the contract has limited you or help you become more known?

Please, only industry standard models should reply or anyone who's had experience with this situation. Thank you!

Jul 27 15 10:43 pm Link

Model

Tabitha Kitty

Dallas, Texas, US

I had a similar issue in my home town in Houston, now I don't know anything about Neal Hamil except their reviews. But most agencies like Page Parks and Neal Hamil are really known for being, "Modeling Schools" that put you through training and drain you at least a couple of grand. They won't even give you that many gigs, from what I've heard maybe a couple.

If look over these Houston agencies, most of their reviews are normally sad stories of people getting scammed. Even if you know how to model they will still say other wise to get a profit. Now if you go back to Neal Hamil, there is a good chance they may not give you free work but you can try. In a way they may think on why they would give free work to someone if they have paying customer models shelling hundreds or even thousands.

From my experience in Houston, there isn't any good actually agencies or any good photographers because Houston is not about modeling/media only a small businesses, health care, engineering, and oil city. Now because of this I couldn't find any work there but only some photographers who only do Trade for photos.

But now since I've moved to Dallas, there is more modeling type of work but if you freelance its very hard to find but there are a lot of promotional work
and a lot of promotional companies. Then like you said there are actually modeling agencies to choose from but beware that cragslist for freelance is only good for finding promo tradeshow work sometimes but most of cragslist is nude modeling or rub down girls. There are also a lot more photographers here but you have to pick and choose from the bad and good.

I hope that this helped a little bit and good luck with Neal Hamil

I really hope that helped and I do hope Neal Hamil treats you well.

Aug 03 15 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Light on Location

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Tabitha Kitty wrote:
I had a similar issue in my home town in Houston, now I don't know anything about Neal Hamil except their reviews. But most agencies like Page Parks and Neal Hamil are really known for being, "Modeling Schools" that put you through training and drain you at least a couple of grand. They won't even give you that many gigs, from what I've heard maybe a couple.

If look over these Houston agencies, most of their reviews are normally sad stories of people getting scammed. Even if you know how to model they will still say other wise to get a profit. Now if you go back to Neal Hamil, there is a good chance they may not give you free work but you can try. In a way they may think on why they would give free work to someone if they have paying customer models shelling hundreds or even thousands.

From my experience in Houston, there isn't any good actually agencies or any good photographers because Houston is not about modeling/media only a small businesses, health care, engineering, and oil city. Now because of this I couldn't find any work there but only some photographers who only do Trade for photos.

But now since I've moved to Dallas, there is more modeling type of work but if you freelance its very hard to find but there are a lot of promotional work
and a lot of promotional companies. Then like you said there are actually modeling agencies to choose from but beware that cragslist for freelance is only good for finding promo tradeshow work sometimes but most of cragslist is nude modeling or rub down girls. There are also a lot more photographers here but you have to pick and choose from the bad and good.

I hope that this helped a little bit and good luck with Neal Hamil

I really hope that helped and I do hope Neal Hamil treats you well.

Don't forget Kim Dawson. They have "The Work," but.

Unless you have "The Look."

It will be recommended you attend KD Studios, $$$$.

Aug 04 15 10:52 am Link