Forums > Photography Talk > Prepping for an upcoming shoot, what's your style?

Photographer

RickyMichiels

London, England, United Kingdom

So I am in the middle of prepping for a shoot I have this weekend and have been looking at inspo, thinking about the lighting/weather etc. and I was wondering, what's your guys' flow or thought process when you're prepping for an upcoming shoot?
I've picked my models from the agency already, got a general idea of my two locations I'll be using and have a mood board. But usually when I get to the shoot most of this changes and I go with the flow. I am wondering how other people shoot.. is your process pretty much the same? Do you stick to your exact plan? I know things change i.e) weather, models etc. but I'd like to hear some of your guys' process? I find if I prep too much I show up to the shoot and have too much running through my mind from so many different ideas I go in a completely different direction!

Jul 29 15 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

It depends on each shoot I think but generally I stick to a formula for editorial stuff, especially beauty editorials.  I normally make a mood board/inspiration board and from there I try to pick a model that will work with what I'm doing.  A lot of times though a model will want to work with me and I'll have a mood board already set up or at least something in my head and I'll work that around her.  From there I figure out makeup/hair looks  and styling and book the appropriate people that I think will be able to handle that. 

I do my own styling most times so this is the point where I'll go shopping, but even if I have everything I need I often ask the model to bring along stuff as well just in case.  The two times I've worked with someone who provided wardrobe it was people who owned stores so it was a bit more laissez faire and they were more in control of the overall style of the shoot I think as opposed to me telling them I wanted a certain look. 

After that I'll either scout out locations or i'll test the lighting in my studio and if the shoot is going to be a long one with many looks I like to make a list of what looks I'm doing and in what order and what poses I like for each look just to make things go a little smoothing in case I lose my train of thought. 

Normally things go pretty smoothly considering but some shoots will always have hiccups or things won't go as planned.  I know I just had an outside shoot were I wanted a nice clear day and it was like that up until the shoot where it got crazy overcast and we had to work around that.

Jul 29 15 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

my models generally won't shoot without a general plan, style, location, etc. so we can't just wing it completely on the day of the shoot.

shoots often take on a life of their own but it's good to have some sort of plan to fall back on if inspiration is lacking or the weather's bad or whatever.

generally i'll have sent some sample shots to the model (or vice-versa) so we have some ideas of what we are trying for.

for a TF shoot i try not to over-plan since the model may flake (sometimes i don't even start setting up the studio until the model arrives which can work out if we have a MUA). maybe this is less of an issue with agency models.

Jul 29 15 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I tend to plan the shoot in quite a bit of detail in advance with a specific image in mind.  On set I typically start executing that image.  It can change a little bit and evolve somewhat as we're working, but generally we're working toward creating that image.  Once we have it then we usually move on to experiment with other ideas which are typically much less planned and more collaborative.

I enjoy both elements of the shoot, but by far the most enjoyable is realizing an image which is in my head so it is very rare that I just get together with a model with little planning to just see what comes of it.

Jul 29 15 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

ValHig

I always have a moodboard and shot list prepared. When ideas come to me during the process, I much prefer to do the basics I planned and then build on them than just winging it completely and if I don't actually have the ideas ready and an outcome to work towards I just don't start arranging a shoot.

I've taken a much more lax approach on a few shoots (or just didn't know what the designer was bringing to get ideas together properly) and the results were nowhere near as good. 

For what it's worth, when I was on the other side of the camera and occasionally worked on these sites, it was always a lot easier to work with people who had an overall vision and story for the images rather than just shooting. No matter how vague those instructions are.

Jul 30 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

RickyMichiels

ValHig wrote:
I always have a moodboard and shot list prepared. When ideas come to me during the process, I much prefer to do the basics I planned and then build on them than just winging it completely and if I don't actually have the ideas ready and an outcome to work towards I just don't start arranging a shoot.

I've taken a much more lax approach on a few shoots (or just didn't know what the designer was bringing to get ideas together properly) and the results were nowhere near as good. 

For what it's worth, when I was on the other side of the camera and occasionally worked on these sites, it was always a lot easier to work with people who had an overall vision and story for the images rather than just shooting. No matter how vague those instructions are.

Agreed I'm the same, what do your shot lists usually consist of? Looks you're going for in specific locations?

Jul 30 15 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I prep a moodboard, and sketch ideas. I put together my lighting, styling, and models around this.

Once I get to the shoot though anything goes. If I'm shooting and instinct tells me to do otherwise, I follow that.

Jul 30 15 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

i love pinterest.

Jul 30 15 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I wing it, always.

Jul 30 15 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

ValHig

RickyMichiels wrote:

Agreed I'm the same, what do your shot lists usually consist of? Looks you're going for in specific locations?

The shot list is the styling, approximate pose, exact part of the location, and a vague idea of the angle/orientation/etc for each pic. Since the locations are chargeable by the hour it helps to just fire them out than stand there thinking 'what next'.

Jul 31 15 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

MOUNT ROYAL, New Jersey, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
I wing it, always.

this, of course i shoot for fun, even if i am getting paid.

Jul 31 15 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Alien LiFe

San Jose, California, US

I do location shoots most of time. My game plan depending on weather we will shoot in my 'usual' spots or new ones. I tend to go with less gear/wardrobes when we about to hit new locations but for spots that I already knew, I will have more complete set-up, lighting wise.

Concepts will determine where I will shoot. But most of the time, I will try to fit some concepts to some spots that I'm familiar with (how it looks on certain time of the year, lighting on time of the day etc.) and these will also narrow it down on what kind of shoot that I can do there ...
I don't do moodboard ... I studied some looks that I like the day before shoot. I like to start from nothing when I shoot ... I will know what I'm gonna do when I'm there in the location with the model ...

On logistic part, I will make sure I have all the essensials (fully charged & SD card ready on camera, fully charged battery pack & flashlights, cables, PWs, ND filters, CTO gels, flash holder, lightstand, softbox, loupe, gaffer tape, bug spray etc.) & some wardrobes pieces from my own collections (since art nude models rarely own extensive wardrobes pieces, unless they also do glamour stuff )

Jul 31 15 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Panic.

Jul 31 15 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

EXCOGITATE Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

For the most I proceed with our initial engagement of the photo shoot... But depending on location (s), like exterior shoots for example I tend to go
With the mood of the model and continue to scout other general location with my client  within the ambiance itself. And you will amaze yourself with the creative shoots and The natural environment the earth  provides. Have all your equipment prep and ready and also music helps to relax the atmosphere of the photo shoot. Create a playlist for your photo shoot. You will do fine.

Jul 31 15 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Al Green XM

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

The ideas bounce around in my head till they form - conceptualizing is where the works done.  On the tech side Fuji XT 1 is so good only prep needed is charging the battery.

Jul 31 15 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

RMMCREATIVE

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Sketch it out and follow a list. You don't have to follow it word for word, but that should give you a starting point.

Aug 01 15 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Snarkhunter Imaging

Harvard, Massachusetts, US

I usually have about ten potential concepts pretty clear in my mind, but then actually get to only about three or four of them. When the model arrives, I share a few concepts, and try to gauge her comfort level and interest, to see whether that should inform where we focus first.

Then, II start with a warmup. Something easy and fun and usually with some interesting props, just to get comfortable and make conversation. If it's a nude shoot, I'll start with clothed shots, maybe just a portrait to establish a little rapport, for fifteen minutes or so. I'll try to get a really strong image early, and usually share it with the model to give her an idea of what I'm after.

I am trying to develop the habit of emailing the release to the model in advance of the shoot.

Aug 06 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I like to stand outside in the drive wondering where the hell everyone is.

Aug 07 15 02:28 pm Link