Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Crowdfunding a Project

Photographer

Tad Boomer Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hi guys.  In addition to photography, I am a novice writer, director, and producer of film.  To gain some experience in crowdfunding and other areas of film production, I happened to make contact with a gentleman who is making the third in a trilogy of gay romantic comedy movies. 

Long story short, I wanted the experience because I am writing my own screenplay at the moment and I wanted to know what I would be up against trying to raise the funds to put together a professional production.  And boy it's not a piece of cake.  The nice thing is that I am going to make some money taking stills while on location in September. 

But getting back to the campaign  http://bit.ly/1M1T5N8 , did I mention how hard it is to get people to part with a $5, $10, or $20 dollar bill.  It's a very humbling experience.  But a necessary one.  Hopefully this isn't considered SPAM because in bringing this to your attention as potential donors, some of you may qualify to be an extra in the movie.  But you will just have to check out the website.  (Using bit.ly just to shorten the URL, nothing sinister) 

Was supposed to shoot a new model yesterday but Monday I went to double check and make sure that the site was still available as they are always bulldozing down woods here, and I seem to have found a red wasps nest.  Six stings and I'm allergic so be careful out there.  I'm just glad I checked the day before as I would have been highly upset for my insurance to have to pay out a claim.

Jul 30 15 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

On the Site-Related forum, I asked Should crowdfunding requests be allowed?, and apparently they are allowed (but "vote for me" threads are not). 

I think crowdfunding is getting a bit out of hand -- people just think of it as free money.  I think that often the money raised does not go to the purpose that is posted.  I like to think of myself as generous, but I prefer to give to local charities (that I can see) and local school art programs.  If I'm going to invest in a film project, I want to be able to share in any profits down the line.

Jul 30 15 08:29 am Link