Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Leather jacket: How would you retouch the creases?

Retoucher

Ikiri

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi,

I'd like to spice up my retouching skills with fabrics & textures. This leather jacket here is a bit of a challenge:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb9rrbjqalna6eo/Leather.jpg

I'm familiar with d&b and frequency separation. Which approach would you take to clean up the creases? (particularly the ones that go down the arm on the left, and the ones below the shoulder to the right).

Thank you for your ideas and help!

Aug 08 15 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I think the best solution is a combination of FS and the patch tool.

Aug 08 15 09:59 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Motordrive Photography wrote:
I think the best solution is a combination of FS and the patch tool.

+1

Aug 08 15 10:17 am Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

Never worked much with the patch tool, though of course I've played around with it a little bit. (CS6)
Patch Tool seems a bit basic, and I can't really see much of an advantage to the normal healing brush, apart from maybe previsualization. Do people use it much?

Also: Is it possible to adjust the softness/hardness of the patch tool? (similar to a normal brush or clone/healing brush tool I mean)
Anyone know of any "tricks" or nice workflows with the patch tool?

Aug 08 15 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

a combination of Clone tool at low brush settings, D&B and perhaps some Healing - all on separate layers.

Aug 08 15 01:06 pm Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

So, I've given this a first try:

1) FS
2) Patch Tool on low frequency
3) Clone Tool on high frequency (ellipse shaped brush at various angles – not sure if necessary, but felt better)

The result was still a bit "blotchy". Possibly because of the FS radius setting I used (5 pixels). So I added an inverted highpass on top of everything (= the third image in the "before & after" animated gif here: )

https://i.imgur.com/kSJoFep.gif

What do you reckon? Which areas should I improve on? Or should I better try again, maybe with a different FS radius?
I'd appreciate any kind of feedback. I really want to improve my overall "fabric" retouching skills.
(Also wouldn't mind some more images to practice on, if you can recommend some...)

Thanks very much!

Aug 11 15 07:40 am Link