Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Fax'd legal sized documents --> letter size

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Curse all lawyers -- not only do they use ponderous language, they also use paper (legal size) that only they use.  The obfuscating language & the proprietary paper dimensions are (I think) all designed to create more work for lawyers.  Darn them all to heck!

In any case, via fax I recently received a document that was originally on legal paper.  The sender didn't have a more sophisticated fax machine nor a scanner that could handle legal sized paper nor the expertise to handle legal size documents, so each legal sized page came through as two letter sized pages:  the first page contains the first 75% of the legal sized original and the second page contains the bottom 75% of the legal sized original.

Okay -- I can live with this -- after all, all the relevant information is available. 

But, is there an easy way to take the two letter sized pages & merge them into one legal sized page that can then, in turn, be reduced down to letter sized?  Suggestions welcome, but if it's too much work, I'll struggle with what I've got.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 18 15 01:04 pm Link

Model

DiDi Majors

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

I don't know if you have an iPhone.  I have an iPhone app call Genius Scan.  I think the basic app is free, but you can pay a few dollars for extra features like faxing.  Not sure if it is available for Android.

What I would do with your document is line the pages up as one long page, use the app to snap a picture and pull in the margin box to contain just the "legal sized" printed area, not the extra white area on page 2. Then it gives you the option to save the document as a pdf and email it anywhere.

I suppose even without the app, you could just take a picture, email it to yourself and re-save it as a pdf.

Aug 18 15 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Photoshop ---
Scan and (sharpen edges if needed)
Reduce image sizes on both by 25 to 30% (depending in margin available size
Select all needed text - and copy, for both images
Paste both images in turn into a new 8 x10 1/2 image - adjust positions as required
Print centered on 8 1/2 by 11 (margins will be automatic for printer because of difference in canvas size - paper size)

Aug 18 15 02:29 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Lawyers still use legal size paper?

All the legal work I have received from lawyers in the last 10 to 20 years has been on letter size paper.

Aug 19 15 03:10 pm Link