Forums > Critique > New photo shoot, feedback welcome!

Photographer

jkcphotos15

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hi everyone,

I have recently did a shoot with fellow MM model, Abdulla Khatib (# 3628064), love to hear some feedback to help me improve further! The select photos are all shot in natural light, with post touch-ups and corrections in Photoshop and Lightroom. Any comments regarding composition, lighting and post production would be greatly appreciated.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5809/20734585981_6ff84fe37e_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5708/20734543041_50507df194_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/700/20727516435_09d49d2ef2_b.jpg

If you are curious still, please check out the rest of my work on Flickr:
Flickr Albums

Thanks ahead!

Aug 20 15 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Kentus Photography

Detroit, Michigan, US

I am only one opinion, of course.  Take every opinion with a little doubt smile
I cannot comment on color, as I am color blind...see what I mean about doubt?

1st photo:  Full resolution (on flickr) it looks a little over sharpened, mostly apparent on the brick.  Rule of thirds may apply well here, such as moving the subject off-center (in this case he could be more to the right, leaving space in the direction he is looking...usually).  Good perspective and angle to the wall.  Natural lighting looks good to me.

2nd photo:  This also looks a little over-sharpened.  Noise reduction may help.  This is probably my favorite of the 3 photos.  One pet-peeve of mine is if you're going to show the sole of a shoe, make sure it is pristine, brand new.  I probably would have gotten rid of the carpet and walnuts, too, for simplicity.  Just personal preference.  The model pose is the most genuine in this one to me, he looks relaxed in his body and face.  The pant-leg rolled up is a nice touch (or was it just happenstance)?

3rd photo:  I don't know what this means exactly, but the first thing I looked at was his armpit, then the books, then his face.  I'd much rather see the lower half of his torso, with a body-length crop.  To me the books are distracting, but if you really like the clever title arrangement, maybe just reducing the saturation on the books might help the overall photo.

Hope this helps.  Great photos, and keep up the good work!

Kentus

Aug 20 15 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

jkcphotos15

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hi Kentus,

Thanks for the comments, they are exactly when I'm seeking!

I definitely start noticing my habit of going slightly overboard with the sharpening in post; so your note is a good reminder.

Re. 2nd photo: This is one of my favorite shot as well—the pant-leg rolled-up was an intentional detail, though I can't take credit for that, the model was quite fashioned savvy and the photo shoot definitely benefited from that!

Really appreciate the note on the props, they were improvised on set, which might explained why the randomness you felt in the final images—will definitely be more considerate in future shoots.

Looking forward to your feedback on my upcoming works!

Aug 21 15 11:11 am Link