Forums > General Industry > Editorial, Advertorial, or What?

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

If I'm not mistaken (and I never am...lol!), editorial portraits are the images that go along with an article or interview in a magazine or a website. 'Advertorials' are ads that look like 'news' but feature the word 'advertisement' somewhere on the page.

If I look through a magazine like 'Interview' and see an article/interview with someone, their editorial portrait is accompanied by a caption explaining where the wardrobe, styling, etc, come from, along with the credit to the photographer.

Is there a commercial or industry name for this type of image, or is it simply a type of editorial portrait? Just seems like in this day and age of everything having its own catchphrase or hook, that there would be a moniker for it.

Aug 24 15 07:44 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Branded content?

I have only ever heard it referred to as "branded content."

"Advertorial" sounds like an adversarial editorial. Like two different voices, arguing over something.

Aug 24 15 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

The whole "advertising disguised as an article", formatted to look like the rest of the content, is called "native advertisement" ... the phrase surprised me when I first read about it last week (I, too,, had always called it "advertorial").

Edit: they had a brief section on it in an online, marketing class from Wharton ... if you were curious about my source.

Aug 24 15 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Depends on who paid for the page space.
But still sounds like editorial albeit with a plug to
those that lent product,

Aug 24 15 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

An advertorial (advert) is a paid advertisement in the style of an article. It is not to be confused with content created by the magazine / newspaper.

Also it has to state, normally on small print, it is an advert.

Aug 24 15 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Editorials are features created by the magazine. The images used with those articles are editorial images, whether they feature items in the article discussion, or simply the image of the person being talked about.

Advertorials are simply disguised advertising made to look like, an editorial, when in fact, it is paid advertising, placed by an advertiser, with the magazine.

Aug 27 15 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

"you float like a feather"

Aug 27 15 06:10 pm Link