Forums > Model Colloquy > Any advice for an amateur model?

Model

katiemc

Carlsbad, California, US

Im an amateur model and would like to try and persue modeling and take it more seriously. I am a girl with curves, some-what fit. I am working on toning my body. I don't eat fast food or drink soda I only eat healthy food and it's been really helping me lose weight. I am awkward with my posing and shy in front of a camera and I am hoping to find photographers who will help me over come all of that and practice makes perfect to of course! I would appreciate any advice people are willing to give me. Thanks!

Aug 27 15 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

katiemc wrote:
Im an amateur model and would like to try and persue modeling and take it more seriously. I am a girl with curves, some-what fit. I am working on toning my body. I don't eat fast food or drink soda I only eat healthy food and it's been really helping me lose weight. I am awkward with my posing and shy in front of a camera and I am hoping to find photographers who will help me over come all of that and practice makes perfect to of course! I would appreciate any advice people are willing to give me. Thanks!

Hi couple of thoughts.

Be an amazing communicator.

Do yoga and dance, they will do fantastic things to your posing, grace, and confidence.

Good luck. smile

Aug 27 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Network like crazy.

Have fun.

Be reliable.

Be true to yourself

Work hard.

Enjoy the ride.

Aug 27 15 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

A good start would be to complete your stats - you have your height, bust, and hips as zero. These things are important (I guess if you are going to do nudes, it is not too important, but if you plan on wearing clothes at the photoshoot, it is very important)

As far as being 'awkward with my posing and shy in front of a camera'. Have a friend, someone you are comfortable with, take pictures with a camera (it could be a camera on a cellphone (this is just practice) while you go through poses. Then go over the images with her. Rinse, repeat.

Practice expressions in the mirror, and study photos in the genres you are interested in.

Aug 27 15 05:48 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've put together a resource for models (and photographers) that I think you might find helpful: http://advice.dekilah.com. There is a ton of information there and I'm planning a lot more.

But I'll add in some general advice here too:
- Be on time. If you are going to be at all late, let the photographer know via phone call or text as soon as you know
- Communicate. Communication is so very, very important and I think models that communicate well tend to succeed far more than those who don't.
- Learn your look. Figure out what your strong points are, recognize your flaws and how to minimize them, and find out what styles work best for you.
- Learn your market. Markets vary widely, so while you might be very successful in one place, you might struggle in others.
- Find a model network. If you can find a few other models in your market that you trust, you can go to them to ask about things and they can give you better insight on your market, who might be trouble, who is great to work with, etc.

I really could go on and on, but a lot of it can depend on your goals and such. Good luck!

Aug 28 15 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

katiemc wrote:

When it comes to getting over being nervous and shy I give the same advice to a lot of first time models, kind of off the wall but many that have tried it agreed it works  Do some nude modeling!  Sorry MM photographers but not for photographers (at least at first)!  Pose for a short pose sketch group at your local college or legitimate art venue.  Nothing will get you over being shy as posing nude in front of a whole room full of people!  You will find rather than the reaction of "Wow, she's nude"  everyone will be in a panic to get their sketches done for their grade!!  No one will notice the flaws in your body or poses. Perfect body or perfect poses won't be required.  Short pose sessions will give you a chance to trey different things on your own as well as the suggestions of the instructor.  You may be very nervous or even embarrassed at first but it will go away quickly!  By the end of your first session you should walk away with al lot more confidence in yourself knowing that you can do all the hard stuff, everything else should be easy!!

Remember!     “Life begins at the end of our comfort zone.”
                                  ― Neale Donald Walsch

Aug 28 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Wolf Photography

Toledo, Ohio, US

Please don't take offense, as about 95%-99% of all models here have this problem, but lose the resting "dead pan" face. Learn to show emotion. That matters more than anything else. You have a great body, great makeup and great posing, but if your expression is soulless it makes no difference, the photo will be bleh.

Your part is to show soul, emotion, humanity. The photographer's job is the same, but you have to give him something to work with. Check out Liz Ashley and you'll see what I mean. She's amazing.

Aug 28 15 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

2A Models

SOUTHWORTH, Washington, US

1) Develop a thick skin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy

2) Extinguish the self.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_%28Buddhism%29

3) Press on.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/ … n_Coolidge

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate, e buona fortuna...

Aug 29 15 04:23 am Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

Digitoxin wrote:
Network like crazy.

Have fun.

Be reliable.

Be true to yourself

Work hard.

Enjoy the ride.

Good advice

Sep 02 15 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Just remember once you are the subject - only one thing exist - you and the photographer. Anything going on around you as far as you are concerned - " does not exist" . It's about focusing  on what you are doing.

Sep 03 15 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Become very knowledgeable about the profession. Learn your craft and develop your skills. Avoid the scams and do your best to work with local professionals who you can check out and be sure of who they are, and what they do. If you have no good ones near you, then seek them out in the closest place to you. You should be looking for commercial photographers.

Sep 05 15 02:12 pm Link