Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Almost nothing compares to...

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Posing for a 9am-4pm portrait class with 9 students (oh the fumes), 2 Italians packing hurriedly and whisper-yelling at each other (with a little dog following them around of course), and a fly that decides it wants to sit on my lap no on my head no on my hand all day.

lol

What has been the most trying day you have had to deal with recently? I think this one takes the cake for the season in my case.

Sep 01 15 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Early this year I was asked to shoot a fashion spread involving 8 models. I went to the location a warehouse in the MPLS arts district at 7am got the lay of the land. Looked at the shoot list from the editor. I was shooting outfits. Eye glasses and shoes.  All of this is daunting for a fine art photographer.

I began shooting a 9 am and shot through 10pm, with only a half hour break through lunch.  I edited about 50 images including some like the cover that I had retouched.

As a twenty year diabetic this nearly did me in.  I was so soar and tired that I slept 14 hours after the shoot. the editor of the magazine gave rights to the images to each vendor to create in store promotional posters, and to use as advertising in other magazines.

Sep 01 15 05:53 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

yikes... that sounds like a nightmare all around.

yes any mainstream-ish stuff i've done involved showing up at the asscrack of dawn and waiting in a makeup chair, then on a couch, then in wardrobe, then on a couch, then shooting for 5 minutes, then waiting..... I highly respect anyone that excels in that environment, it's so not for me.

I like the pace of art classes, even today's hilarious one lol

Sep 01 15 06:08 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I made nori rolls with quinoa, cucumber and avocado because I am out of rice.

Quinoa isnt sticky enough to work in a hand roll, so it exploded all over me when I bit into it. There was grain and avocado everywhere.

Sep 01 15 06:15 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

You sound like me trying to cook... Except I usually just forget I'm cooking and come back to the kitchen an hour later to an almost-fire...

P.S. I'll give you a heads up who this is, I'm referring you to them lol

Sep 01 15 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

retired light reflector wrote:
What has been the most trying day you have had to deal with recently?

This is definitely off topic, but my oldest son called me yesterday morning, His wife was in labor and they needed a babysitter for my twin, 3-years-old granddaughters. A quick 1.5 hour drive north and watching them all day yielded a new model into this world, all 6lb 7oz, 19.5" of her. All are well and she and I will be doing a newborn shoot this weekend.

Sep 01 15 06:25 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

portraiturebyBrent wrote:

This is definitely off topic, but my oldest son called me yesterday morning, His wife was in labor and they needed a babysitter for my twin, 3-years-old granddaughters. A quick 1.5 hour drive north and watching them all day yielded a new model into this world, all 6lb 7oz, 19.5" of her. All are well and she and I will be doing a newborn shoot this weekend.

congrats!!!

Sep 01 15 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

My nephew came over to stay for a week. I'll spare you the gory details of the goings on and my desire to choke or beat the life out of him.

Sep 01 15 07:17 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

See this is why I'm not having kids, I like the returnable kind wink

Also, lol at the juxtaposition of the two posts.

Sep 01 15 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

The day I tried to fit photographing 8 buildings plus a hotel and 5 portraits into the span of 3 days really did me in. The entire project went a month, I ran non stop, and it took me about a month, month and a half to fully recover. Lots of sleeping, and even then, I was dragging for the rest of the year. There are days and there are days!!

Sep 01 15 07:38 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Stephoto Photography wrote:
The day I tried to fit photographing 8 buildings plus a hotel and 5 portraits into the span of 3 days really did me in. The entire project went a month, I ran non stop, and it took me about a month, month and a half to fully recover. Lots of sleeping, and even then, I was dragging for the rest of the year. There are days and there are days!!

Dude sad You're worse than me lol

Sep 01 15 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I did a shoot out in the desert and since I was a desert child, I told them the start time. They blew that by 4 hours. So I had to start in the middle of the day and the sun roasted my eyes. I shot for six hours-I did commercial, I did editorial, I did commercial for shoes, all the while my eyes were being sunburnt. I shot six models, about 4 looks on each or was it three. . .no it was really six. I had difficulty seeing. And seeing the LCD screen was so rare due to the glare and I didn't have a loupe because if we had started at the right time. .  .

I also have had my eyes burnt by aquarium lights, shooting under them for five hours.. . .

Sep 01 15 09:54 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

2 days of classes last week with someone who is on the other side of a lawsuit in the same class.  Sleeping on the ground outside for three nights.  Which wasn't so bad except for the beer party every night till 4 am, a few yards away.  And the broken zipper on the sleeping bag.  Still better than a hotel, I guess.

Nearly stepping on a rattlesnake yesterday.  It isn't the closest I have ever come to getting bit.  That honor belongs to a deceased cottonmouth in Florida.  But yesterdays rattlesnake was much bigger and I did not hurt it.  (Pictures in the rattlesnake anti venom thread and my port).  Fortunately, my dog wasn't with me, but I came home to complaints that he was howling like a wolf while I was gone.  (Dog in port).  The chance of running into a rattlesnake is really small, but I was going to use this spot for a shoot and now I don't think I should risk it.

Sep 02 15 07:12 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

be safe and check your shoes O.O

today's fun at my part-time "real" job- researching garments and tagging them all day. i love finding defunct brands with photos of a garment with original tags showing the MSRP so that I can calculate based off of that instead of whatever some ebay seller arbitrarily decides. at least no old men took their shirts off for me today, just a high dogwalker being extraordinarily talkative.

Sep 02 15 07:21 pm Link

Model

DiDi Majors

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

I drove 17 hours with my cat.

Sep 02 15 08:44 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

DiDi wrote:
I drove 17 hours with my cat.

yikes

I take it your cat does not enjoy the car...

Sep 02 15 09:17 pm Link

Model

DiDi Majors

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

retired light reflector wrote:
yikes

I take it your cat does not enjoy the car...

She travels really well.  She's not much of a conversationalist.

https://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj334/msmorina/Monkey/FullSizeRender_zpsg5vknfrt.jpg

And sometimes she is worse than a backseat driver.

https://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj334/msmorina/Monkey/IMG_7628_zpskgijs33n.jpg

Sep 03 15 10:07 am Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Oh. My. Goodness.
She looks like a sweetheart smile

Sep 04 15 09:52 pm Link