Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Better title - T-mobile / Experian hacked

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/01/technol … index.html

Mods: can you delete the other thread entitled "for those who don't follow the news" please.

Oct 01 15 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm not sure there's anyone around that hasn't gotten hacked yet. If there are, they will be in due course.

Oct 01 15 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

You'd think so unless the dunderheads that run these companies don't encrypt sensitive data and just leave it on servers in text files. Sony I'm looking at you. They are supposed to be a tech company and that's what happened to them. What knucklehead puts valueable data into plain text files?

Oct 01 15 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Noncho

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Experian was my previous company for a 2,5 years and they really wanted to get more from the USA market. But after such break it won't be easy...

Oct 02 15 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

John Photography wrote:
You'd think so unless the dunderheads that run these companies don't encrypt sensitive data and just leave it on servers in text files. Sony I'm looking at you. They are supposed to be a tech company and that's what happened to them. What knucklehead puts valueable data into plain text files?

Idiotic in these times to say the least.

In the mid 90s I used some software from a major brokerage that required I have a password to log into.
Just for fun I would drop the "exe" and other files into notepad just to see what code was inside.
To my great surprise my password was sitting in there unencrypted.

Oct 02 15 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Scottrade too -- for about the last 2 years

Five million people exposed in Scottrade brokerage hack
Biz only found out when the FBI came calling
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/02 … customers/

Oct 02 15 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
Idiotic in these times to say the least.

In the mid 90s I used some software from a major brokerage that required I have a password to log into.
Just for fun I would drop the "exe" and other files into notepad just to see what code was inside.
To my great surprise my password was sitting in there unencrypted.

Wasn't aware there was ever a time you could open a binary file into an editor and see the source code.

Oct 02 15 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Roy Hubbard wrote:

Wasn't aware there was ever a time you could open a binary file into an editor and see the source code.

Try it.  Drop in a word or excel file into notepad and see what's inside.
It's not a hex reader but sometimes you can see human readable text.

Oct 03 15 07:40 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Noncho wrote:
Experian was my previous company for a 2,5 years and they really wanted to get more from the USA market. But after such break it won't be easy...

They offer a credit/ID theft protection service . That doesn't bode well.

Oct 03 15 08:10 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

John Photography wrote:

Look at the Office of Management and Budget. Over 30 million current and former government employees compromised including those working in national security with secret and above clearances.

Oct 03 15 08:15 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Don't forget Adobe getting hacked either.  Then they wanted to have everyone change their Adobe account passwords, and shortly thereafter I got a new VISA card too.  Years ago they had a PS file that could be opened in a text editor and you could see the banned passwords and some of the good ones too for Photoshop.  Bad idea.

I know some smaller businesses I deal with only keep a paper stub for a credit card transaction with only the last four digits rather than storing it on their computer.  Seems a better idea as computers really are not that secure and seem to get hacked daily, encryption or not.  I went to a presentation at the college on computer issues and the guy said they can just backdoor in and stare at the same (now un-encrypted) screen as though they were an employee and get what they need, sort of a remote link when they fix your computer online.  So much for whatever encryption.

Fwiw, my last insurance premium added on automatically some cyber-coverage for $200.  I gather the banks are trying to distance themselves a bit and make the businesses carry insurance against cyber-fraud or whatever they want to call it for online financial transactions.

Oct 03 15 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

The stolen information is already for sale --

Going Once, Going Twice: Stolen Data Being Sold on the Dark Web
http://sputniknews.com/europe/20151005/ … k-web.html

"the threat posed by this latest hack attack is the potential for the personal data to be cross-referenced with other data sets,"
"it is highly likely that the stolen data is already being cross referenced with other records"
"Each breach adds more confidence in these data sets and gives them more value"

Oct 05 15 01:31 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

If they would just track the hackers and do a few drone strikes on them.

Oct 05 15 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Consumers should be able to sue the companies and government agencies that put their credit in danger.

No one is accountable.

Where are the trial lawyers when you need them? Oh yeah, they are too busy suing the vaginal mesh companies.

Oct 05 15 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

ernst tischler wrote:
If they would just track the hackers and do a few drone strikes on them.

But that would never happen. They're not muslims

Oct 07 15 06:56 pm Link