Forums > Critique > I did an eye candy/glamour spread. Feedback?

Model

kayla m

Brooklyn, New York, US

I did my first major magazine spread with Implicit Magazine. I am so excited about them! I would love to hear feedback and suggestions for the future because I want to do more boudoir/sexy themed shoots. I know I am petite but feel like there is a niche for smaller women lol.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 01 15 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Majerski

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Nice series of images for your magazine work-think they went a little overboard with the photoshopping,but you look great.Nice to see your success in being published.Also who says there is no market for lingerie images of petites? Keep at girl and continued good luck.

Oct 02 15 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

Excellent images. All the best!

Oct 02 15 07:47 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I suggest you come to Florida, and shoot with me immediately  .  .  .  wink  Beautifully done  .  .  .

SOS

Oct 02 15 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Platinum Images 1

Cleveland, Ohio, US

B E A U T I F U L......!!!!

Oct 02 15 09:49 am Link

Model

kayla m

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thanks everyone!

Oct 02 15 12:44 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm going to give you a good critique...
The first two images are good.  They are the ones you should keep. 
Here is what is wrong with the other two.
The third image, from the angle, makes your legs look like they are about six inches long.  Being just over 5 feet, you need to be conscious that you are elongating, and not making your body shorter.  Your legs look long and lean in the first picture, because you are angling them to show length.  In the third photo, your knees are pointed toward the camera, and your feet are pointed away, making them look even shorter than they are naturally.

The fourth image has a really unprofessional looking, unfinished border around it.  That alone ruins the photo.  Otherwise, it's good except for one thing.  Your eyes are too far over to make for a good photo.  It's what we call 'flashing whites'.  Where there is too much of the white part of your eye showing.  If you brought your gaze a little more towards the camera, it would have made it work a lot better. 

Hope this helps!

Oct 02 15 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

I agree with Blaire.  I noticed the same things.

But keep at it.  You're doing great!

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Oct 02 15 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

I noticed in your data that your waist is 10" larger than your hips.  Am I seeing things?

Oct 03 15 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

Fortunately, we can see that it's not true.

Oct 06 15 10:20 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Just gonna give you first reaction feedback.  Here's what I think:

NUMBER 1
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150926/18/560748a59d983_m.jpg

Great.  If I had to be picky though I would say that your left hand looks a little webbed or something because of the position and how you have it spread.  It almost looks fake.  My big nit pick is the arm tat though because it's neither dark enough to make an impact or light enough to not matter.  It's just washed out and isn't adding anything visually, in my opinion.  Oh, and I'm not a fan of all that hair on your left shoulder.  Whoever retouched you should've taken that out for sure.  Everything else looks so clean and them boom.

NUMBER 2
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150926/18/56074852949bc_m.jpg

You look good because you are good looking obviously but I dunno, it doesn't do much for me.  The pose is kind of strange because of the arm and then the other arm is up somewhere but hidden which is odd too.  Your face is flirty but more of a smirk would've helped.  The flaw here is the pose though.  I just don't understand it.  You're not even holding your hair or interacting with it really.  It's almost like your arm is just an arm chair for your hair to lay on.

NUMBER 3
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150926/18/56074831aca16_m.jpg

If just a few things changed I would be into it.  Your feet curled up bug me a bit.  Your two fingers showing I'm unsure about.  I almost want to see more of that hand.  Neither of these things are THAT big of a deal but what is a big deal is the quality of the shot.  Like what the hell happened?  The other ones so far have been sharp and in focus and this is just totally off.  I get that you look good in it but if the quality is bad it's all over.  Also, your legs look really short because of the angle and how your legs are posed.  I would've maybe stretched them out a bit more to elongate them.

NUMBER 4
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150926/18/5607477bbce39_m.jpg

You're too stiff and come across as unsure.  Also, the hair is getting a bit overwhelming here.  It's all too much up in the front.  Maybe off to one side would've been better.  But yeah you are just too dead on to the camera and your arms are too stiff for this to work.  Don't get me wrong, dead on to the camera can look good, but when you introduce stiffness it gets to be too much sometimes.

And that's all I have to say.  Overall these are very good when I think about all the ModelMayhem pictures I have seen.  For the most part they are clean and done well enough to show your potential.  Yes there are issues, at least in my opinion, but it's not the end of the world or anything.  If i were you I would just pick the best one and hide the rest for now.  That or combine two into one picture.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Oct 06 15 02:46 pm Link