Forums > General Industry > Age range for new and upcoming models

Model

Emily Carpenter

London, England, United Kingdom

What age do clients look for when hiring models through an agency? Do most clients want to book someone who is 16-19 years of age simply because of their age and youthful look? Or do some clients not mind booking someone who is ages 20-22 but their look could pass for someone who is ages 17-19? I am 21 myself and I only just had the opportunity to start in the industry within the last year. Any answers from industry professionals are much appreciated!

Oct 02 15 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

It depends on the job.  Runway tends to be younger and skinny. Catalog and print ads, and fashion editorial tend to use 20 something and up and a more "normal" build.    For alcoholic beverage ads in the U.S. it is almost a requirement to over 25 (even with a 21 drinking age).  Same with much of the talent on television commercials.

Do the faces in Vogue look like 16yrs ?

Look up the bios of some successful models and see what they were doing and when. There is no "standard" career.

examples
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricia_Helfer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cindy_Crawford
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dita_Von_Teese
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elle_Macpherson

Oct 02 15 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

The President of Italy was admonished for dating a 16 year old runway model.  Here the age for modelling is a little older.  I think partly because it is hard to find 16 year olds that are 5'6" and the youthfulness of 30 year old asian women.

Oct 02 15 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Smaller Local Fashion Agenices try to find new talent in the 14 to 17 year old range and develop them in the hopes that larger Agencies will pick them up ( of course the mother agency often continues to make a commission )

Oct 02 15 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Its easier to make younger women look older but difficult to make older women look younger.   I was working with a Caucasian model recently.   She is under 25 but I could see crows feet developing and smile lines.   Agencies booking fashion tend to want models under 21 because its what their clients tend to ask for.   Commercial modeling is different.   Age isn't a factor.   OP if fashion modeling is something you want to do approach agencies NOW.   This is where you want to be:   http://worldmastercardfashionweek.com/

Oct 02 15 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Its easier to make younger women look older but difficult to make older women look younger.   I was working with a Caucasian model recently.   She is under 25 but I could see crows feet developing and smile lines.   Agencies booking fashion tend to want models under 21 because its what their clients tend to ask for.   Commercial modeling is different.   Age isn't a factor.   OP if fashion modeling is something you want to do approach agencies NOW.   This is where you want to be:   http://worldmastercardfashionweek.com/

I agree with Tony - If Toronto is still doing castings for thier Fashion Week You should make every effort to become involved , You could get noticed and signed as a result ( stranger things have happened )

Oct 03 15 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Peter House

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

14-18

Oct 03 15 04:55 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

Major agencies start development from 14 and the cut off for most of them taking on new models is 21-22. Established models can of course work past that but that's just their preference. In my experience, if they think the look is right they have no problem changing the age on a model's profile. But there's no point lying to your agency - if you have the look they'll take you on. I was still joining new agencies at 24 but that was because I had a portfolio and a history of booking work, I don't think they would have taken me on without that at that age.

Commercial models can be older (and larger, and a bit shorter) than fashion but the agencies tend to have the same sort of rules on their sites anyway.

In my experience, again, working models online tend to skew older and shorter than agencies standards and usually have to book nude work if they're going to make a go of doing it full-time.

Also, I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking super models are a good way to look at the modelling industry; Kate Moss is short, Cindy Crawford is old, etc. If they walked into modelling agencies now with no experience and no history of modelling it's unlikely they'd be signed. There's a point when they stop being a model and they start being a celebrity - that's when the rule book changes for them. It doesn't mean it changes for anybody else really.

Oct 03 15 05:38 am Link

Photographer

chiamac

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

I just did headshots for a actress who has a role playing a teen. Smile and personality/look go a lot longer for age than actual age - and makeup can cover up a lot.

As far as commercial vs fashion modeling, most of the industry we're going to be exposed to outside of NYC and LA is going to be run of the mill regular commercial work that you're going to see in everyday products, ads, and magazines. Do you think the fishing magazines or golf magazines are hiring young skinny fashion models?

Oct 04 15 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

chiamac wrote:

I just did headshots for a actress who has a role playing a teen. Smile and personality/look go a lot longer for age than actual age - and makeup can cover up a lot.

As far as commercial vs fashion modeling, most of the industry we're going to be exposed to outside of NYC and LA is going to be run of the mill regular commercial work that you're going to see in everyday products, ads, and magazines. Do you think the fishing magazines or golf magazines are hiring young skinny fashion models?

Fashion agencies tend to start very young as a member noted 14 or so.    I have no ideal how nice the women seen in Vogue, W, Elle or Harpers are.   A great smile or personality may count as a actress but for models it is PRIMARILY your look that is important.   Curious that you would argue that point, Andrew.   As for fishing and golf magazines.   Do they use a lot of female models?   I don't golf or fish or read those magazines so I wouldn't know.   However they and lifestyle publications as well as most of what is shot is commercial and I think I said age isn't as much of a factor and I tailored my response to the OP.   A look at what she is modeling doesn't show her golfing or fishing or hunting.

Oct 04 15 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Age range is normally from 16 - about 25. The look, and experience, are the most important criteria, which impact model selection.

Oct 12 15 12:39 pm Link