Forums > Critique > Looking for the good,bad and ugly

Photographer

the_w_photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I have been shooting PT for 2 years now and could use feedback how to get better or encouragement on what I am doing right. Thanks in advance!

Oct 12 15 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mike McGee Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I like the variety of your portfolio.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151017/10/5622899698263_m.jpg

For the image above, I enjoy the color palette and shallow depth of field. Due to the shallow depth of field, you may want to ensure that you have rock solid focus on her eye. It appears that you have slight front-focusing on this lens and her eye is a bit soft and the button on her jeans might be the focus depth. But again, I enjoy the setting and the railroad tracks in the distance.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150920/10/55feeb4021ca8_m.jpg

For this image above, the setting and model are beautiful. You captured her eyes and facial expression beautifully. I would perhaps adjust the models front hand next time to make it more graceful. Her hand position is forced and accentuate her veins. This draws my eyes to this but again, I believe your lens has a bit of front focusing that is not nailing focus on the model's eyes. Her eyes appear softer than the her front wrist which is in focus. But she is gorgeous and you still have a beautiful image.

As a fellow photographer there are AF fine tune adjustments to make to your camera body/lens system if the AF is front focusing quite a bit. (I had to adjust mine as well for my 50mm lens.)

I enjoyed your portfolio and I hope most comments may have assisted you.

Oct 18 15 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The tracks image does not work for me for the sake of one line, that runs through her head and eyes and cut the top of her head off.
Azzuro image I agree the right hand needs to be better placed.
I noticed a few times you crop at the elbow,, not a good place to crop. Lastly watch the models pose that are hip flat to the camera make the girls look much bigger then they are really.

As for feedback how to get better or encouragement, it simple,, the more you know and learn the better off you'll be... 2 years PT you are doing great just do more of it all; learning, shooting, reading, practicing, trying new things, looking at others work,, all of it... Your on the road, only you can take you off of it....

Oct 19 15 12:02 am Link

Photographer

the_w_photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Thanks so much for the feedback! Points noted!

Oct 19 15 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

the_w_photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Any suggestions on the front focus issue? I do alot of focus and recompose at large apertures (2.8) and I think when I lock focus and recompose im moving off plane.

Oct 19 15 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mike McGee Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Azzano X Photography wrote:
Any suggestions on the front focus issue? I do alot of focus and recompose at large apertures (2.8) and I think when I lock focus and recompose im moving off plane.

Yes, you can first print out a clean chart here:
http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

Then, you use the AF Fine tune settings on your camera body to compensate for any front focusing issues that may be attributed to that particular lens/sensor combo, after you have tested out some sample images to confirm you have a front focusing issue. Just print out the chart and place it flat on the floor. Then setup your camera on a tripod with the lens in question, and then autofocus for the center bar at your widest aperture. You can then see if it's nailing focus or if some fine tuning may be required.

I'm on a Nikon system, but the AF fine tuning is simple.
I would also confirm that you're using a single servo focusing point.

Hope this helps.

Oct 19 15 05:32 pm Link