Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > constructive criticism on my port

Retoucher

REDRetouch

Sacramento, California, US

I've recently just started back trying to rebuild my port and get some work
and I'd like some constructive criticism on my edits and what I should change or tweak on my profile, thanks in advance for all and any advice you guys have!big_smile

Oct 13 15 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

overall, I like what you have done, but would like to concentrate on this one
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151015/00/561f597a962b5_m.jpg
this is quite good in the retouching, but I am not keen on the color palette you have chosen,
that's just me though.

what I think you should add a few styles to show more versatility, like full body fashion,
pinup and rugged male looks.

Oct 15 15 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Way too much smoothing and added noise-for-texture for my taste.  The skin and eyes do not look natural at all.  This is a clean beauty shot.  Beauty is essentially high-end product photography, and should be treated as such.  For example, you don't want to remove pores, you want near perfect pores - but they should still look like skin.  You don't want illustrative eyes, you wan't near perfect eyes. 

And then when you get there, you have to decide how much imperfection to allow back in to keep a sense of realism.  This is more feel than look.

Lastly, are you working on a calibrated system?  Your color's a pretty wonky, especially the skin tones, which are critical in beauty retouching.

Oct 16 15 08:12 am Link

Retoucher

REDRetouch

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
Way too much smoothing and added noise-for-texture for my taste.  The skin and eyes do not look natural at all.  This is a clean beauty shot.  Beauty is essentially high-end product photography, and should be treated as such.  For example, you don't want to remove pores, you want near perfect pores - but they should still look like skin.  You don't want illustrative eyes, you wan't near perfect eyes. 

And then when you get there, you have to decide how much imperfection to allow back in to keep a sense of realism.  This is more feel than look.

Lastly, are you working on a calibrated system?  Your color's a pretty wonky, especially the skin tones, which are critical in beauty retouching.

Which photos are you referring to?
and shockingly enough lol I don't use the noise technique for any photos that I retouch and same for blurring.
the colors may be wonky because I had to decrease the quality and size of them for them to be uploaded, I'm trying to figure out how to upload and keep a great quality

Oct 16 15 03:18 pm Link

Retoucher

REDRetouch

Motordrive Photography wrote:
overall, I like what you have done, but would like to concentrate on this one
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151015/00/561f597a962b5_m.jpg
this is quite good in the retouching, but I am not keen on the color palette you have chosen,
that's just me though.

what I think you should add a few styles to show more versatility, like full body fashion,
pinup and rugged male looks.

I'm not very happy with the way it uploaded either, The way the colors look BEFORE I uploaded that were more natural but thank you so much for the tips! I'm definitely going to work on that and getting different styles of photos

Oct 16 15 03:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

London, England, United Kingdom

https://i.imgur.com/goaFT59.jpg

File>Save for Web

Oct 16 15 09:56 pm Link

Retoucher

REDRetouch

Christian Bela wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/goaFT59.jpg

File>Save for Web

OMG Thank you so much!

Oct 17 15 01:37 am Link

Retoucher

Kami Fore

Los Angeles, California, US

I think your focus should be on preserving skin and not just cloning or painting over it excessively to make it seem 'smooth'. Just stick to d&b and using the heal/clone tool to fix issues but not rely on them as enormous problem solves to replace d&b because your skin looks really unrealistic and forced and obviously edited.

Retouching ain't about making skin smooth and perfect seeming. Biggest misconception ever on this forum. I think your portfolio would benefit from putting things in there that look as if you studied your photos as actual photographs rather than 'retouch' projects where you want them to look the sleakest.

Oct 19 15 10:42 am Link

Retoucher

REDRetouch

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the help and I'm just going to take a step back altogether and just completely rebuild my port, Thanks again so much for the help!

Oct 19 15 05:58 pm Link