Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Looking for the good,bad and ugly on my portfolio

Photographer

the_w_photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I'm in my 2nd year and looking for pointers on hot to get better or what I am doing correct. Thanks!

Oct 17 15 06:47 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The good You have a great command of lighting. Even on the images I don't personally love there's no denying that you're excellent at making sure the lighting is flattering for both the model and the mood.

The bad The overall styling of the models (hair, make-up and wardrobe) in some of your images comes off as flat or non-existent. For example consider the following images:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39494143
This shot isn't awful by any means but the fact that the model's bra strap blocks part of the tattoo on her shoulder is distracting. Had her strap been deliberately placed so it was off her shoulder the shot would have been stronger.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150920/10/55feeb4021ca8_m.jpg
In this image the models hair is distracting. When a models hair is straight and flat, wisps around her shoulder look messy and unkempt.

Truthfully these are issues that are easily fixed by having additional eyes on set e.g. hiring hairstylists etc. or making sure you have an assistant looking out for issues.

Also be mindful of the images you're marking as Mature. There's nothing in any of these images that makes me think they should have an "M" label:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39494257
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 7#39494143
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 7#39493430

The ugly In looking at you're images I'm not sure what kind of photographer you are or what kind you're striving to be because there are numerous styles represented. I'd either separate your shots into galleries or hone in on a single style.

I hope this helps.

Oct 18 15 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

the_w_photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Thanks a ton for the feedback. Point taken on have a second set of eyes. At moment my budget is going into hiring model and studio time. Ill try and be more aware of "little things" moving forward.

Also, I still am discovering my style thus the different looks. Much appreciated!

Oct 19 15 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

yoda1

Seattle, Washington, US

I learned some stuff from that feedback too.  Good info!

Oct 19 15 08:55 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Azzano X Photography wrote:
Thanks a ton for the feedback. Point taken on have a second set of eyes. At moment my budget is going into hiring model and studio time. Ill try and be more aware of "little things" moving forward.

Also, I still am discovering my style thus the different looks. Much appreciated!

You're very welcome.

A good way to get a second set of eyes on a budget is to work on a TF* basis with new talent, MUAs, hairstylists and wardrobe stylists all want their work to look good even when they're first starting out and since your overall image quality is good you should have little issue finding people willing to work with you, especially if you're willing to collaborate on concepts.

Oct 19 15 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

The one with her in green seldom works for me. I would personally make it more of a glamour shot. Have her face camera, stand up tall to stretch her height including her neck, chin slightly down, close eyes and put one hand on each side of her face at different heights - perhaps on one side hands even with lips , other side hands closer to eyes and have the ends of the fingers of each hand curving downward. ( profile only shows).This would emphasize eyes and lips . "Dolly up" the eyes and lips with makeup. Have her lips barely open. Right now with her lips positioned to look like she is frowning,and overly tilted head and hand directly against it there is no central massage - unless your are advertising medication for a migrane headache.

Oct 25 15 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I would change the expression also of the one of her in front of the brick wall--looking over her shoulder to the camera. Sgain I would tell her to just barely open her lips enough that it can be detected on the image. For a better face assign the modrl a "task"-- try these two. One - try having her stare directly " inside of" the barrel of the lens and try to detect what is going on. Just "as she begins"to become focused"'on the lens - take the shot. Task two- if that does not work have her "count" something behind or near you( the photographer). If there are more bricks --- occupy her mind with counting how many bricks have the corners chipped off or how many seem to have a slightly tanish color tone. Snap the picture as she is just beginning to concentrate. -- Long maroon dress-- great separation of her far arm from body. Nice Lower back curve.

Oct 26 15 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Krpphoto

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I think the one of the model in black lingerie against the wall is pretty sexy/ crossed legs , hair over one one side of face, the sexy outfit with only the eyes toward viewer// that's good.

Oct 26 15 03:11 am Link