Forums > Critique > Not shooting landscapes anymore...

Photographer

The Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

First post, so hi everyone! New to shooting people. Have stayed in the safe zone of photographing nature for the last ten years and am looking to challenge myself and learn new things. Would love feedback on portfolio so far. Have only done two shoots so variety is minimal, but tried to keep it as artistic as possible. Thanks in advance.

Oct 23 15 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Mike McGee Photography

M T Photo wrote:
First post, so hi everyone! New to shooting people. Have stayed in the safe zone of photographing nature for the last ten years and am looking to challenge myself and learn new things. Would love feedback on portfolio so far. Have only done two shoots so variety is minimal, but tried to keep it as artistic as possible. Thanks in advance.

M T, first off I want to welcome you to MM (even though I'm new myself) and kudos to you for stepping outside your comfort zone and doing artistic shots! I'm near you as well, and also recently started shooting models instead of the east bay hills. smile

I looked at your portfolio, and you have some STUNNING artistic images. Really like the way you use depth of field and softness to create a mood. Nice work, indeed.

My personal favorite from your collection is this shot:

18+? (NSFW?)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39277343

I really enjoy the rustic color palette here, and the model's pose works well to coincide with her wardrobe and setting. The rust colored tint to the image really defines the mood as well. Excellent work, and again, welcome!

Oct 23 15 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

The Photographer

Thank you for the feedback! We have some beautiful landscapes in the Bay Area, and I am hoping to find the perfect marriage of old and new passion. Looking forward to following your portfolio for location and composition ideas. I have been on the hunt for abandoned/derelict locations that are still safe and lacking possibility of incarceration for trespassing. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Oct 25 15 04:34 am Link

Photographer

svenler

San Diego, California, US

It's good to see a newbie model photographer who shoots conceptually instead of just dropping a naked woman in front of some random lights. Your technique will get better as you shoot more and find better angles.

My biggest complaints about your work at this stage are sharpness and exposure. Sharpness might be related to the lens, but might also be a post-production issue. Exposure is something you can fix in post-production to some degree.

Sven

Oct 26 15 12:00 pm Link