Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hurricane Patricia

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

My God, Absolutely THE nightmare scenario for the hurricane center, a "bomb "(what a rapidly explosive developing storm is called )goes off right off the coast within 12 to 24 hours of land fall, meaning storm hits at peak strength with little if any weakening..

NOT surprising this happened in a major el nino year,water is near 90 degrees where it exploded..

Here is hoping everyone had time to evacuate

Oct 23 15 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Inside the Eye of a Hurricane (Huracán) Patricia | Oct 23, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRArAZfWGp8

Oct 23 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

As a California native, I wasnt prepared for what real "big" weather looked and felt like, I had been thru some rain storms, and while visiting in Oklahoma/Arkansas I had been on the fringes of a couple small tornadoes... Then, the Air Force sent me to far off lands with VERY uncivilized storms... In a couple years I went thru 3 large storms, typhoons in the Philippines, Guam and Okinawa. Equivalent to a category 3, with the one in Guam "almost" a 4.

I cant imagine a cat 5 storm.  I saw things in Guam that were hard to believe. A 2 by 4 driven thru a cinder block wall., vehicles blown over in parking lots, still in neat (but toppled) rows.

My prayers are with the folks in Mexico. The coastal region is getting hit hard. If there is "any" saving  grace in this, the terrain will "help" dissipate  the storm's energy... But the flooding will be horrific.

Send those folks your good thoughts, they will be needing them.

Oct 23 15 09:39 pm Link

Oct 24 15 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

It looks like it hit the best poSibley spot it could have,under the circumstances, a sparsely populated areas on the coast that mostly was a nature peeserve,and being that despite the impressive cloud shield,the actual hurricane was tightly wound and the really bad winds were confined to an area only 15 miles out from the eye wall (meaning 30 miles total plus eye diameter)

However, what I'm afraid we will see is the rains and secondary effects cause much more damage and possee casualties in Mexico, and even in Texas as this will be a very rare back door storm that will hit west and central Texas ,some places in the west Texas areas getting a 500 year Rain event (places that are lucky to get 5 or 6 inches of rain a year getting 12 plus in one day)...

Oct 24 15 11:56 am Link