Forums > Critique > New to MM. Feedback please...

Model

Marina_D

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I just joined MM. I'd like to explore modeling and see if I have any talent.

I'm completely new and a bit at a loss as regards which areas might worth for me pursuing.

Would you mind taking a look at my profile and let me know your honest thoughts?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/3794751

Thank you so much for all your input.

Oct 26 15 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Craig M Murray

Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Hi Marina

So as a photographer I like to start by explaining this.

In almost every case of a bad shot it is the photographers fault.  The model may not know how to pose, (although she should learn as best she can) so then you tell her how to pose.

Poses 1 & 2 you are squished, shortened.  Shortened is not generally what they are looking for in models.  Long lines, graceful curves, good shapes.  If you are wearing a top designed to accentuate your breasts, then accentuate them, don't hang modesty hair in front wink

3.  Right, calling for a cab shot, ok lets do this,
arm outstretched, now, crop off her hand, check!
large glasses to hide half of face, check!
crop off half her body, check!
ooh..oooh, I have an idea, let's crop the jacket so it isn't even a full feature.  Jenkins, you're a genius!
aaand, coat closed and pulled over so we have no sense of what's underneath.

4. A little too much like a shot done in a department store photo place.  Now this one is more sort of focused on you, but again, the photog should have noticed and corrected.  In this pose, the dangling earrings distract because one cuts across your neck, the other your arm.  Makeup, professional work is all the difference.  Now I shoot for a film studio and am myself new to MM so I don't have much up, but I have enclosed a link to a girl i shot the other day, lovely work on the eyes.  Your expression.  Ok.  Think of something, a great shag, a sexy guy or girl, parachuting, anything to take it from being an expression to being an emotion.  You can't "gimme a sexy look" or "look happy"  You have to think these things and they will translate to your eyes.  Once the emotion is in your eyes, it is on your face.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39490536

5.  See how you are leaning forward towards the lens.  This is shortening your torso.  Bad!  Bad model!  No making squishy body! hehehe.aaaaaaaaaaaaand you have no legs, poor girl she is, eaten by wild budgerigars they were when she was a wee lassie.  Glasses cutting your face in half.  Props should be used to accentuate a thing or sell a thing

6.  Ooooh back on the street, Great, coats not cut off.  Wonderful, slightly open to reveal outfit underneath, could be more open, legs cut off at thighs...wait...hold on....Jenkins, get in here and bring that walrus tusk, I am going to stab you to death for taking that shot!
See, if you were selling coats as part of an ad, then sure, cut off the legs to keep the focus on the product, but you are selling you.

So in almost all of these the largest issue has been the shot, not the shotted lol

The street scenes are a play, not a photo.  You are the high powered sexy businesswoman rushing off to make your billion dollar deals and you just happen to be photographed.  Coat open, long legs stretching out, you are a woman on the go with her professional makeup and kick-ass style she is not to be trifled with.

any of this helps?

C

Oct 26 15 06:24 am Link

Model

Marina_D

Thank you so much Craig for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply.

I'll take all your comments on board and work to elongate my posture and bring more emotion to my face.

As a photographer, what would be your best advice to a new model?

Oct 26 15 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Marina_M wrote:

Look at other models' portfolios.  Look at poses and facial expressions.  Then practice, practice, practice.  A mirror can be your best friend.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Oct 26 15 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Craig M Murray

Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Marina_M wrote:
Thank you so much Craig for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply.
I'll take all your comments on board and work to elongate my posture and bring more emotion to my face.

1.  Don't be a jerk, don't be unprofessional.  Remember that the photographers, makeup artists, gaffers, donut delivery guys are all professionals in their own way.  I could not tell you how many pretty girls I know who have burned themselves out of modelling because they act as if the sun shines out of their bums.  If you have a shoot, be on time, be prepared, be well rested and well hydrated so you look your best.  A night upon the tiles is hell on the face.

2.  Build your portfolio.  Get hundreds and hundreds of shots and looks and variation.  There are a million of TFDC TFP photographers (trade for digital copy or trade for print) so you do not need to go broke trying to get shots.  Let's say you see 10 photographers and each does 100 shots and you get 3 or 4 amazing ones you love.  Well that's a portfolio of 30 or 40 awesome shots you walked away with.

3.  Remember you are the whole package in your shots.  Clothes, pose, makeup, jewelry, hair, shoe polish.everything has to come together.

4.  In the best of all worlds, if you find a hair/makeup person who wants to promote themselves, and a photographer who wants to expand their portfolio, then you have a threesome made in heaven, just without the sex (normally)  You spend a day in studio doing glamour, basic, weird, outlandish looks and outfits and you all come away with pics you can use.

5.  remember the whole thing is all joined together.  don't be a "I'm pretty, look at my arse, there I'm done"  learn all you can, posing, staring, emoting, what different styles of pictures there are, different places to be shot, what lighting does what.  You don't have to be an expert in everything but get a bit of knowledge in everything so you can turn and say "I want to do some noir shoots and maybe some high key as well"

6.  build your portfolio and if a photographer isn't working for what you want, tell them, work with them, and if still no, be polite and move on

7.  THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!!!!!!!  I WILL WAIT SO YOU CAN GET A PEN AND WRITE IT ALL DOWN
When you are making boatloads fo cash you have to send me 3% off the top for being your genius mentor lol

Oct 26 15 09:34 am Link

Model

Marina_D

Thanks Nor-Cal for your reply. I'll definitely practice. I need to improve and still have a long way to go...

@Craig: I'll certainly remember you, hardly think I'll be making boatloads of cash, but I'll surely remember you. Thank you smile

Oct 26 15 03:30 pm Link