Forums > Critique > Developing a Winning Look

Model

Anna_Hudson

Dallas, Texas, US

Hello Everyone!

Working on developing a stellar portfolio, I would really appreciate any feedback, tips, or critiques, from more experienced models/photographers etc. Also, what are the best questions to ask on MM when there is potential interest to work with someone?

Critiques can be challenging to hear but besides simply practicing, I believe there is really no better way to improve!

Oct 28 15 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Anna_Hudson wrote:
...Working on developing a stellar portfolio, I would really appreciate any feedback, tips

Anna, first and foremost work with a full team... i.e. hair stylist, makeup artist, wardrobe stylist... only then are you likely to realize your full potential... without a full team there is little chance of creating breathtaking imagery... the devil is in the details and without team synergy you'll not see a return on your time invested on set...

Anna_Hudson wrote:
what are the best questions to ask on MM when there is potential interest to work with someone?

Again, inquire if a full team is being provided for the session, and if so who are it's members... Anna at the commercial level a Call Sheet is used which enumerates all relevant details about a shoot... and at the upper echelon of the industry an agency "voucher" is carried by the model which explicitly quantify precisely what the model is being hired for... 

Yes there are commercial models on Mayhem and yes there are agency models on Mayhem... albeit most agencies request that models remove their Mayhem Profiles for obvious reasons...   

Anna_Hudson wrote:
Critique?

In my minds eye only your YUMS tear warrants being in your book...  work on your repertoire.... ELLE, VOGUE etc are excellent sources to study and learn pose dynamics from... trust that this makes sense...

Food for thought... I model's headshot is by far his/her most important image... agency bookers, casting directors, art directors, fashion designers will invariable identify you with your headshot...  Not see a stellar headshot in your book... I would move forward with this task immediately... please be certain to enlist a full team for this most important image... let the MUA know it's for your headshot thus a "clean beauty" look...  wardrobe should be simple, no bright colors... a white blouse is ideal... limit jewelry to ear decor only... hope this makes sense...

btw, you have gorgeous porcelain skin tone and fabulous blonde tresses... albeit might hit the gym a lit' though to tone and shape if you're heading into catalog swimwear in Honolulu... 

Hope this helps
All the best on your journey...

Oct 28 15 11:20 am Link

Model

Anna_Hudson

Dallas, Texas, US

Wonderful advice and exactly what I needed! Thank you so much Thomas!

Oct 28 15 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Majerski

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

First I'd change the photo you have for an avatar-kind of weak.The series in the white one piece swimwear/bodysuit are your best samples.Look to get more shoots under your belt with talented photographers whose work you like.Good Luck!!!

Oct 28 15 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Anna_Hudson wrote:
...Working on developing a stellar portfolio, I would really appreciate any feedback, tips

Anna, first and foremost work with a full team... i.e. hair stylist, makeup artist, wardrobe stylist... only then are you likely to realize your full potential... without a full team there is little chance of creating breathtaking imagery... the devil is in the details and without team synergy you'll not see a return on your time invested on set...

Anna_Hudson wrote:
what are the best questions to ask on MM when there is potential interest to work with someone?

Again, inquire if a full team is being provided for the session, and if so who are it's members... Anna at the commercial level a Call Sheet is used which enumerates all relevant details about a shoot... and at the upper echelon of the industry an agency "voucher" is carried by the model which explicitly quantify precisely what the model is being hired for... 

Yes there are commercial models on Mayhem and yes there are agency models on Mayhem... albeit most agencies request that models remove their Mayhem Profiles for obvious reasons...   

In my minds eye only your YUMS tear warrants being in your book...  work on your repertoire.... ELLE, VOGUE etc are excellent sources to study and learn pose dynamics from... trust that this makes sense...

Food for thought... I model's headshot is by far his/her most important image... agency bookers, casting directors, art directors, fashion designers will invariable identify you with your headshot...  Not see a stellar headshot in your book... I would move forward with this task immediately... please be certain to enlist a full team for this most important image... let the MUA know it's for your headshot thus a "clean beauty" look...  wardrobe should be simple, no bright colors... a white blouse is ideal... limit jewelry to ear decor only... hope this makes sense...

btw, you have gorgeous porcelain skin tone and fabulous blonde tresses... albeit might hit the gym a lit' though to tone and shape if you're heading into catalog swimwear in Honolulu... 

Hope this helps
All the best on your journey...

Thomas 'nailed' it.
Try to find great photographers (and be picky!)
Right now your portfolio is uninspiring. Best of luck in Hawaii.

Oct 30 15 08:22 pm Link

Model

Anna_Hudson

Dallas, Texas, US

Thank you for all of the advice! I am in the midst of a move so it has made coordinating photo shoots challenging. That being said, I cannot wait to get in front of the camera and work on making a grade A portfolio!

Oct 31 15 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

You've been getting fine advice, but the first thing that hit me when I saw your portfolio was this:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150922/06/56015e0408943_m.jpg

It does a poor job of showing you off, so it doesn't belong in a portfolio.

Oct 31 15 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Jan Tanski

Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom

When professionals said what they said it is time for my humble opinion.
You need to work on your facial expression and I really mean it. On all of your photos you have the very same face.
Hundreds of video tutorials can be found on the internet that will help you with that problem.
Try to attend some group photo shoot it will result with lot of good photos, which may lead to further cooperation. Besides during group photo shoot there is make up and hairdresser present so it will only contribute to your portfolio.
I hope my advises were helpful.
Cheers

Oct 31 15 10:08 am Link

Model

Anna_Hudson

Dallas, Texas, US

Great advice and I certainly agree.  Looking up lots of information to help my angles and understanding the importance of lighting when posing!

Nov 04 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Richard Majerski wrote:
First I'd change the photo you have for an avatar-kind of weak.The series in the white one piece swimwear/bodysuit are your best samples.Look to get more shoots under your belt with talented photographers whose work you like.Good Luck!!!

+1

You should change your avatar to this one. It is much better. Just crop out some of the dead space at the top.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151001/06/560d3696ea81d_m.jpg

Nov 04 15 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

HO Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

I find it rare that you wind up on a TF shoot with a wardrobe stylist, working for free. Work with a good team, yes. But to me that means Photographer/model/MUA. Stylists... again, once in a blue moon on a TF shoot. Odd to see this advice thrown around.

Nov 05 15 01:05 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

HO Photo wrote:
I find it rare that you wind up on a TF shoot with a wardrobe stylist, working for free. Work with a good team, yes. But to me that means Photographer/model/MUA. Stylists... again, once in a blue moon on a TF shoot. Odd to see this advice thrown around.

I agree with the wardrobe thing. Once in a blue moon. Sometimes an editorial thing aiming at something like Schon.

Nov 05 15 08:45 am Link

Model

Anna_Hudson

Dallas, Texas, US

Good to know. Yes I would find it challenging and almost impossible to have a full team for a trade to shoot.

Nov 11 15 11:06 am Link