Forums > General Industry > Fro Knows Photo

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I watch a lot of photography videos on Youtube.. Sometimes I'll waste a whole day doing that. I really like this guy's style and his videos are quite entertaining... I know he's on MM, so maybe he'll chime in here.

For those familiar..
Like?/Dislike?

If you're not familiar
https://www.youtube.com/user/JaredPolin/featured

Oct 31 15 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I like his channel.   Learned a lot.

Oct 31 15 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mantographer

Atlanta, Georgia, US

What are some of your favorite videos from him?

Oct 31 15 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I like watching the Raw Talks.. the podcast show.

Oct 31 15 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

I like Jared Polin. I like his reviews just as much as Kai at Digital Rev.  Pull away the goofiness and you got a guy who knows his stuff...He shots a lot of Events and Weddings also.

https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/photo.jpg.png

Oct 31 15 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

Oh yeah...I've seen a couple of his videos before - not bad.

Oct 31 15 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I watch a lot of his videos, he is funny as well as informative.

Oct 31 15 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I like his big personality.  The only episode I didn't care for was when he went off on another photographer.

I make my other photographers watch his videos to learn about photography.  It gives another view point and reference.

Nov 01 15 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I don't think I've seen that one.. I know he likes to clown Ken Rockwell, but who doesn't?

Nov 01 15 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

he was super hard on Ken.  Ken has been around a long time and has way more followers and much more respect from the masses.  Maybe he is jealous of the success of Ken.

Nov 01 15 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

His best videos are when he gets out and shoots and gives advice as he shoots.  Like the skateboarder shoot.  English isn't our first language here and it is great that he does a full demonstration and has so much energy.  He also explains his thinking process.

Nov 01 15 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

He has a swagger that works well in YouTube form.

There are some tutorials that make me feel like I know less after
the video, than before it.

Nov 01 15 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Ok, I'll come in from left field.

I find him annoying. His information is as good as others, so I prefer to watch others.

He is not black, and it is not the 60's, so the fro has to go.

His real claim to fame is how many illegal immigrants he can hide in his hair.

Nov 02 15 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Herman Surkis wrote:

I find him annoying. His information is as good as others, so I prefer to watch others.

I brought his name up during a group shoot.  Most people didn't know who he was.  We watched some videos of him during a break and it was about 50/50 split on liking him.  Not sure what his nationality is.  I think he is American Jew.  I dated a girl with hair like that named Beth a long time ago. Just a guess.

Nov 02 15 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Herman Surkis wrote:

Thank you, I too find him annoying, he may know what he's talking about, but I cant get past his half way yelling and whatever kind of voice that is to even listen to what he has to say.

Nov 02 15 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't think he's a bad guy or a good source of information. He's just another guy trying to turn a dollar using his Dee SLR's. I find that there's some truth in some of what he says, but I have yet to find a wealth of truth in any one thing he has said to-date. I believe he's just using his channel to build a following and grow his name, and kudos to him. Look. Here we are, right? Lol!

I would not say his clips are rubbish or misinformation. And with his humorous-looking approach, he avoids being viewed as arrogant. The way people tend to view me often after I post in the fora on this site yikes  Bahaha!

Dan

Nov 02 15 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Leo Howard wrote:
Thank you, I too find him annoying, he may know what he's talking about, but I cant get past his half way yelling and whatever kind of voice that is to even listen to what he has to say.

that's what a lot of my friends said.  He may be right but they feel they are being yelled at and it's hard to listen too.

Nov 02 15 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

I'm to busy shooting to watch YouTube about how to shoot.

Nov 02 15 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

D a v i d s o n wrote:

it would have been sad for you to watch 15 guys watching fro knows instead of shooting a naked model.

Nov 02 15 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

martin b wrote:

it would have been sad for you to watch 15 guys watching fro knows instead of shooting a naked model.

Lol! I was resisting the urge to look myself, but after you pointed it out and I looked I'm not incredibly surprised tongue  (not that I mean to vilify the creation of nude art in photography at all)

Nov 02 15 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Like many on You Tube, I just wonder what his claim to fame is.  The only thing I really know about him is he likes to shoot raw and seems very proud of the fact.

Nov 03 15 04:12 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Mike Collins wrote:
Like many on You Tube, I just wonder what his claim to fame is.  The only thing I really know about him is he likes to shoot raw and seems very proud of the fact.

He does some practical things: how to shoot with the camera you have. He had never used a Nikon D5500 before and rolled with that, shooting a baker in a pizza joint and he explained well his principles for adjusting shutterspeed and aperture.

I think people who like him do derive some benefit. I don't watch him much as he doesn't come up in the specific things I look for, unless it is a review of a camera or lens.

Nevertheless, he has a following and it is based far more on than on why to use raw.

Nov 03 15 06:32 am Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

martin b wrote:

You got that right. Lol

Nov 03 15 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:

Does being busy shooting include spending the better part of the past two weeks posting non-stop on the MM forums. I don't know about you, but most of my models would get pretty damn annoyed if I kept stopping the shoot to go post something on MM.

Nov 03 15 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

John Jebbia wrote:

Does being busy shooting include spending the better part of the past two weeks posting non-stop on the MM forums. I don't know about you, but most of my models would get pretty damn annoyed if I kept stopping the shoot to go post something on MM.

You must stop this.

I am finding myself agreeing with you far too often.  wink

And sadly I probably spend more time on the computer than shooting.
If I actually remembered 50% of what I learn, I would be a photographic genius.

Got desperate and am pushing to do at least 3 shoots this month.

Nov 03 15 09:48 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Images by MR wrote:
I like his channel.   Learned a lot.

I have met Jarod two or three years ago at the Photo Expo in NYC.

Aside from the voice and things people complain about in here... I absolutely like his idea of getting out of automatic and learn the camera by using manual settings.

As a result, whenever I encounter beginning photographers who ask me for advise how to improve, etc., I like to point them into Fro's direction, because I think it's an excellent start.

Nov 03 15 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Get out of Auto?  Oh, HELL NO! 

j/k  smile

Nov 03 15 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

udor wrote:

I have met Jarod two or three years ago at the Photo Expo in NYC.

Aside from the voice and things people complain about in here... I absolutely like his idea of getting out of automatic and learn the camera by using manual settings.

As a result, whenever I encounter beginning photographers who ask me for advise how to improve, etc., I like to point them into Fro's direction, because I think it's an excellent start.

I think he is great for a start in photography because photography is pretty daunting to beginners.  The photographers I use now started from scratch as assistants who never shot a picture.  Jarod encourages beginners in a great way and takes out some of the intimidation.  The other two youtubers we watch are Jasmine Star and Tony Northrup.  Jarod is the best for beginners though.

Nov 03 15 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Carlo P Mk2

martin b wrote:
English isn't our first language here

Really? I thought English is used alongside Tagalog. I remember having to ask for time and people gave it in either Spanish or English.

Nov 04 15 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Dave McDermott

Coill Dubh, Kildare, Ireland

Some of his podcasts are entertaining but he is a bit annoying. And he has 5 minute tutorials that go on for about an hour. Basically he talks too much.

Nov 05 15 10:33 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Carlo P Mk2 wrote:

Really? I thought English is used alongside Tagalog. I remember having to ask for time and people gave it in either Spanish or English.

Most filipinos are first taught filipino/tagalog,  english is learned at school.  There are also local dialects and spanish.  We have had a few presidents that tried to remove english from the schools because they don't want our language lost.

Nov 05 15 10:39 am Link