Forums > Photography Talk > Digital back on an rb67

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

Anyone here do that? Ive been thinking about it.

Nov 01 15 05:44 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

I havent done it but many old customers have asked me about it.

After the cost of an adapter and a back, you'd be be better off buying a MF digital camera or a BMW.

Nov 01 15 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

The F-Stop wrote:
I havent done it but many old customers have asked me about it.

After the cost of an adapter and a back, you'd be be better off buying a MF digital camera or a BMW.

This certainly seems to be true. Still cheaper to shoot mf on film and just scan it.

Nov 01 15 07:59 am Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Costs for drum scanning MF Film can add up quickly.

You'd be surprised at the range of options available and pricing---- for medium format digital on the used market, to lower end new cameras (Pentax), and to the latest high end MFDBs.  It can be much more affordable than you think, depending on your needs/wants/desires.

Nov 01 15 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I do, sort of.

I have two RZ67 ProIIDs that I use with the Mamiya adapter plate.  I prefer it this way as there are no cables to manage.  Plus, I think the later RZ glass are among the best lenses ever produced (for what I like). 

The crop factor can be a bit of a pain, but I have a a focusing screen that has the crop (both vertical and horizontal) etched into it and pretty much every lens available for the system, so it works out well for me.

The amount of detail these lenses will resolve is insane.  I do HUGE enlargements and they hold up very, very well (the largest to date being almost 8'x8', uprezzed using Genuine Fractals).

I'm testing the PhaseOne XF and, while it's a great system and I may get it, honestly, I prefer the files from my RZ with a Leaf back.  I think the RZ lenses are even better than the new PhaseOne offerings.  But it's a cumbersome system to use.  If I shot handheld a lot, I think it would be a no brainer, but for the kind of shooting I tend to do, I'm very, very happy with my system.

Nov 01 15 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

They make a Digital Back for an RB?

I may have to mortgage the house.  I loved my RB!

Nov 01 15 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
They make a Digital Back for an RB?

I may have to mortgage the house.  I loved my RB!

Not a popular choice for a MFDB, but there is an adapter plate for the RB as well.  The RZ would be a better platform choice imho.

Nov 01 15 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

TheScarletLetterSeries wrote:

Not a popular choice for a MFDB, but there is an adapter plate for the RB as well.  The RZ would be a better platform choice imho.

Ya that would probably be easier to not need the adapter. Personally i prefer the metal body of the rb. Too bad it wasnt just a bit cheaper. Looks like you can get a whole pentax setup for less than the mamiya db.

Nov 02 15 05:57 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
I do, sort of.

I have two RZ67 ProIIDs that I use with the Mamiya adapter plate.  I prefer it this way as there are no cables to manage.  Plus, I think the later RZ glass are among the best lenses ever produced (for what I like). 

The crop factor can be a bit of a pain, but I have a a focusing screen that has the crop (both vertical and horizontal) etched into it and pretty much every lens available for the system, so it works out well for me.

The amount of detail these lenses will resolve is insane.  I do HUGE enlargements and they hold up very, very well (the largest to date being almost 8'x8', uprezzed using Genuine Fractals).

I'm testing the PhaseOne XF and, while it's a great system and I may get it, honestly, I prefer the files from my RZ with a Leaf back.  I think the RZ lenses are even better than the new PhaseOne offerings.  But it's a cumbersome system to use.  If I shot handheld a lot, I think it would be a no brainer, but for the kind of shooting I tend to do, I'm very, very happy with my system.

wonderful first hand account. im going to pass this on to several people asking me for the same advice.

Nov 02 15 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

The F-Stop wrote:
wonderful first hand account. im going to pass this on to several people asking me for the same advice.

Most of the time I shoot from a rather large camera stand:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11049657_10152930254781707_6091316765520605305_n.jpg?oh=b76ed10a97eda02dcf56b4a6bee6565b&oe=56AD45E1

This is the image I was shooting at the time on a set wall we built:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150908/11/55ef2de912e78.jpg

I also shoot it handheld.  This was shot handheld on a moving boat (using film):

18+

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33518231

Nov 02 15 06:59 am Link