Forums > Photography Talk > How to get dress shirt skin tight while sitting?

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

How do I get a male model's dress shirt to stay sort of skin tight while he is sitting? I tried using a clip on the back side, but it didn't seem to work so well, unlike when the model is standing, which works just fine then.

Any ideas?

Nov 04 15 09:04 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Nov 04 15 09:13 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

When I was in the military, we used shirt garters. I think they are also called shirt stays.

Nov 04 15 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Depends on the type of shirt you use to begin with.  Using a regular ole shirt you will get the normal folds.  Start with an "athletic" or "fitted" shirt.  They don't have as much extra material around the waist since they are made of for, well, the more athletic body or guys with smaller waists.  But don't expect perfection.  Your going to get some folds.  To me, it actually looks odd if you don't see any at all.  But the shirts I mention should minimize them from the git go.

Nov 04 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Once seated have him unzip his fly, reach in and make a final adjustment to pull any loose fabric into his pants, as/after he does that, clip the back of the shirt.

Nov 04 15 11:52 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Thanks everyone for your input, I very much appreciate it. I've ordered two of the products mentioned. I'm looking forward to using them.

Nov 04 15 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

your gaffing tape

Nov 04 15 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

poiter wrote:
How do I get a male model's dress shirt to stay sort of skin tight while he is sitting? I tried using a clip on the back side, but it didn't seem to work so well, unlike when the model is standing, which works just fine then.

Any ideas?

After you get the model set the way you go behind him and pull the excess material to the center line of his back.  Using chip clips, those black metal bulldog clips, whatever type works for you, clip the material.  Check the alignment of the button line again before you shoot to ensure you have a straight and natural line.  This works great for dress shirts but be careful when working with knit fabrics as it may cause pulls if you're not careful.

Best of luck in all you do.

Nov 05 15 03:47 am Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

poiter wrote:

Any ideas?

1) Stuff the back with bubble wrap.
2) Use bed sheet straps that have clips at both ends and are elastic

Nov 05 15 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Have him sit on the tail of the shirt. It's what newscasters do, and what I do any time I have someone sitting in a suit.

Nov 06 15 01:35 pm Link