Forums > General Industry > How much to charge for rights to your photos?

Photographer

Lamar Graham

Seattle, Washington, US

I was contacted by a business owner who wants to use 1 of my photos and print it on tee shirts. He asked me how much I would charge him to use my image and I have absolutely no idea what would be a fair asking price. Has anyone ever allowed their photo to be used in similar fashion? and how much did you charge if you don't mind me asking.

Nov 05 15 10:40 am Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

8% royalties is a good starting number with an initial fee (10% of the cost of that shoot).

Nov 05 15 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

There are so many variables when dealing with apparel.

What type of business does he own, brick & mortar, internet print on demand shop with shopify/big cartel or a table at Eastern market? How is he going to market this t-shirt?

Once you get more information, you have a couple different options on how to structure the deal. You can decide to get a royalty per item sold or just license him the image for 12 months for a flat fee. With a royalty deal you accept some of the risk if it doesn't sell, not only does he not get paid, neither do you. If you do a straight license deal, you get paid up front and if he happens to hit it out of the park, you don't make any more money from his success. If he crashes and burns, you don't assume any of the risk either.

Apparel is a tough sell. It all depends on this business man's experience and track record. I've seen so many "business owners" spend a couple grand on shirts and not sell enough to break even.

Nov 05 15 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

First of all, I think the guy is asking for a usage license, not "for the rights".  A usage license allows the client to use the image (within specified limits for a specified amount of time), while "for the rights" means selling the copyright, where after the sale, the client owns the copyright & the photographer can no longer use the image (even in his own portfolio).

For me, there are lots of questions I would ask before writing a usage license.  Some would include:
...  How will the image be used?
...  Are these ads going to be local, statewide, national, or global?
...  How long will the image be used (i.e. when will the license expire)?
...  Does the client want an option for an extension (after the original license expires)?
...  Will the image be modified in any way?
...  Is there an opportunity for them to provide a photo credit?  If so, how?

Sorry, but I can't suggest rates at this time.

Nov 06 15 11:54 am Link

Model

CharlieMW

Dallas, Texas, US

I did a shoot recently where the business owner did not want to have to pay me royalties for the use of the photos. The pictures were just head shots for a salon that were to be used in print ads and billboards. I charged a flat rate of $1000 and they happily agreed. I might have gotten more, but I already had a number in my head when we spoke. Had the pictures been more revealing or used differently, I certainly would have asked for more.

Nov 06 15 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

CharlieMW wrote:
I did a shoot recently where the business owner did not want to have to pay me royalties for the use of the photos. The pictures were just head shots for a salon that were to be used in print ads and billboards. I charged a flat rate of $1000 and they happily agreed.

For the sort of client it sounds like the OP is talking about I'd say $1000 would be a good start and negotiate ( come down ) from there. But it really depends on who the company is and what the relative usage fee, if any, tends to be for that market. You might want to look into it. Like, call some t-shirt companies other than the one you are negotiating with.

If it's Hanes then I'd definitely try to get more. If it's Jo Blow printing T's in his garage, or having them printed and shipped from Taiwan, might not be too much money in it. The mogul T-shirt company Threadless famously doesn't pay anyone who designs their t-shirt art... well known artists just submit designs and consider it to be an honor/ promotion.

*edit* I just looked into that and looks like it might be a little more complicated. It seems like in the act of submitting artwork you are granting threadless non exclusive rights. But potentially if your design get's chosen you win "mad cash". Couldn't find anything concrete about how much$ "mad cash" means. Anyway, they kind of have a lot of info on their sight for submissions that might give you some insight http://support.threadless.com/link/port … my-artwork

So I think like all the questions about what to charge I see on here, it always depends on what your client can and is willing to pay. And to find that out you research precedents.

One thing is that if a client like this isn't willing or can't pay much, you can always try to negotiate region and duration of the license. But again if the company is some joe blow they may not even know what you're talking about.

Nov 06 15 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

NatalieGSundling

Hollywood, Florida, US

Look at the company in general. If they are successful and have a legit business, sign a contract for 10% of the asking price.
If not, ask for a flat fee. This is what I usually do to avoid contract and false hope.

I usually take $500 per picture used.

Nov 11 15 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
First of all, I think the guy is asking for a usage license, not "for the rights".  A usage license allows the client to use the image (within specified limits for a specified amount of time), while "for the rights" means selling the copyright, where after the sale, the client owns the copyright & the photographer can no longer use the image (even in his own portfolio).

For me, there are lots of questions I would ask before writing a usage license.  Some would include:
...  How will the image be used?
...  Are these ads going to be local, statewide, national, or global?
...  How long will the image be used (i.e. when will the license expire)?
...  Does the client want an option for an extension (after the original license expires)?
...  Will the image be modified in any way?
...  Is there an opportunity for them to provide a photo credit?  If so, how?

Sorry, but I can't suggest rates at this time.

This is the proper answer.

Nov 12 15 09:35 am Link