Forums > Model Colloquy > How do you find male models?

Photographer

ECG IMAGES

Fresno, California, US

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions for finding male models?  I live in a fairly large city but it is almost impossible to find male models. Other than MM, what resources do other photographers use?

Nov 07 15 11:03 am Link

Photographer

svenler

San Diego, California, US

rig500 wrote:
Hi, does anyone have any suggestions for finding male models?  I live in a fairly large city but it is almost impossible to find male models. Other than MM, what resources do other photographers use?

Check if there are modeling agencies in your area that rep male models. Another option is to just approach people on the street.

Nov 07 15 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

On Model Mayhem:
Do a search for models in your area and then send them a direct message. Only send messages to profiles that have been logged into in the last 30 days because these will be active users.

On Facebook:
For me this is much better than MM. It requires you finding all the local photography/model groups on FB and then postin a casting there are networking with models that post in those groups.

How to grow your network on Facebook?:
Start by searching the models and photographers in your friends list, on their facebook page, it often lists the groups they are members of, join them. You could also ask your photographer/model friends what FB groups they use.

Use "Search" at the top of FB to search for local groups for local groups. For instance there's a "Fresno photographer"  FB group with 441 members. Yes it's for photographers only, but they are also the best people to know where the models are on FB. :-)

Hope that helps.

Nov 07 15 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

I found my last 2 *Gorgeous* male models...around town...one I found in the parking lot of CVS...and one at a bakery....both ended up being Great models, Good looking and eager to shoot..!!..I am a female...so maybe it's easier for me, then you, to get male models...but I usually just walk up to them and tell them they have a Great look and do they want to shoot...it's always worked for me..!!...*Good Luck*

Nov 07 15 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Your regional norms may differ drastically from up here in Toronto, but I can count on 1 hand the number of good male models I've photographed over the past 5+ years. All are/were agency-models but 1. That 1 is a very new model, and I directed him to head straight to an agency. I even made a connect for him...kinda.

I find MM male models - all the ones I've dealt with or had exchanges with - have an extremely limited attention span, and they change their minds faster than their underwear. If I book a shoot-date with them over 1 week in the future, there's a 5% chance they'll still be at the shoot. They usually flop on my confirmation text the day beforehand. When they answer to confirm, they sometimes start making silly requests, or 'recall' my agreeing to things I've never even discussed before! (Like, buying him a custom outfit that he could keep afterwards as partial-payment plus $200....when we had discussed and agreed to a trade-shoot. That *he asked *me for!)

If you find a good male model, covet that shit. I don't find they're easy to come across. The only ones that are consistently good great are the agency-dudes. I hope that helps big_smile

Nov 07 15 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

If you want responses from male models, all you have to do is post a casting call looking looking for male models to pose nude with a female model.  I once posted a CL ad in talent gigs looking for this and I got responses from literally 200 guys.  Of course the guy that I cast sent inaccurate photos of himself and the back up guy didn't show.  I also once posted a male/female nude photo on my MM portfolio and almost immediately got unsolicited PMs from five or six male models asking to be included in my next M/F shoot. 

Getting male models to pose solo is a different story.  I've done a few private shoots for guys who were paying me, but each time I set up a portfolio shoot with a male model, the guy flaked.  Including a guy who practically demanded that I have a female assistant on the set.  I got the assistant and he still didn't show. 

If you are looking for other ideas, try the CL M4M personals ads.  Just to see what happened, I tried this once.  I posted an ad stating that I was a legitimate photographer looking for guys to do portfolio shoots and that I was straight and not looking for anything else.  I did get a bunch of responses from guys who looked like model material.  The two I cast didn't show up, but maybe you can do better at bringing them in than I did.  At least I got a lot of response.

Nov 07 15 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

rig500 wrote:

OP..I truly wish I knew. I need to start shooting Male Models.

Nov 07 15 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

jkcphotos15

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Maybe I'm just having a good run so far, but it hasn't been too difficult finding male models for solo TF shoots (which is what I'm doing exclusively at the moment). No denying my location helps too. I've worked with about 12 models so far, since joining MM in July this year. Definitely more difficult at the beginning, when my portfolio was lacking-I tried the CL method as well, which for me actually resulted in more no-shows and last minute cancellations than MM.

Definitely take advantage of the MM search engine, I do a 'new to MM' search for models every other week-people are usually more attentive and eager for shoots when they first joined.

Nov 07 15 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ike Lace Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

rig500 wrote:

First, you must find the essence of beauty.

Nov 08 15 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I don't find at all so I photograph myself as model.

Not true, I do find some times but they are never the model I expect because or they want so show their penis, or they want show their homosexuality, and these are the things I am not looking after for my photographs. So I just gave up looking for male models.

Nov 08 15 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

I guess this is just one of those hit and run threads! Any male model reading this thread would see the op as a slow responder.

Nov 15 15 03:19 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I actually just ask guys on the street.  They seem flattered.  I leave them a card and explain that I would love to test with them.

Nov 15 15 04:09 am Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

rig500 wrote:

Well, much depends on the type of model one is looking for. Rugged, muscular models - a gym, martial arts center, boxing training facility, etc.

Dapper Dans - clothing store, art galleries, museums, etc.

Young & fresh - colleges.

Go to where you are most likely find the type of potential type of model you need. For young, try college newspaper add.

good luck

Nov 16 15 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

yoda1

Seattle, Washington, US

Live in Seattle.  Thus far, all models I've worked with have been male. smile  On that note, any female models looking for a photographer to work with in Seattle?

Nov 16 15 09:18 pm Link