Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Cats vs cucumbers

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nov 14 15 11:22 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

That's hilarious.

Nov 14 15 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

Wife showed me that the other day and I tried it on our two cats and guess what? It worked..they freaked out when they saw ithe cucumber after I laid it behind them! Wish I had some video damn it.

Nov 15 15 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I'm wondering why cats react like that. They don't usually like unexpected things behind them, but it looks like more of a fight-or-flight primal reaction. I wonder if the shape and size of a cucumber is similar to some natural cat predator??

Nov 15 15 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Robb Mann wrote:
I'm wondering why cats react like that. They don't usually like unexpected things behind them, but it looks like more of a fight-or-flight primal reaction. I wonder if the shape and size of a cucumber is similar to some natural cat predator??

I used to torment my ex's cat with a rubber snake. Poor thing fell for it every time. If I could get the snake on the floor behind him, he would go airborne EVERY time. I know---I am a bad person.

He was feisty- an indoor/outdoor cat. He was forever bringing us trophies from his hunts... I am sure he encountered real snakes on his adventures.

He would spend HOURS chasing the laser pointer all over the room...

Nov 15 15 07:04 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Robb Mann wrote:

Snakes.

Kittens are the perfect size for a juicy snake meal.

Nov 15 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

I admit it, I laughed. My wife hit me...

If I weren't allergic to cats she'd have five or more.

Nov 15 15 09:57 pm Link

Retoucher

ME_retouching

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I bought a cucumber tonight just for trying this out. I put it behind my cat while he was eating. He turned around, saw it, sniffed it, pawed it, and walked away.

Nov 16 15 08:49 pm Link

Model

Meela May

Spruce Pine, North Carolina, US

That video is just hilarious! I think you guys are right. I was thinking the same thing while watching the video; they probably think it's a snake at first.

Nov 19 15 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

It's not funny, it's cruel. The cat thinks it's about to be snake food, which is why it responds so primally. Cats under stress have subtle ways of expressing their discomfort, like finding a new place to pee. I would certainly not encourage a cat owner to try this.

Nov 22 15 07:08 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Robb Mann wrote:
It's not funny, it's cruel. The cat thinks it's about to be snake food, which is why it responds so primally. Cats under stress have subtle ways of expressing their discomfort, like finding a new place to pee. I would certainly not encourage a cat owner to try this.

My cat sneaks up on me all the time and attacks, then runs... We call it a "cat bat."

Nov 22 15 09:52 am Link